Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTC Genesis 5-20 x 50 LR

MTC Genesis 5-20 x 50 LR

MTC Genesis 5-20 x 50 LR – AMD Reticle

This arrived last week and I got round to mounting it on a rifle this weekend. First impression, the box is well made and ‘unrolls’ around the long edge with magnetic fastening. Contained within the box, is the scope itself, a separately wrapped sun shade and 2 batteries for the illuminated reticule. The scope comes with Butler Creek flip up covers already fitted.

I bought the Genesis to mount on a Tikka T3 Varmint in .223, with a 1:8 twist. The rifle is dual purpose in terms being primarily a fox gun, but doubles for target work hence the need for a scope with a high magnification capability.

I mounted the scope on Sako 30mm rings and bases and bore-sighted the rifle for 100 yards in doors before taking it out to zero. I set a target out at 100 yards, confirmed by a laser rangefinder. It was 14:00 and bright and sunny, with a stiff breeze coming from the right.

Before firing, I set the side PA to 100 yards and looked through the scope at the target at x5, x10 and x20 magnification. Each time I adjusted the PA to where I felt I had the sharpest focus, each time the sharpest focus (to my eye) was spot on the 100 yard dot on the PA wheel. I repeated this at 50 yards with the same level of accuracy.

Took the first shot at the 100 yard target. The shot struck 3 inches left and 2.5 inches low. Bearing in mind the ¼ MOA, I moved the turrets 12 clicks right and 10 clicks up. The target turrets have screw caps over them (which I prefer, as it reduces risk of ‘accidental’ clicks). The turrets moved very smoothly yet very positively. The second shot struck almost exactly as planned (my 3 inches left and 2.5 inches low were approximations but close enough for the purpose of zeroing). I moved 1 click left and 1 click and the next round struck precisely as planned. This has the rifle zeroed 1 inch high at 100 yards as planned.

I then set the magnification to x10 and put the centre of the crosshairs on the centre of the target. The top of the crosshairs was exactly on the bullet strike as planned. The AMD reticle does exactly what it says on the tin, with lots of useful aim points which makes it equally useful whether mounted on an air rifle or a centre fire.

The tests above made me very comfortable with the technical aspects of the scope, but don’t really do justice to what I think the real strength of the Genesis is i.e. the quality of the glass.

Having used what is classed as ‘traditional’ high end glass the Genesis certainly punches above its weight. The image is crisp and clear even at x20 and the 50mm objective on the 30mm tube is terrific at gathering in the available light.

In summary, a fantastic scope with terrific glass at a very competitive price.

Regards,

Doug
    All generalisations are dangerous, even this one!

Helpful review been waiting for someone to take the plunge and review.

One is definitely on my shopping list when funds allow.
    Annie 1517 HMR DM80 Mod - CZ527 .223 REM PES Mod
    Marlin 7000 .22RF Sak Mod - Mossberg Section 1 Pump

Quote Originally Posted by MX5-Pilot View Post
    Helpful review been waiting for someone to take the plunge and review.

One is definitely on my shopping list when funds allow.
    It was a no-brainer at the price. Which makes it even better in my book whne you consider the quality.

It's certainly worth taking a look a look at one and judging for yourself.

Doug...

Thanks for the review.

I was thinking about getting one you have jsut made up my mind for me I used to have the viper 10x44 if its anything like that I will be happy

scope

what is the retail price of the scope

Quote Originally Posted by longrange View Post
    what is the retail price of the scope
    The RRP is £349 which includes a set of Butler Creek flip-ups.

Here's the MTC webpage for the Genesis, go to Reticles to see the AMD ret. HTH

I have read that they are bringing out a 5-20x40mm soon, the 40mm suit my shooting/eye better so think i will wait and see what this is like.
    Might even wait until feb for the Newark show.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzo! View Post
    I have read that they are bringing out a 5-20x40mm soon, the 40mm suit my shooting/eye better so think i will wait and see what this is like.
    Might even wait until feb for the Newark show.
    Not as far as I know, the next on is a 4-12x44 ultra light

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    Not as far as I know, the next on is a 4-12x44 ultra light
    Who told you that?

Doug...

Question

airgun world nov issue it said 1"inch tube 40mm ultra light , i assumed this would still be 5-20

Are the turrets re settable? to 0 to make dialing in easier.
    Annie 1517 HMR DM80 Mod - CZ527 .223 REM PES Mod
    Marlin 7000 .22RF Sak Mod - Mossberg Section 1 Pump

Quote Originally Posted by MX5-Pilot View Post
    Are the turrets re settable? to 0 to make dialing in easier.
    From the photos they look like the type where the turret/scale is secured using three small grub "screws".

If that's the case they can be backed off, the scale reset to zero, then retightened (gently). Job done.

Thanks for the review Doug, I've been looking at getting one for a future rifle purchase and I wanted some real world opinions like this and it sounds perfect for me. I particularly like the reticles on this scope so I was really hoping it would be given the thumbs up.

Boo.

I noticed on the MTC page about the scope it is a 'second plane of focus' scope. Does that mean the zero will change at different mags?

Still not exactly sure what it means so if someone could please explain?

Thanks!

Atb,
    Danny.
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22/BRNO Model 2/Remington 597/Buckmark/Marlin.44

Second focal plane means that the ret stays the same size when the mag is changed. The zero (on the crosshair) will not change but hold over and hold under will change with mag. For instance if on 10x mag if you use the 1st mildot at 45 yards, then on 20x you will need to use the 2nd mildot (the target is twice the size than on 10x but the ret has stayed the same size) and on 5x you will need to use 0.5 mildot (the target is half the saize than on 10x).

Hope that helps.