Thread: Martini Henry Mk IV bullet casting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world

Martini Henry Mk IV bullet casting

I've just got a Mk IV MH from IMA, and want to get into the whole 9 yards of reloading for it. I already reload in various (nitro) calibres & also cast for my 2 BP pistols, so I know the basic mechanics. BPCR is a new arena for me.

But I'm a bit puzzled about casting for the MH Mk IV. I'vre read a number of threads saying to cast .457 & paper-patch up to .468. But a mate has said I ought to cast .468 & not patch it. I'm not looking for amazing accuracy, just average performance.

As far as I can see the advantages of each are -
    .457 patched - the patch helps reduces BP & lead fouling (???)
    .468 - you don't have to patch.

Anyone care to give an insight into what they do ? I'd like to balance this one out. Also, recommendations for a mold ? I've looked at the .468 480gr RCBS mold & a .457 408gr LEE mold, what are you guys using ? I expect there to be more than 1 "correct" answer.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    Last edited by davederrick; 26-04-2011 at 04:55 PM.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    I've just got a Mk IV MH from IMA, and want to get into the whole 9 yards of reloading for it. I already reload in various (nitro) calibres & also cast for my 2 BP pistols, so I know the basic mechanics. BPCR is a new arena for me.

But I'm a bit puzzled about casting for the MH Mk IV. I'vre read a number of threads saying to cast .457 & paper-patch up to .468. But a mate has said I ought to cast .468 & not patch it. I'm not looking for amazing accuracy, just average performance.

As far as I can see the advantages of each are -
    .457 patched - the patch helps reduces BP & lead fouling (???)
    .468 - you don't have to patch.

Anyone care to give an insight into what they do ? I'd like to balance this one out. Also, recommendations for a mold ? I've looked at the .468 480gr RCBS mold & a .457 408gr LEE mold, what are you guys using ? I expect there to be more than 1 "correct" answer.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    its a case of suck it and see....try the unpatch approach first but make sure you fill the air space with any of the recommended methods and use a card and lube cookies too....do not get lube on the bullet base either

Mh iv

Hi Mate,

I don't patch mine and they work really well. Its a Lee mould I got 2nd hand with the rifle from John at Fultons, so will ask him what type it is.

I use BP subsitite, Tesco's econmony porridge oats to take out the air gap, a small waxed felt disk and a bullet greased with a specially developed lube from Allwood Stocks and mouldings (http://www.tfsa.co.uk/).

Even thought the bullet head is quite flat, it works really, really well. Even got a v-bull at 200 yrds

Do yourself a big favour and get a Lee Melter as well. Makes melting lead and forming bullets soooo much easier (and more consistant). Got mine from Henry Kranks

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Sounds like 2 happy shooters, I'll go unpatched first then.
    Cheers guys.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

I 2nd the lee melter from Kranks as well, also they are doing a deal on moulds brought at the same time. A £20 mould for less than £8. Excellent

I wouldn,t paper patch either.
    Use a blow tube between shots and pull through after every 10 rounds and you,ll be fine.
    I take up the free space in the cartridge with Kapok.4 oz (in old money) will last forever.
    Regards John