Thread: 60 and 70 yards with hw100k - question....

60 and 70 yards with hw100k - question....

Hi all

Have been having a few plinks at longer ranges than usual today and hoped someone could answer a question....

Its an hw 100k with a 24xscope (nothing fancy) in .177 at 12ft/lbs, fired off a bipod from prone.
    Pellets were Mosquito Express taken from the tin and discarded if they looked off.

Weather was sunny, approx 20c and pretty still.

Four 5 shot groups at 60 yards, measured edge to edge - My best being 8mm and the others being 15 to 17mm (sorry, no photos )
    Gotta say was very very happy (and a little suprised ) at these results - damn good rifle!

Anyhow, moved back ten yards and was a bit suprised at how much the groupings opened up.
    Although I managed a 5p sized group with three shots the rest of the groups were nearer 40mm edge to edge, so just wondered why (discounting the possibility that I got the shakes )
    Do I need different pellets, or to weigh/size them?

Any help appreciated

All the best
    d

I'd be well happy with that.
    Probably a bit of wind opening things up a bit as Mozzies are pretty light, and seventy yards is a long old way.
    Cheers-dave.

Don't get me wrong, I'm over the moon with it, but it just seemed a big jump for the extra ten yards.

Cheers
    d

A heavier pellet, washed, sized and lubed might get you down to 25mm on a still day........erm...if it means a lot to you.

premierpistol is offline Six out of seven dwarfs aren't happy
    our range has upto 80m and we have a 'christmas tree' type totem pole target with all sorts of things hanging off it, one of which is a 50mm bell. i can hit that 10 out of 10 shots with my 100 on a still day (40mm groups with JSB's is it's and my best on paper targets), but saying that i can get it 6 or 7 times out of 10 with a super smooth hw77 when bench rested.

I know of a guy with a Steyr who got groups of 25mm at 80m that was good to watch through the spotter scope!

stevie h is offline member of verminhunters .25 club
    here is a link of some long rang shooting by my brother , also using a 100k in 177>>>>>http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298919
    Good deals with-Mad Mark,KevG,davestate,westbrom FRENCHI,fizgig,Pok!,MishKing,Peche,bigtime,Seekay tafty,rubble,sandyGBR ,lspdog ,perry(tz),REEVES, techworm,Verminhunter,Telgun,Richbb,Merchant,atheo Mark42,Gary C,Al Bundy,RapidNick,HighlandWarrior, Paul80_2 and more

mikee h is offline Only 3 kids now but still pretty busy!
    Cheers Ste, the 100k is an amazingly accurate gun even with the short barrel it can group superbly out to daft ranges! Going to have another play when the conditions are right.
    -------------------------------------
    You shoot me in a dream and you betta wake up and apologise.... Mr White 1992

just had another go of the 80m targets and tonights conditions were perfect! 50mm bell every shot!

Who says you need £1000's of rifles to get great accuracy?

Care to comment, Gordon?? (for those who dont know what this means, Gordon has a Daystate Grand Prix on order and thinks it'll make him king of the range, poor fool, he couldn't hit a barn! nevermind the door of it)

Quote Originally Posted by premierpistol View Post
    just had another go of the 80m targets and tonights conditions were perfect! 50mm bell every shot!

Who says you need £1000's of rifles to get great accuracy?

Care to comment, Gordon?? (for those who dont know what this means, Gordon has a Daystate Grand Prix on order and thinks it'll make him king of the range, poor fool, he couldn't hit a barn! nevermind the door of it)
    thanks for that Paul we will see, do you want a run down with me to pick it up, you will have to try harder to upset me atb

beagle_newton is offline check my bad ass out on my scootae

Talking hw100

i hit a 50mm bell 10 out of 10 shots at 80m with my brothers hw100 it is a very very good rifle

So what pellets are people using for these 80m shots?
    Have seen jsb's mentioned - what else is anyone using?

Thanks for the help

Regards
    d

Quote Originally Posted by ecophon View Post

Thanks for the help

Regards
    d

Quite a few, i favour jsb's in 4.53mm for the hw100 but i have used crosman premiers, H&N FTT's and AA Fields all to the same range. the crosmans are a little better grouping at 30 to 50m ranges but at 80 the JSB's are a bit tighter.
    In .22 the AA Fields and H&N ftt's are the only ones i've found that give decent groups in my 77 and 35E at long range.

I was going to try those new rangemaster pellets to see what they're like but that'll have to wait until i can find some

ATVB PAUL

mikee h is offline Only 3 kids now but still pretty busy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ecophon View Post

Thanks for the help

Regards
    d
    My 100k doesn't seem very pellet fussy at all, the best long range groups have been with Defiants in the large size,these give the tightest groups when there is very little wind. J.S.Bs Daystate select ,ft Trophys and Superdomes will all give good groups out to 40yards though.
    Daystate heavys give excellent groups too and are excellent for hunting although they seem hard to get hold of now. cheers
    Last edited by snock; 24-04-2009 at 07:56 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    You shoot me in a dream and you betta wake up and apologise.... Mr White 1992

interesting post im thinkin of swapping my daystate mk 4 for a hw100 just because there fuss free and hard as nails, think ive made my mind up! thanks guys

it is probably the change in magnification and zero point making the scope go out at short distance