Thread: .36 pistol recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You could go for a .36 Colt Sheriff - Navy 1861 (Pietta). I have one as well as a .44 Remington Target sights s/s Euroarms. The finish on the Pietta Colt Sheriff is very good and it shoots sweet comes to aim better than my .44.
    Mine likes 15gr of Pyrodex by volume. I have used it with 777 starting from 12gr going up to 15gr, but it seems to prefer 15gr of Pyrodex.
    The wedge thing is a bit odd and can be a swine to knock out, I use an old brass key blunt at the end or a flattened .303 case. You soon get used to this its not a problem.
    You should be able to pick one up second hand for less than a £100.
    I bought mine from a club member for £75 (as new powder, balls and flask) he had only fired x2 cylinders with it and concluded b/p pistols were not his scene.
    As the loading arm is short it is a little harder to load the ball though. A friend of mine got round this by making a metal sleeve for more leverage.
    The 1861 Sheriff is easier to load than the 1851 Navy Sheriff. The design of the 61 more advanced.
    Have a look at the Henry Krank Catalogue on the net for further ref.
    Cleaning is no worse than a solid strap, I would say.

Regards, JP..

Just a thought but wont a .36 be heavier than a .44 of the same model ? A smaller bore must mean a thicker barrel/cylinder thus more weight. As i say, just a thought as iv never owned a .36.
    Out of all the revolvers i have fired i recon the Pietta .44 Colt 1862 was probably one of the lightest. Henry Kranks list them on their web site. "wwwhenrykrank.co.uk" Shown as item 164. .44 cal, 14cm barrel and weighing 1 kilo. Theres also the 1861 navy which is listed as item 163A which is .36 cal with the same short barrel and 1 kilo weight. Funny looking things though with not having a top strap.
    Personally i would stick with the rogers and spencer or go for the remmington both which only weigh .25 kilo more. Both shoot really well with no real faults and theres plenty of them around both new and second hand. Happy searching. Tim