Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is there room for CO2 in target/competition pistol shooting

I had to laugh at your reply, but you must suffer from nerves though, probably worried if a Co2 shooter beats you.

Competition shooting is good but you need the correct mental state and just let it happen.

It's a good laugh on here.

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    I know all too well about the pressure side, from a professional position and personal experience.....finals really do take it out of you, especially when it is yours to lose !! - but that is something that comes with experience, and I am getting plenty of that
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

So long as you enjoy what you are doing, that's all that matters good luck for the future.

Are you sure your not getting too old though and the jitters haven't started early.

By the way I can remember buying 3 gallons not litres of petrol for less than £1.00, ahh the good old days.

I'm with Old Fart

As a 1944 model I could fill my Moggy Minor for ten bob/50p

But back on track, I shoot pistol HFT in the main but our shoots incorporate both paper punching and metal plate shooting,

I use a twinmaster Co2 80+ shots per 12gram deadly accurate, a Co2 Smith and Wesson for metal plate,

I also use a Brocock GP pcp also deadly, and a spring powered BSA 240 Magnum,

They all have their uses and they are all fun to shoot,

I also have a Co2 rifle so obviously for me Co2 is alive and well,

250 12 gram for less than 80 quid,

And yes Allegro's were crap!

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Between 10 and about 22 degrees there ís no temperature issue for sure..And thats a cheapo Tau 7..
    Temperature issues are só exagerrated!! They're nót crosmans, you know!
    Near zero, than you might start to see some poi shift. Bút:
    - thats what yr test shots are for, few clicks, solved
    - is it surely the gun? I dont shoot well around zero either..
    - pcp will react at these temps as well
    99% of the CO2 matchpistols use cilinders. So shotcount is NOT an issue. Just fill up before a match. Thats what you do with pcp isnt it so why not with co2??
    Filling CO2 cilinders is no problem at all. You can use simple fire bottles, or restaurant CO2 bottles.
    ONLY issue in some countries, is the data on the cilinders. Bút thats equally true for older pcp's.
    Another issue is changing weight/balance when co2 empties.

I really dont understand; they shot worldrecords with co2, won medals etc. Than why on EARTH should wé, normal shooting humans, nééd pcp?? We dont..We might wánt pcp, but dont nééd it.. If those pistols are good enough for world record, they're surely good enough for us normal match shooters arent they?
    CO2 is by FAR good enough.

WOT E SED

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    I give up! Co2 is great everybody should shoot Co2 anyone that doesnt is a show off. I'm off down the pub this aft to get the barman to fill up my lungs with the stuff and I'm off to spit pellets out from now on.

Hoo f*kn ray!

Sounds like you don't know much about decent beer either, if you want it serving with CO2!

Though my averages are very humble, my next pistol may well be a Steyr; but it will be CO2. As hwtyger says, it won't make any difference up to the highest level, and my £8 3kilo refill at home will last me forever. Why spend £200+ on a bottle and charging gear. Why have the club spend £2k to £3k on a compressor?

Those who want the latest, greatest, fine, but why knock perfectly good equipment and it's owners?

Not all CO2 target guns are rustic Russians.

The humble Tau is surprisingly good...... . (though not Russian)
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Your right. Im such an a hole. Next year I will be on the lookout for old soviet pistols on the start line at the mens air pistol finals. Whoops no silly me they are only shot by old bores in dusty old clubs.

As for beer I'm more of a vodka man. thats one soviet export I'm happy to recommend.

and before you kick off about how effin good they are tell me which of the major manufactorers ie fwb, ahg, walther, steyr still make them?

bam your turn boyo.

Does it matter BOYO if CO2 versions of world class target pistols are still made or not? The mechanicals of the last CO2s are the same as the first PCPs in many, if not mostcases.

They are still exquisite pieces of precision engineering that will perform to far higher standards than you, me, or practically any member of the shooting fraternity.

By your logic it would appear that mechanical triggers are also rustic old hat and anything less than the 2011 model electronic unit is past it.

Don't bother trolling any more, your sarcasm is less than amusing.
    Last edited by derekm; 04-07-2011 at 08:02 AM.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,

shame thought you were up for it with your "dont know anything about beer either" remark, obviously you can give but not take it. Still I know the type we all do.

yes your right when the shooting community which is based around precision instruments moves on and adopts electronic triggers or in fact anything that improves performance then not moving with them makes you a loser. This is a technical sport and every advantage counts, no matter what your performance level if it is improved by adopting new technology you have adopted a loser mentality by not adopting it.

The major companies gave up on co2 as it was not good enough. It just isnt that is it. it is not stable enough to provide the power source that precision demands.

Next time your whining to your mates about why Britain doesnt win anything in the pistol events, take out your fart gas gun and have a good luck at it and the mentality that accompanies it "this is good enough for me, I dont shoot that well anyway".

Your right though, I'm sick of myself. Sorry if my sarcasm offends it is a weapon which is becoming old and therefore inappropriate. You may now have the last word, I'm tired of this thread and low grade arguments.

go back to shooting your cards old timers.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Boring troll.

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Boring troll.
    I am sorry but I agree with Gregory's sentiment completely - I see this attitude all too often at club and squad level, and Derek I must say your attitude is clearly testament to this - can I point out that the OP asked 'is there space in competitive (and I emphasize competitive) pistol shooting' and the simple answer is no - look at the entries to the last 8 years of world cups if you don't believe me - guess what, no CO2 - so either the 'Dad's Army' pistol shooters of this country know something everyone else doesn't OR the 'it will do for me mentality because I only do xy or z' is rife,

And I won't be taking any requests to stop 'trolling' because my opinion differs from yours seriously - I would expect you to respect anyone's opinion as they would yours without resorting to bad language!

Lee
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

Lee, I wouldn't class your posts as trolling; you have an opinion, which you put forth in a polite and correct manner. The other poster's insulting manner and general sarcasm appears to fall into the trolling/arguing for the sake of it category.

Regarding the highest levels of competition, where advantages can come at microscopic level you may well be right.

However, most target shooting and competition is at a much lower level, hence the view that there is still a place for the economies and convenience of CO2, as there is for "bits of Russian tractors" so disparagingly and inaccurately stated by our trolling acquaintance.

Top level comps. aside, technique is probably more important than the tools involved and technique can be learned with "the bits of tractor powered by fart gas".

I would imagine that the likes of Mick Gault could cakewalk a County comp with a Tau 7, though I could of course be mistaken.

Not everyone can afford Steyrs et al, nor can many clubs afford a brace to use as club guns for newcomers.

There is a place for everything. No-one is suggesting that CO2 is the Holy Grail, but to dismiss it out of hand for ALL serious and competition shooting is, with respect, a bit OTT (IMO).

You have every right not to agree, but I think that technique and mechanics are more important than propellant.

'CO2 wasnt good enough' LOL!!! Than HOW did they shoot 396 WR 96 with it????
    I always enjoy looking at people who think that co2's ,which they shot world records, Olympics, championships etc with, arent good enough for 95% of us shooters who dont come NEAR those results. They shot 396 with a Pardini CO2 pistol, the world record in 1996. Yeah, maybe now its 399, geez, ANYONE of you shoots NEAR 396 scores?? Nope, you dont. So do you NEED pcp? No you dont. Is co2 good enough? Yes it is.. When you shooting around 380's THAN you have a reason to speak and say you nééd pcp. Otherwise... And NO I'm NOT a co2 holy-grail fan!! I'm just realistic..I have a Tau 7, co2, my favourite, and also a steyr pcp, a morini pcp, a hammerli pcp and a aeron pcp. Do I shoot better with the pcp's? No I dont.

Why do you see all pcp? Cause its a hype, cause people buy what the neigbour has, and cause people like to try to buy results instead of training properly. I can shoot in the 360's, but if you give a fellow pistol shooter at our club, an ex champ, a FWB 65, he'll outshoot me. As simple as that..
    He himself shot in our countries highest pistol class in the top 10. With? A walther CP2 co2. Pcp's may have extra features: recoil dampener, extra adjustability, etc..But thats about it. Inherent accuracy isnt better. LARGEST disadvantage with co2 was NOT that it wasnt accurate enough, nor temperature, it was weight/balance change when co2 gets less!
    ATB,
    yana

Hi Yana,

Your facts are probably absolutely correct ( I have not checked the scores you refer to - but have no reason to question them), and so are your observations.

I like to shoot FWB 65 and 80 pistols now and again and have no doubt that in the correct hands these old "springers" could still beat most club level shooters and even higher level shooters too.

I also like to shoot various CO2 match pistols and know for sure that in the right hands they too can beat most regular PCP shooters at almost every level.

However, shooting my newer PCP pistols is a lot easier and less hassle. No mechanical cocking needed, and I can clearly see how much air is left at any time in the cylinder, and although generally bigger in size they are also usually ligher in weight.

As the manufacturers experience has increased over the years, we gain other benefits such as better fitting grips (for me at least) simple cocking and more choice of almost everthing

The top level shooters can also rely on some manufacturers support if they need some "on the spot" help when competing away from home - and this can only be gauranteed with a pistol that is in current production.

Every type of match pistol has its place as far as I am concerned - all give pleasure to the users at various levels from back-yard to international competition and all should be encouraged at club level.

What we need is more target shooters to keep our minority and shrinking sport alive for future generations, so "is there room for CO2 in target/competition pistol shooting?" - yes of course there is - and springers too. Are they still at the peak of excellence - I think not - but who cares - the question was "is there room" for them - and the answer has to be YES.
    Last edited by zooma; 17-07-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Is it advisable to remove the CO2 cylinder when the pistol is not in use /overnight, I have a FWB C25 ?
    Evo 10 Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by silvershooter View Post
    Is it advisable to remove the CO2 cylinder when the pistol is not in use /overnight, I have a FWB C25 ?
    I have never done so,the instruction book makes no mention of it, and the factory box is shaped to keep the cylinder on with a space to store one spare, so I would say no.
    Enjoy your pistol
    Peter