Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanfoglio Witness 1911

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have three.
    Prices vary wildly but should be under £100.
    At the moment they are the best blowback BB pistol you can get.
    Sig X5 used to be best but this one is the boy now.

Rayee is offline I don't need a gun; I've got an attack butterfly.
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I have three.
    Prices vary wildly but should be under £100.
    At the moment they are the best blowback BB pistol you can get.
    Sig X5 used to be best but this one is the boy now.
    I agree entirely.
    Toilet trained since March

I've got a real one. na na na na na!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/IMG_4327.jpg
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Show Off!
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Interesting, which model is that?

What they all said.

Where did you get the spare mags from may I ask?
    Morally flawed

Pyramydair.com 44mag told me.
    USA so postage steep.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanator View Post
    I've got a real one. na na na na na!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/IMG_4327.jpg
    That's a Colt Commander rather than a 1911 A1 I believe - more common in .38 than .45ACP.

Used to have a 1911 in the 80's which is why I find these replicas sooooo disappointing.
    El-bow, the Spanish Archer

Quote Originally Posted by pablowatercolor View Post
    That's a Colt Commander rather than a 1911 A1 I believe - more common in .38 than .45ACP.

Used to have a 1911 in the 80's which is why I find these replicas sooooo disappointing.
    It is a Colt M199A1 Commander model in .45ACP. Like you, I used to own a full size M199A1 back in the 80's before I came to the states. The mid size version is easier to carry on my person.
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223

Interesting, I've never owned one but I am familiar with it. Why do you find them so disappointing?

When you've owned the real McCoy, the imitation falls short. Though the Tanfoglio pistol appears to be a well made replica.
    Last edited by Vulcanator; 23-09-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling

I can understand that. I now actually find the CO2 guns as much fun, and you can shoot them in your garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanator View Post
    When you've owned the real McCoy, the imitation falls short. Though the Tanfoglio pistol appears to be a well made replica.
    Obviously something costing £80 is not going to be as good quality as the real thing costing £500 or much more if you want a custom one.

The thing about these guns is unless you live in the wilds of America or somewhere similar you would have to go to a firing range that could be miles away to use it.

With one of these is you have a garden you can just go out the back door and shoot away to your harts content apart from that in this country this is as good as it gets.

Sensory overload

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Interesting, I've never owned one but I am familiar with it. Why do you find them so disappointing?
    The real thing is actually heavier when fully loaded (although it gets lighter as you shoot it heh heh... )

It's the whole thing - Seven rounds in the mag, jack one into the chamber, lock the slide, eject the mag and load an extra round to give you eight shots - that's what they mean by 'locked and loaded'. There is nothing to match the a heavy twisting recoil, muzzle flash, noise and smell, not to mention the occasional hot case down your neck (or scrabbling about for your spent boxer primed cases... )

Look up Massad Ayoob on YouTube if you want to see some real hangun action and see what I mean - he wrote 'In the Gravest Extreme'.

On a sensory level, the CO2 replica is simply underwhelming by comparison.
    El-bow, the Spanish Archer

The real thing is actually heavier when fully loaded (although it gets lighter as you shoot it heh heh... )

It's the whole thing - Seven rounds in the mag, jack one into the chamber, lock the slide, eject the mag and load an extra round to give you eight shots - that's what they mean by 'locked and loaded'. There is nothing to match the a heavy twisting recoil, muzzle flash, noise and smell, not to mention the occasional hot case down your neck (or scrabbling about for your spent boxer primed cases... )

Look up Massad Ayoob on YouTube if you want to see some real hangun action and see what I mean - he wrote 'In the Gravest Extreme'.

On a sensory level, the CO2 replica is simply underwhelming by comparison.
    Oh yes, remember it well, but I don't buy a CO2 replica expecting the same experience. It is however as close as you can legally get and allows you to shoot loads and loads cheaply and safely in your own garden which is awesome. I miss the smell and ejecting brass is undoubtedly really cool but a classicly styled automatic pistol with a couple of thousand rounds of ammo and gas is excellent for under a hundred quid.

I fully understand your points, but I recommend you give one a try if you get the chance, they are fantastic fun.

I always thought "Locked and Loaded" refered to a muzzle loader with a charged barrel and the action at half cock. What you describe is condition one, safety applied, a chambered round and a full magazine in place.