Thread: What causes the barrell to rust?

What causes the barrell to rust?

hi all, ive settled with my two wiehrauch rifles now for about six years, the snap barrell 95k i think? is lightweight, accurate and discreet. where the hw 97k under leaver feels abit heavier and not as well balanced. The barrel seems to rust a bit in places, whats the cause and best treatment?, thanks. Tony

even the grease from your fingers can make the barrel rust. always give the gun a wipe down with an oily rag all over the metal work to stop this happening or spreading. dont soak it in the stuff. just a lightly oiled rag. 3 in 1 oil is just as good as anything else out there. i wipe my riflles down after every session. they still look like new.

dont store them in damp places like a shed or garage. and if they've been out in the cold, keep them in their slip until they're at room temperature then wipe them down. if they get wet in the rain, take them out of their stock and give them a good wipe down all over. its easy to keep them looking nice. it's even easier for the to look bad. it only takes a couple of minutes to give them a quick wipe. they'l last years then.

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    I would suggest there are few bods more concerned abt subtle corrosion than guitarists. Steel/bronze guitar strings are cheap enough, but it's a minor pain to replace them. Oxidised/rusted strings sound shite. Back to the point:

Google

guitar string cleaner

or

guitar swipes

hi and welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    I would suggest there are few bods more concerned abt subtle corrosion than guitarists. Steel/bronze guitar strings are cheap enough, but it's a minor pain to replace them. Oxidised/rusted strings sound shite. Back to the point:

Google

guitar string cleaner

or

guitar swipes
    eh?

Thanks for the advice, will get to work on it. Is a wipe gonna fetch of rust? i was thinking of wire wool or similar?

Thanks for the advice, i'll get to work on it.