Thread: Intro from a compulsive collector

Intro from a compulsive collector

Hi, I've just been reading a few intros and my experience seems strangely similar to others who have spent their lives messing around with airguns. Like many others I have quite recently rekindled my fascination with all things air powered, on this occasion prompted by a move to the sticks and an associated rat problem.

I think I could do worse than just list the various weapons I have owned over the years (as far as my memory will allow) and see what chord is struck with others of a similar age (I'm 51). Deep breath... (in something like chronological order)

GAT gun (177)- Fairly awful "toy" pistol but it was my first airgun (c1971)
    BSA Mercury (177)- Nice break barrel rifle, first proper gun (c1973)
    Webley Junior (177)- Classic "barrel over cylinder" design, this one was smooth bore and great for plinking with those little steel darts etc (c1975)
    BSA Scorpion (177)- Massive break barrel pistol that came with a cocking aid as it was almost impossible to compress the mainspring without it (c1977)
    BSA Airsporter (22)- Bought second hand some time after I had sold the Mercury (c1977)
    Weihrauch HW35E (177)- Bought new for £50, probably one of the best triggers I've ever tried (c1978)

Around this time I bought a job lot of old guns from an acquaintance. These were in various states of disrepair but I do remember one was an Original 50 and one was an early 20th century BSA (very broken though!)

As other things started taking over from my interest in shooting I bought and sold very few weapons after this period although I did purchase a secondhand...
    Theoben Sirocco (177)- Gas spring break barrel rifle. Lovely smooth operating gun but with a weird lock-up problem where the trigger froze occasionally (1984)
    and secondhand (broken)..
    Webley Hurricane (22)- Cost a fiver (broken) and I fixed it and had hours of fun plinking

After this I sold all my guns over a number of years, (apart from the Airsporter) and generally didn't do much shooting for twenty odd years. However, having moved to the country and suffering from a bad rat problem (they ate through the bottom of my brand new shed to get to a bag of dried dog food!!) I took up arms again

Air Arms S400 (177)- Beautiful PCP but I always wished I'd spent the extra and bought the S410 multishot (2003)
    HW 100 (22)- Without doubt the best airgun I have ever owned by a country mile. The design is brilliant and the quality is second to none. And that Weihrauch trigger, wow! (2004)
    FX Verminator (22)- Bought for it's diminutive size which I wanted for ratting; the HW 100 is a bit awkward when shooting from a vehicle (used as a hide). A great gun with a high shot capacity (2009)

Lastly some time after our move to the country I got a FAC and although I've never felt the need for a FAC rated air rifle I do own a Ruger 10/22 which I keep for rabbits (which I have in abundance!)

Well I think it's high time I signed off but I hope to be speaking to you fellow enthusiasts soon.

Cheers

welcome to the forum Pcp freak. after reading your post i think you will fit
    in here nicely ,i also live in Essex nr Gt Dunmow,lots of help and info on here
    and genraly helpful people.
    atb brian

Welcome indeed

try using your Airsporter for the rats

Very satisfying I find

Have fun here

Cheers
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

hi and welcome

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    Welcome indeed

try using your Airsporter for the rats

Very satisfying I find

Have fun here

Cheers
    Thanks Matt
    Interesting comment about the Airsporter. One of the things that attracted me to PCPs is the often mentioned problem of spring fatigue when keeping a springer cocked for long periods and, for ratting, I've found that you need the patience of an angler. Have you ever noticed this spring fatigue problem or is it exaggerated?

Cheers