Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on loading my ROA

.457 is the recommended size for the ROA and no they dont roll out.

Atrixo hand creme seems to be popular ATM at my club as overball grease.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

As above, .457" is the correct size for the Ruger old army. Iv got two of them and both use .457". They arnt going to fall out till they go bang.!! As Smokeless says, wads or filler is down to preference. I use remington no11 caps, they go pop everytime and are easy to fit. Dont fall off but do hang on a bit if lots powder is used. Tim

Thankyou for your advice :-) G.

I hope this thread is still alive and well, Ive just been given a tub of pyrodex, anyone have any advice on how much I should use in my ROA. HAve been using 21 grains of BP till now. Is it a direct substitute or more powerful as 777 is.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    never tried 777, but I use pyrodex & BP in equal measures with little difference in accuracy (or maybe thats just down to me).
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

777 and pyrodex are used by volume as per black powder. Mark a vile where 21 grns {or whatever load you want of black powder comes to and then fill to the same leval with the substitute. weigh this load and theres your load by weight. Iv tried both substitutes and got to be honest when i say no one at our club who has a black powder licence shoots a substitute. However, both 777 and pyrodex worked well with plenty of umph, smoke etc. Accuracy was no different to b/p. As per most things when shooting on the dark side it comes down to personal choice and what works for you and your gun. Tim

Thanks for the info guys, I can only use BP at the club as I don't yet have the storage box or the permits.

24 gr 777 works for me. I use couscous as a filler as I find it much easier to pour than semolina.

Steve

PS My wife once bought me some garlic & coriander couscous by mistake. No effect on accuracy but it did smell nice

Quote Originally Posted by sclg View Post
    PS My wife once bought me some garlic & coriander couscous by mistake. No effect on accuracy but it did smell nice
    HaHa made me laugh, perhaps we should try some different flavour combinations !

Looks like it's gonna be filler instead of wads for me. Shot 12 rounds at the club last night and the wads were all over the floor so I felt obliged to pick them all up. Used 21 grains of Pyrodex and it went well with plenty of oomph !

Quote Originally Posted by lasbrisas View Post
    Looks like it's gonna be filler instead of wads for me. Shot 12 rounds at the club last night and the wads were all over the floor so I felt obliged to pick them all up. Used 21 grains of Pyrodex and it went well with plenty of oomph !
    Hi Steve

I think that is a bonus not a negative !!! ..... pick them up & use them again !!

Perfick !!

Roy

I use 24g (volume) of 777 in my 44 Remie if using Pyrodex you can use the same as.
    Tried wads shop bought, and made my own from felt - see any good model shop/craft type outlet.
    Also used fillers as mentioned, however all I use now is Trex - veg oil based over the balls, you can mix in beeswax to make it a tad thicker. I got this from a US Cowboy Action Shooting website. The American's have a different name for Trex can't remember what they call it, but same thing.
    Friend of mine always likes a big bang magnum rounds etc at max uses 30g (volume) of 777 in his Remie and gets good results, this I would say is the max and convey out of interest.

Pyrodex when used, you need to clean your gun pretty sharpish or you will get corrosion. Also 777 more user friendly when it comes to cleaning your pistol.

777 is about 20% more powerful than B/P or Pyrodex .

Yanks call Trex 'Crisco', I believe. Again, I believe that the yanks call semolina 'farina'.

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    slight tangent
    I've recently aquired a modified Old Army which has a nitro/shotgun primer conversion.
    Anyone got any advice hints or tips on loading this?
    Gun control means using both hands.

I believe that Kershaw Engineering do them so might be worthwhile to give them a call as this is quite a niche gun.