Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: are all 12g co2 capsules the same?

are all 12g co2 capsules the same?

by that i mean is 1 manufacturer better than another, or are they all the same? does 1 contain more of the good stuff than others

It depends on the pistol/rifle, main difference is the necks of the bottles, umarex are about the cleanest, i find the crosman ones oily and full of black oxidization

umarex guns = umarex C02

the ones i had my eye on were crosman, seem very cheap. are you saying that the oil does more harm then good? i'll be using a cybergun 1911 & asg cz 75 p-07, both blowback

I buy mine in bulk from Tyre Inflators as this works out cheaper than 'branded' capsules from my local RFD. I was under the impression that there's no difference between brands, other than some having a little lubricant inside them but I always clean and lube the ends anyway. Be interesting to see if anyone disagrees with this...
    "You can't stop here, this is Bat Country!"

I just buy whatever I get the best deal on, the ones with the lube are fine but you only really need to use oil every 5 or so capsules (you dont have to buy bulbs with oil in them, you can just stick a drop of CO2 gun friendly oil, like pellgun, on top of the bulb). CO2 is such a tempremental gas anyway I don't think you could easily tie down badly performing capsules to a manufacturer.

I have noticed that different manufacturers make slightly different sized\shaped bulbs, but I've always been able to fit them into all my guns and never had a problem with leakage or sealing. There are threaded 12g bulbs but I've never had a gun that uses them.

The last lot I bought were crossman, but as far as I can tell they performed as well as a box of unbranded ones I had left over from my splatmaster back in the 80s.

Get them from JSR, own brand (unbranded). Around 32p each, gas is dry & clean. No problems after 100s of capsules.

Dynamit Noble who imported the RWS C225 recommended NOT to use Crosman, saying the oil clogged up the works. They said anything but.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

JSR as in www.jsramsbottom.com ? all i can see on their site is crosman & umarex

That's a surprise. I wonder when they dropped their own, or if the omission is an error. Over the last couple of years the website has been less than accurate at times.

Contact them and ask.

If they have dropped their own CO2, then I guess they'll lose a bunch of customers.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,

JSR just replied almost immediately to my email; they don't have a date for receiving more of their own CO2, but it is likely to be 4 + weeks.

Worth waiting as long as you are not completely empty.

Most people seem to say they are all the same but I find there is a few very small differences which in most cases probably dont matter.

For example I did some serious testing last week with a modified rat catcher. I used 3 brands (Crosman, Umarex, and ASG) all 3 had slightly different neck size. The crosman capsules are minutely bigger in length and diameter. The asg capsules gave the best power figures with the crosman second and the umerex last. The differences are tiny but they are there.
    hoplophobe

All CO2 obeys Boyles' and Charles' laws of pressure volume & temperature.

Maybe the differences you found were due to the temperature of the gun dropping during the tests as more shots were fired.

The differences i noticed where an average over a whole capsule. I did leave a good while between capsules so maybe air temperature was a factor. Having said that the umarex capsules where down about 1ftlbs on the ASG capsules. Perhaps they where under filled
    hoplophobe

At a given temperature, as long as you have some liquid in the cartridge, the pressures should be the same. The quantity of liquid is immaterial.
    Over 3 cartridges, say 240 shots in a session, the gun will cool considerably, lowering the pressure.

Umarex have different length head iirc. Longer?
    I've had several problems with them piercing too soon (before the cap sealed) with my tau 7 Junior..
    Crosman for me, NEVER had any problem with those..
    I've seen walthers as well, even 'maintenance caps'(with oil probably)
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    At a given temperature, as long as you have some liquid in the cartridge, the pressures should be the same. The quantity of liquid is immaterial.
    Over 3 cartridges, say 240 shots in a session, the gun will cool considerably, lowering the pressure.

While I have no doubt that what you say is scientificly correct. I know for a fact that the 20th shot is always lower power than the 1st even if you leave the gun to warm for a lenght of time.
    hoplophobe