Thread: Meopta Artemis 3-12x50--Swarovski 8x50 comparison

Meopta Artemis 3-12x50--Swarovski 8x50 comparison

I already owned the Swarovski but found the ret (illuminated 4A) limited so purchased the Meopta, both fitted to my Tikka M595 .22-250 which apart from being the love of my life is also my main fox and go to rifle.

Build quality,
    Swarovski is alloy, Meopta is steel, both one peice construction and both solid, meopta is heavier in the hand but no noticable difference when mounted

Turrets,both low profile hunting type, both 1cm clicks at 100m, both smooth and positive, only swarovski can be reset to zero.

Optical quality (both veiwed at 8x), I viewed both as the sun went down and in woodland, if there was anything in it my eyes could not tell, swarovski seemed sharper on flat items (roof tiles etc) but Meopta had better definition in woodland

Reticle, my main gripe of the swarovski was always the ret, for fox/deer, fast targeting its unbeatable but for longer distance work it blocked out smaller targets (crows) the illuminated dot was very good but I rarely used it. The meopta has the 4B ret in the first focal plane, it provides a finer more user friendly ret making longer shots and load developement work easier, it also has aim points on the lower vertical (6 o'clock) position and two windage marks on the horizontal, once the wind dies down I can get to work on working these out with my loads. the rangefinder graticle so far seems to work well but I'll reserve judgement until its proved itself on live quarry.

I doubt I will get rid of the swarovski but will transfer it to my .270, for now the Meopta is staying on the .22/250.

No animals were hurt during the production of this reveiw

Hope this is of use to someone, take care Pete
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Very useful, thanks.

I too have a 3 - 12 x 50 Meopta, cost me £250 SH.

Superb value and I agree optically on a par with the Swarovski's I have owned previously.

Meopta

I am new to BBS and have found some interesting articles already but, your post is one I have real interest in.I have not seen anyone give a direct comparison with the Meopta before. Though I do not own a Meopta
    I have always thought them to be one of the best scopes out there. I never understand why they are not more popular. Your post has made me start to look for one now.
    Many thank's
    Frank

Sort of the unsung hero really there is lots of feedback on the 'big three' but Meopta is not far behind if not right up there.

Interesting. As much of a Meopta fan as i am (I've owned that scope too) I am amazed the Swaro didn't smash the Meopta for resolution and certainly field of view - just because it's a fixed mag versus a zoom. It is impressive that they are comparable optically - well done Meopta
    Marksmanship = Accuracy, Consistency, Observation and a little of The Force
    SharpshootingUK www.sharpshootinguk.com

I have a 1990's 7x50 in steel. Brilliant optics. Gone back on my CZ 452 17HMR.
    It has the German No 1 Picket Post Reticule...Sniper Type.
    Fantastic quick target aquisition all all light conditions including lamping.
    Don't understand why this is not more popular for high velocity rifles.
    The Picket Point post give precise aim with the target just sat on the top.
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

Quote Originally Posted by manxteddy View Post
    I have a 1990's 7x50 in steel. Brilliant optics. Gone back on my CZ 452 17HMR.
    It has the German No 1 Picket Post Reticule...Sniper Type.
    Fantastic quick target aquisition all all light conditions including lamping.
    Don't understand why this is not more popular for high velocity rifles.
    The Picket Point post give precise aim with the target just sat on the top.
    Graham
    I also have the 7x50, against my mates 8x56 S&B neither of us could tell any difference in usefulness at dusk.

Use it under lamp too, excellent optics.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple. -O.W. 1895

I have a meopta artemis2100 3-12x50 on my 223 and meopta meopro 4-12x44 on my hmr.both scopes are fantastic imo.

Series 2000 were steel, 3000 Series aluminium sold loads.
    3100 series aluminium with illuminated ret.
    Price has increased wildly the last 8 years close on Kahles.