Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there room for CO2 in target/competition pistol shooting

Is there room for CO2 in target/competition pistol shooting

Perhaps a silly question as i know that CO2 can change with the weather and its reliability is always questioned. Having said that is there room for a CO2 pistol in serious target shooting if so what make/models work well.
    Yes i know very serious pistol target shooters spend a small fortune on special recoilless accurate reliable guns but i am looking at a tight budget.

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    Hi

Putting in bluntly - no.

Let me put this into context. I know there will be an army of ardent CO2 supporters on in a minute saying 'well the world record was held with a co2 pistol for x amount of years...' which may be true...true that is until PCP took over.

I have attended a few (!) competitions over the past few years and I will tell you how many co2 pistols I have seen being used - two. The main reason for this - cost and convenience - it is a pain in the bum coming off the range to change your co2 half way through a match, there being no objective method of checking how much 'air' you have in the capsule. I played around with a tau 7 a few months ago - lovely gun, deadly accurate but your only getting 60-70 shots out of the capsule - 60 shot match + sighters, your pushing the limits already.

If you are in the market for a pistol, then you have two choices - wait until something comes up or bite the bullet and get something half decent - by half decent I am not talking about the Rohms - trust me, I am not a big fan and I have my reasons.

Surrey guns have two fas604's for sale - they will do very nicely for a beginner, and in the right hands will shoot perfectly well.

Lee
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Hi

Putting in bluntly - no.

Let me put this into context. I know there will be an army of ardent CO2 supporters on in a minute saying 'well the world record was held with a co2 pistol for x amount of years...' which may be true...true that is until PCP took over.

I have attended a few (!) competitions over the past few years and I will tell you how many co2 pistols I have seen being used - two. The main reason for this - cost and convenience - it is a pain in the bum coming off the range to change your co2 half way through a match, there being no objective method of checking how much 'air' you have in the capsule. I played around with a tau 7 a few months ago - lovely gun, deadly accurate but your only getting 60-70 shots out of the capsule - 60 shot match + sighters, your pushing the limits already.

If you are in the market for a pistol, then you have two choices - wait until something comes up or bite the bullet and get something half decent - by half decent I am not talking about the Rohms - trust me, I am not a big fan and I have my reasons.

Surrey guns have two fas604's for sale - they will do very nicely for a beginner, and in the right hands will shoot perfectly well.

Lee
    Thank you for your straight forward reply having said that i would love a Tau 7 if i could find one that is. Yes the Fas 604 as been recommended but its finding one from a private seller so it could be posted. Mind you i am not talking about top of the range target shooting but still a pistol that will be consistent would be nice.

You have to put things into context, really. YES, its all pcp now, but thats also cause thats a hype.And because people tend to look what OTHERS use instead of thinking/feeling themselves...It may be true that recent records are shot with pcp. But honestly, can YOU even shoot NEAR the older co2 records? No, you probably cant..CO2 matchpistol are still far better than we are, FACT.
    AND the 1996 co2 record was shot while there already wás pcp, dont forget that!

So, yes, CO2 DEFINATELY has a place in targetshooting! A guy on our club used to shoot Topclass of our country with a CP2 co2. With the 10 bést of the country. Yeah, co2 is really worthless..
    Pcp only becomes 'necessary' if yr shooting 380+ ex 400 or so. Why? Not cause of temperature, cause thats very exagerated, it's mainly because balance shift(co2 is filled on weight not pressure). And better ergo's, grips, adjustability etc of newer pistols. CO@'s are inherently just as accurate as pcp's.
    Well, I'm certainly nót shooting near 380+.

Buy a Tau 7, you'll love it! I have several Tau's, and I shoot BETTERr with those than with my pcp steyr, morini, hammerli or aeron!
    What fits YOU is more important than what its used to power it. Hey, that can even be a FWB65. Thats why I shoot so well with the Tau; it fits me like a glove.
    Its also ridiculous having to change CO2 halfway a match..My Tau's shoot 80-130 shots on a 12gr bulb. AND the Tau (and clones)is the only matchpistol with a grip reservoir. All the others use normal large underbarrel cilinders like pcp's use, which contain 40gr co2 or so=180 shots??.
    Its true you cant séé wether yr out of co2. But if yr smart, you start a match with a full cilinder. Thats what you do with pcp too, dont you?.
    Last edited by hwtyger; 04-05-2011 at 01:30 PM.
    ATB,
    yana

I would much rather use a FWB C25 Co2 than a Fas 604 any day, imagine cocking a FAS 60 plus times in comps, a good recipe for fatigue imo. You can cock a C25 just by lifting the loading tap!!

Most top grade Co2 pistols don't use capsules or bulbs, they are bulk filled & will give more shots per fill than most pcp's......150 shots plus usually.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Decided to start small and work my way up so to speak just bought a Weihrauch HW40 PCA .177 it was secondhand so not a lot spent hopefully it will give me a fair start at targets.

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    You have to put things into context, really. YES, its all pcp now, but thats also cause thats a hype.And because people tend to look what OTHERS use instead of thinking/feeling themselves...It may be true that recent records are shot with pcp. But honestly, can YOU even shoot NEAR the older co2 records? No, you probably cant..CO2 matchpistol are still far better than we are, FACT.
    AND the 1996 co2 record was shot while there already wás pcp, dont forget that!

So, yes, CO2 DEFINATELY has a place in targetshooting! A guy on our club used to shoot Topclass of our country with a CP2 co2. With the 10 bést of the country. Yeah, co2 is really worthless..
    Pcp only becomes 'necessary' if yr shooting 380+ ex 400 or so. Why? Not cause of temperature, cause thats very exagerated, it's mainly because balance shift(co2 is filled on weight not pressure). And better ergo's, grips, adjustability etc of newer pistols. CO@'s are inherently just as accurate as pcp's.
    Well, I'm certainly nót shooting near 380+.

Buy a Tau 7, you'll love it! I have several Tau's, and I shoot BETTERr with those than with my pcp steyr, morini, hammerli or aeron!
    What fits YOU is more important than what its used to power it. Hey, that can even be a FWB65. Thats why I shoot so well with the Tau; it fits me like a glove.
    Its also ridiculous having to change CO2 halfway a match..My Tau's shoot 80-130 shots on a 12gr bulb. AND the Tau (and clones)is the only matchpistol with a grip reservoir. All the others use normal large underbarrel cilinders like pcp's use, which contain 40gr co2 or so=180 shots??.
    Its true you cant séé wether yr out of co2. But if yr smart, you start a match with a full cilinder. Thats what you do with pcp too, dont you?.
    I enjoyed reading your post and yes i would have loved a Tau 7 but again its finding one that i could afford. Not to worry i got the HW40 because it was a cheap-ish start gun but i have not ruled out CO2. The problem with CO2 is there are loads of cheap ones about but to get a good reliable one you will spend quite a lot and my funds are not at that stage yet but one day.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Of course there is a place in modern target shooting for Co2, I have modern PCP's, SSP's, spring FWB 65 and a Co2 and in performance there is nothing between them, convenience and in some cases ballance yes is not so good as a PCP, but they are all capable of top level performance. As long as they were built as top class match pistols then they remain so. I prefer PCP but the others will still shoot to the same level. The ladies world record with a spring FWB 65 shot in 1975 was 391, todays record has only gained a couple of points, OK the target has reduced, but only by 0.5 mm on the radius of the ten!
    The advantage of a Co2 Steyr, FWB or Walther is they are a lot cheaper! Bulk Co2 is easy and indoors the tempature is irrelavent.
    Good Shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Ok what is an honest opinion of the Rohm Twinmaster Action (eight-shot model) i was thinking of buying one new in July. I have bought a HW40 and it arrives tomorrow but i have always had a thing about CO2 and the Rohm name.
    No rush if you have one or tried one and have an opinion i am interested but i was not buying until July so plenty of time.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Join a club, use the NSRA site to find one, try others club guns, and don't buy a Rohm!
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Join a club, use the NSRA site to find one, try others club guns, and don't buy a Rohm!
    Robin

Well thats one strongly against (dually noted) the Rohm.

Someone else did say that the HW40 is better then the Rohm Twinmaster Action he said he had one with yellow grips and it was horrible. There again on this forum i have found people who have had a Theoben SLR98 and hated it when i had one i thought it was the best hunter riffle i ever had.

I was forced into retirement and with no transport there is no club within reach of me i have checked but thanks for the sound advice on clubs.

I dont know of negatives about Rohm. Yes triggers may be less (cause of DA system?) but they're very consistent. The testcard that comes with them is...errr..very small
    On egun.de you find Tau's regularly. And they're cheaper there than in the uk.
    Walther CP2's etc also tend to be quite cheap.
    ATB,
    yana

Rohm are good. I shot 530/600 with my Rohm before I bought my Steyr and I've only shot 542/600 with my Steyr. I really don't know what people have against them.

U.

Quote Originally Posted by urban winter View Post
    Rohm are good. I shot 530/600 with my Rohm before I bought my Steyr and I've only shot 542/600 with my Steyr. I really don't know what people have against them.

U.
    Interesting but people do seem to have a down on Rohm, thank you for your views

I and several other Steyr shooters got slaughtered at 25 meters by a bloke with a Czechoslovak Co2 , 5 shot capsule filled gun.Precision and rapid fire no one got near him.Unsure of the make.Likely he could have done it with BB's but the weapon certainly didnt hold him back.....