Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martini Henry Mk IV bullet casting

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world

Martini Henry Mk IV bullet casting

I've just got a Mk IV MH from IMA, and want to get into the whole 9 yards of reloading for it. I already reload in various (nitro) calibres & also cast for my 2 BP pistols, so I know the basic mechanics. BPCR is a new arena for me.

But I'm a bit puzzled about casting for the MH Mk IV. I'vre read a number of threads saying to cast .457 & paper-patch up to .468. But a mate has said I ought to cast .468 & not patch it. I'm not looking for amazing accuracy, just average performance.

As far as I can see the advantages of each are -
    .457 patched - the patch helps reduces BP & lead fouling (???)
    .468 - you don't have to patch.

Anyone care to give an insight into what they do ? I'd like to balance this one out. Also, recommendations for a mold ? I've looked at the .468 480gr RCBS mold & a .457 408gr LEE mold, what are you guys using ? I expect there to be more than 1 "correct" answer.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    Last edited by davederrick; 26-04-2011 at 04:55 PM.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    I've just got a Mk IV MH from IMA, and want to get into the whole 9 yards of reloading for it. I already reload in various (nitro) calibres & also cast for my 2 BP pistols, so I know the basic mechanics. BPCR is a new arena for me.

But I'm a bit puzzled about casting for the MH Mk IV. I'vre read a number of threads saying to cast .457 & paper-patch up to .468. But a mate has said I ought to cast .468 & not patch it. I'm not looking for amazing accuracy, just average performance.

As far as I can see the advantages of each are -
    .457 patched - the patch helps reduces BP & lead fouling (???)
    .468 - you don't have to patch.

Anyone care to give an insight into what they do ? I'd like to balance this one out. Also, recommendations for a mold ? I've looked at the .468 480gr RCBS mold & a .457 408gr LEE mold, what are you guys using ? I expect there to be more than 1 "correct" answer.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    its a case of suck it and see....try the unpatch approach first but make sure you fill the air space with any of the recommended methods and use a card and lube cookies too....do not get lube on the bullet base either

Mh iv

Hi Mate,

I don't patch mine and they work really well. Its a Lee mould I got 2nd hand with the rifle from John at Fultons, so will ask him what type it is.

I use BP subsitite, Tesco's econmony porridge oats to take out the air gap, a small waxed felt disk and a bullet greased with a specially developed lube from Allwood Stocks and mouldings (http://www.tfsa.co.uk/).

Even thought the bullet head is quite flat, it works really, really well. Even got a v-bull at 200 yrds

Do yourself a big favour and get a Lee Melter as well. Makes melting lead and forming bullets soooo much easier (and more consistant). Got mine from Henry Kranks

Sounds like 2 happy shooters, I'll go unpatched first then.
    Cheers guys.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

I 2nd the lee melter from Kranks as well, also they are doing a deal on moulds brought at the same time. A £20 mould for less than £8. Excellent

I wouldn,t paper patch either.
    Use a blow tube between shots and pull through after every 10 rounds and you,ll be fine.
    I take up the free space in the cartridge with Kapok.4 oz (in old money) will last forever.
    Regards John

Quote Originally Posted by daz339 View Post
    I wouldn,t paper patch either.
    Use a blow tube between shots and pull through after every 10 rounds and you,ll be fine.
    I take up the free space in the cartridge with Kapok.4 oz (in old money) will last forever.
    Regards John
    i would use kapok too but swidds uses oatmeal with very good results...i was told not to use a filler as it can create more pressure due to its weight with blackpowder etc...but each to his own

I've got a Lee Melter, but I think the bigger MH bullet is too much to ladle out in 1 go. I might get a Production Pot so I can pour from the bottom.

I'm running the 20lb production pot - easily handles 600 grain Enfield Minies - I can mold a lot very quickly

Cheers

Roy

the lee mould

Just remembered lee stamp the moulds with the model no.

I've got the 90376 mould. 500grn bullets it produces..sound great when hitting the sand bank :-)

Quote Originally Posted by swidds View Post
    I've got the 90376 mould.
    Isn't that a .457 mold ? (Linky) I thought you didn't patch ?

Found this article "Introduction to Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Loading" By Chuck Raithel
    says on Page 37 to use a .446
    (He also says Lee molds aren't that good).

nope

I don't patch them. Come to think of it two of the other guys in our club don't either. Lee moulds see pretty good for the price but I know theres ment to be better ones created specificalyy for the MH by an Australian based company and some guy in the US called old jonti or something?.

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    Found this article "Introduction to Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Loading" By Chuck Raithel
    says on Page 37 to use a .446
    (He also says Lee molds aren't that good).
    Great article by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by swidds View Post
    I don't patch them.
    Could you measure one of the bullets ? I'd be interested to see if they are .457 unpatched.