Thread: 1912 BSA Improved Model D .22 - looking for parts

Question 1912 BSA Improved Model D .22 - looking for parts

Hello everyone,
    I purchased the 1912 BSA IMD in .22 s/n 50603, it has the wrong foresight and is missing the number 10 barrel-mounted rear sight. It also has stock-mounted number 21(?) peep sight -the bottom adjustment screw is bent and stuck. I'm looking for those parts, located in Florida, US.

More pictures (for some reason they don't open up in the thread):

Last edited by toshik; 06-12-2011 at 12:25 AM.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi and WELCOME to the BBS. Think Guns International may be able to help you out, if not member Lakey on here is bound to know what to do. Anyway, once again, WELCOME to the BBS and Collector's Corner in particular (the best bit by a clear country mile ). Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hi Toshik,
    What a beauty - some really good .22 Imp Mod D's turn up in the US. I would try John Knibbs at the Country Store, who will have reproduction sights, though the screw for the aperture sight will be more differcult to find - you will probably have to repair the original. How did you come by such a fine rifle ? Any more pics ?

Cheers
    Last edited by silva; 07-12-2011 at 12:00 AM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

I finally took it apart and got a horrible picture: spring is extended by a piece of garden hose, piston seal and screw are history as well as one set screw...

Last edited by toshik; 06-12-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Hi Tony,
    Your gun is in a poor state of internal repair, as so often these old guns are found to be. Where to start is the biggest question followed by where do I get the bits from? You may find the following list helpful, in order to order replacement parts.

So the parts you will need are

(1) repro (assuming you cant find an original ) foresight for an Improved model D

(2) repro rearsight complete (again if no original can be found)

(3) 1 replacement mainspring

(4) Leather piston washer assembly (Outer leather piston washer, Inner filler washer, Brass dished washer, and piston washer screw)

(5) Auxilliary cocking lever pivot screw

(6) Auxilliary cocking lever pivot (keeper screw)

I think the screw for the aperture sight will be like hens teeth to find. But good luck. It would be probably easier to repair the original if that were possible

All the other bits can be obtained from John Knibbs (or sometimes chambers airgun spares )

The two links below

http://www.airgunspares.com/

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/

When ordering any parts make sure you state that the spares are for a 1912 Improved model D .22 (No.2 Bore) That should help narrow down the search a bit.

Good luck with your search

Lakey
    Last edited by Lakey; 06-12-2011 at 04:48 PM.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Tony, as Lakey has listed, all the screws (except the sight one) and internal parts are available at J. Knibbs, If you have trouble removing the snapped off keeper screw have a look here. You need to find a heliarc guy and show him the job, If he is up to snuff it is a 5 min. operation.

The rearsight may have been removed by a previous owner as they get in the way if using the aperture......you can use the aperture in two ways, either to sharpen up the fore / rear sight image (a sort of helper), or remove the insert blade and wheel of the rearsight and use with a clear sight line.

These rear sights are hard to find, even over here......they do turn up on the Bay now and again so may be worth saving a search, but you will be in competition to get it!

Another option which I have seen, and looks better than the obvious empty dovetail on the barrel, is to make an insert piece that is dovetailed and rounded to suit the barrel to fill the void, and use the aperture and foresight only.

Anyway, nice gun and thanks for sharing the photos with us fans this side of the pond

Regards, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Another option which I have seen, and looks better than the obvious empty dovetail on the barrel, is to make an insert piece that is dovetailed and rounded to suit the barrel to fill the void, and use the aperture and foresight only.
    Hear that Ed?

Thats the sound of machine tools being fired up

Brilliant many many thanks

Rich

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Hear that Ed?

That's the sound of machine tools being fired up

Brilliant many many thanks

Rich
    .......Like so many things in life, obvious and staring you in the face, and you wonder why the hell YOU yourself had not thought of it

I saw this first a few years ago on a Webley Mk 3 "supertarget" copy.......the owner had fitted a Parker hale FS22 and a made up Parker Hale rearsight ......at first glance you could hardly spot the rear sight insert, as the gun had been re-blued, and it was a nicely fitted part with just tiny lines all round on close inspection