Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is there room for CO2 in target/competition pistol shooting

Many thanks Peter, yes, as you say there is no mention of it in the instruction book. Enjoying shooting it and refilling CO2 is very easy.
    Regards Dave.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by silvershooter View Post
    Is it advisable to remove the CO2 cylinder when the pistol is not in use /overnight, I have a FWB C25 ?
    Most of the club shooters I know screw the replenished cylinder onto the pistol, but not enough to tighten it fully until it is used next - especially if the gun is not going to be used for some time.

Some also unscrew the cylinder a little at the end of the days shooting to put the pressure back onto the cylinders own valve and not the pistol valve. This will give a very slight loss of gas as the cylinder disconnects from the weapon - but nothing to worry about..

Shooting on a regular basis I think it probably makes no difference, but when a gun is to be left unused for several weeks some CO2 loss has been noticed and this can be reduced or avoided by not having the cylinder fully tightened as descibed above.

It is also worth noting that there is no need to overtighten the CO2 cylinder to the weapon - just enough for the valve to open and for the pistol to work OK.

My advice when shooting is to fully tighten the cylinder initially by hand ( not using any overdue force) and then back it off by a half turn or so to avoid any problems with the cylinder becoming difficult to remove later. Also, a very small dab of the Feinwerkbau grease on the CO2 cylinder thread every now and again works wonders by keeping everything working smoothly.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Excellent info, many thanks zooma.

This will give a very slight loss of gas as the cylinder disconnects from the weapon - but nothing to worry about..
    only a little global warming
    regards
    Dave
    Evo 10 Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Hi Yana,

Your facts are probably absolutely correct ( I have not checked the scores you refer to - but have no reason to question them), and so are your observations.

I like to shoot FWB 65 and 80 pistols now and again and have no doubt that in the correct hands these old "springers" could still beat most club level shooters and even higher level shooters too.

I also like to shoot various CO2 match pistols and know for sure that in the right hands they too can beat most regular PCP shooters at almost every level.

However, shooting my newer PCP pistols is a lot easier and less hassle. No mechanical cocking needed, and I can clearly see how much air is left at any time in the cylinder, and although generally bigger in size they are also usually ligher in weight.

As the manufacturers experience has increased over the years, we gain other benefits such as better fitting grips (for me at least) simple cocking and more choice of almost everthing

The top level shooters can also rely on some manufacturers support if they need some "on the spot" help when competing away from home - and this can only be gauranteed with a pistol that is in current production.

Every type of match pistol has its place as far as I am concerned - all give pleasure to the users at various levels from back-yard to international competition and all should be encouraged at club level.

What we need is more target shooters to keep our minority and shrinking sport alive for future generations, so "is there room for CO2 in target/competition pistol shooting?" - yes of course there is - and springers too. Are they still at the peak of excellence - I think not - but who cares - the question was "is there room" for them - and the answer has to be YES.
    Well said, this is the best answer to the original question so far.

Colin.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    What we need is more target shooters to keep our minority and shrinking sport alive for future generations, so "is there room for CO2 in target/competition pistol shooting?" - yes of course there is - and springers too. Are they still at the peak of excellence - I think not - but who cares - the question was "is there room" for them - and the answer has to be YES.
    You'll be getting the cold shoulder from some with that kind of well reasoned, non-elitist talk
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    I have to say how entertaining some of the recent hystrionics on this thread have been! Complete with a few prejudices on both sides, but most amusing!

The facts are clear, PCP is no more accurate than Co2 and the world level scores show that, but then neither is significantly more accurate in pistols than a spring! Nina Stolyarova shot 391 air pistol in 1972 for the ladies world record with a FWB 65, todays record 393! OK the target is a tad smaller 0.5mm, big deal! I can't remember the mens record from the FWB 65 days but I think it was 395 ish. Now of course the mens match is 60 shot, but realistically the scores have not moved since then despite the advance in technology, so should we all still use spring guns?

The fact is, a 15 year old Merc or BMW cruises at autobahn speeds as well as a new one, but by choice you'd buy a new one. The same applies to the older but class pistols, a Co2 Steyr shoots as well as a PCP one, until recently we had a club one so I can verify that, we have now converted it to PCP for convenience and so that we could reduce the weight with compact cylinders for juniors, it still shoots just as well, no better, no worse.
    The failings of the eastern bloc pistols was not the propellent it was the standard of triggers, grips, ballance, and sights, but then to be fair to them none were sold at high prices or aimed at the top end of the market, and they met their target niche perfectly.

The answer on "is there a place for Co2" is simple, its yes. But if we have the choice and the funds we go for the most recent technology and that is PCP. We buy new tech pistols for the same reason we buy new cars. Could the top shooters shoot the same with Co2? Of course they can, and also could with a spring FWB65, but they buy by choice modern PCP's.
    Any one who has the tecnical ability and the degree of dedication to succeed at the top level could if they chose to shoot with one of the later top class Co2 pistols, Steyr, Walther, FWB, could perform at the highest level, the fact is, they don't, not becuase the can't, but because they choose to use PCP's because they are modern technology.
    Good shooting,
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?