Thread: bsa original pylarm pellets .22

bsa original pylarm pellets .22

just had an amazing find in east dereham went into a little backstreet junk shop that sells the odd old airgun anyway he had not got any airguns in but he had got a box containing 10 tins of original 22 pylarm pellets when asked how much he said it would have to be £20 for the lot needless to say i had my wallet out quicker than lightning what a find especially as i have just got a webley vulcan in 22 and it loves these pellets and before anyone asks no i wont sell any these are like gold dust

What will you do with the tins once you empty them though? Collectors may be interested in empty tins too
    Regards Martini
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

have to keep my eye out when i am in dereham

why would anyone want empty tins?????ps smallholder not letting on where he is as he often has little gems as he is always going round auctions which is where he picked up these pellets just been trying them in the vulcan and as i thought it loves them !!

[QUOTE=claude;5103816]why would anyone want empty tins????? QUOTE]

A good question, but collectors are a strange bunch.

McAvoy's are advertising the empty Pylarm tins at £8 each.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    I may be wrong but is it because the older tins are more substantial and have the screw on lids as opposed to most modern ones which are not?

Airsporterman

why the hell would you pay £8 for the tin i would want it full for that!!

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by claude View Post
    why the hell would you pay £8 for the tin i would want it full for that!!
    I've seen empty cardboard boxes make £100

If you collect old pellet tins (as I myself, and many on here do to varying degrees), it is always nice to have some or all of the original contents, as I personally like to try old pellets through old and new guns to see how they go. As to "why the hell would anyone want an empty tin".....Well, when you are talking about tins that are nearly 100 years old, the contents are rarely still there, and the fact that the thing has survived either being used as a target, or having a nail through it and being used in a shed as a storage jar....In fact many really old tins I have had only survived because they had been full of nails / screws etc. on a shelf since before WW2!

In Hillers book, there is a pellet tin section, it is just a part of the related ephemera of shooting / collecting old airgun stuff....some folk collect old gun brochures and handbooks and will pay a fortune for early ones, others will pay loads for a gun in a box that has never been used, and will never use themselves.....If you think about it logically, all anyone needs are maybe 2-3 guns to do every discipline in airgunning.......but where's the fun in that

ok fair enough mate got your point guess what i did with the first tin yesterday after emptying contents into my pellet pouch ? needless to say it now looks a bit worse for wear did not realise they would be worth anything .i used to be a panel beater but i think this might be a bit beyond me !!!!!!!!!!

LMAO Claude,but you enjoyed doing it and obviously showed you can hit what you aim at which is what its all about
    ATB Martini
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by claude View Post
    ok fair enough mate got your point guess what i did with the first tin yesterday after emptying contents into my pellet pouch ? needless to say it now looks a bit worse for wear did not realise they would be worth anything .i used to be a panel beater but i think this might be a bit beyond me !!!!!!!!!!
    ......Back in the late 1960's / early 1970's we would club together and get a tin of say Webley specials, sending in the tallest of our group to a friendly gunshop owner who would usually turn a blind eye to a 12 year old buying pellets.....back at the den, the contents would be divvied up into eager little waiting hands (with usually an argument about if someone appeared to get a couple extra).

Anyway, the now empty tin would be set up a few yards away and peppered by everyone until we got bored, and headed out across the fields in search of more targets.

Those particular tins empty now make maybe £10-20 depending on condition, So should I have kept them all the ensuing years to make a few quid???.......nawww........to much fun at the time

Went to East Dereham yesterday myself got there about 11.30 so must of just missed them

you have to know where these little junk shops are my freind he has promised me some unopened tins of eley wasps too from his same supplier but wont let on where he gets them but i have my suspicions as i have heard of a very old gun dealer out in a village that has just gone into retirement but at the prices getting them at not really bothered the man in question is an old school freind of mine