Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Martini Henry Mk IV bullet casting

i guess you are not a black powder man then, i have a ganhendra to but they have a smaller bore than the martinis so i have to be careful to not mix them up. the good news is that they shoot 457 bullets rather well.
    Where are you getting your trail boss from?

not slugged my bore yet as i not got a 50 cal bit of lead but was told by my rfd friend who blacked my rifle i be ok with .457 bullets.....one of my gahendra is very unusual in that the nepalese script is on the side plate of the receiver not on the top like the normal ones....got the trail boss from kranks of leeds

thanks for the info on the Trail boss i will have to get some from him, i have a friend going up to leeds in a week or so.

your friend is absoloutely right, as i said in my previous reply i have had good results with 457. I did slug my bore and it was around 457/460 however i have worked on 3 of these rifles so far and they are all slightly different, not that much of a suprise as were are hand made by a blacksmith. Have you tried firing a case with a primer in it? 2 out of the 3 i have worked on have had problems with the firing pin,one had a snapped firing pin one was not bent to the right angle the good news is that even one that has snapped off is easy to repair. if you do get around to shooting it i would be interested to find out how you get on as you are only the second person i know who shoots one. How many do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by cmnicholls View Post
    thanks for the info on the Trail boss i will have to get some from him, i have a friend going up to leeds in a week or so.

your friend is absoloutely right, as i said in my previous reply i have had good results with 457. I did slug my bore and it was around 457/460 however i have worked on 3 of these rifles so far and they are all slightly different, not that much of a suprise as were are hand made by a blacksmith. Have you tried firing a case with a primer in it? 2 out of the 3 i have worked on have had problems with the firing pin,one had a snapped firing pin one was not bent to the right angle the good news is that even one that has snapped off is easy to repair. if you do get around to shooting it i would be interested to find out how you get on as you are only the second person i know who shoots one. How many do you have?
    i have 2.....one with the script on the top of the receiver and the other on the side plate which caused alot of talking amongst other collectors as its very unusual...both dry fire perfect and eject equally as good as bores perfect.
    the second one i have as a better trigger pull than the first one....i use a dry moly film as a lubricant instead of oil so i am hoping it will stand up to the gunk that bp / 777 / trailboss leaves on it.
    cannot remember how much trailboss was but i think it was 24 quid.
    if your friend cannot get up for any pm me and i will pick you some up at the weekend

Thank you for your generous offer re Trail boss, if he cannot make it i will get back to you.
    Your Ganhendras sound to be in great condition, did you get them from the Nepal cache via America? The one i have is OK but obviously not up to the standard of yours, another shooter i know bought 2 and one was only fit for wall hanging. the other is only as good as mine. Were you lucky or is there more to this?

Thank you for your generous offer re Trail boss, if he cannot make it i will get back to you.
    Your Ganhendras sound to be in great condition, did you get them from the Nepal cache via America? The one i have is OK but obviously not up to the standard of yours, another shooter i know bought 2 and one was only fit for wall hanging. the other is only as good as mine. Were you lucky or is there more to this?
    got both from the uk in nottingham...about 140 each i think.
    both have slight pitting under the wood line but will only use the best one for shooting and i will keep the other for bits.....wood is ok too and no rot.
    would like a martini too when funds allow but they is plenty of time yet lol.
    you can see the pic of my gahendra on the british military martini forum under my same username as here... loiner1965.
    let me know in advance about trailboss as kranks keep most of they stock in bradford and transport the gear across a couple of times aweek so might not be in the shop....ring up and ask for ken etc

Just had a look on the British military forum, you gun looks good, i also noticed you were one of the people who replied when i asked for help identifying the smooth bore Ganhendra i got from IMA. Haven't shot that one yet but the local firearms section have agreed i can put it on a shotgun licence. Maybe one day i will get round to it. regards clinton nicholls

Just had a look on the British military forum, you gun looks good, i also noticed you were one of the people who replied when i asked for help identifying the smooth bore Ganhendra i got from IMA. Haven't shot that one yet but the local firearms section have agreed i can put it on a shotgun licence. Maybe one day i will get round to it. regards clinton nicholls
    ah......you are the one...sorry for not reconising the username.
    apparently your rifle is mega rare, even rarer than mine.
    they are getting thin on the ground now, both my barrels are solid and not lap welded like the early ones so hopefully pressure will not be an issue.