Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: inherited vintage air rifles and spares help needed

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    As others have said - if you cannot be bothered to do all the extra work that goes with making the maximum return, then whoever does is entitled to a return for that work.
    All that said there are easier ways of splitting that difference - unfortunately it isn't possible on this forum.

cheers people for all your in put and all has been taken on board .

thanks to all.
    Last edited by bat7x64; 07-02-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    Quote Originally Posted by bat7x64 View Post
    hi all,

just by what you can see do you all really think that there is around the £2000 of spares because if there is and i am only thinking aloud now i will not be selling them to knibbs or chambers but maybe would like a group of collectors to get together and purchase the whole collection warts and all and help other collectors.

just a thought.

regards
    Just check Fleabay now at the present auctions for vintage BSA pieces/parts on various auctions, then see how many similar parts like vintage BSA rear sights you have in your hoard. I think you have a lot of work ahead sorting, cataloging, listing the parts properly, but if you take that time and then sell accordingly you are in for a very nice financial windfall . Some of those parts photographed are like the proverbial rocking horse poo. There will be a lot of people in our hobby very excited about your recently acquired TREASURE hoard . LUCKY BUGGER .
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    How about booking a few tables at the Sutton Coldfield collectors bash later in the year

Failing that, I would agree that fleabay would return the maximum returns

Cheers, John
    Now that is a bloody good idea John.
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
    Just check Fleabay now at the present auctions for vintage BSA pieces/parts on various auctions, then see how many similar parts like vintage BSA rear sights you have in your hoard.
    Exactly my point from eons ago

I look at fleabag almost daily and these types of early peep sites are going for 80 odd quid each and more!

Hence my original valuation (eons ago) of 2.5 - 3 Grand

Now if you say you have 52 boxes of stuff then who knows...

As many have rightly said and it's common sense - the more time YOU put in yourself to selling these appropriately, the greater YOUR financial reward will be...

Best of luck
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I agree with much that has been said so far, in that the top end prices quoted may only be realised over a period of time and would require a great deal of time and effort invested to properly illustrate each item prior to sale. A fair bit of all round knowledge would be required too. Then there is the danger of saturating the market. Some of the more desirable items are likely to see fierce competition between collectors but others may not attract any immediate interest at all. A collective of collectors (do you like that expression????) may work but could result in unwarranted conflict if one particularly desirable item is wanted by several people within.

If a quick disposal is wanted by the seller, then the trade is probably the way to go, rather than auctions with their inevitable delay and commission. There is one business I would recommend as a possible source and that is Protek Supplies of Bognor (they have a website). Easy to deal with and they do turnover lots of vintage items. Not saying they will definitely be interested or offer the highest price, as remember they are in business to make a profit and may end up sitting on the less desirable items for years but selling to Protek would at least keep the parts accessible to collectors if they are subsequently offered for resale. I would add that I have no business relationship with this company, just years of satisfactory transactions.

John
    I have dealt with Vic and Phil at Protek in the past and found them to be probably the fairest retailer within 50 miles of me, but from the photo's that I have seen, I would doubt that any RFD would part with £1K simply because 80-90% of the unlogged stock would just sit there for years

Out of interest, what have the trade offered ?

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    "insult" thats quite an emotive word and one i find disappointing knowing who you are directing it at and the fact it clearly does not take into account the long view required of the retail trader.a one of sale of cherry picked items will no doubt give on the face of it a nice return ,but
    this does by no account give the full storey of hours invested in sorting, listing and waiting for the right customer to walk through the door;looking
    at the substantial collection of items some very interesting some less so, i would think it would take around 2/3 years to sell the majority ;so take the best part of a grand out of your pocket now and hope that an equitable return can be made in a reasonable time [would you] .as for a group of collectors getting together to appropriate
    the collection "umm" the likelihood is that for the most part they will be focused on the same or similar pieces ,is this a surprise when you look at
    how an innova sight is achieving premium prices!. the long and short of this is simply this if you sell the most easily saleable items you will be left with a quantity of parts that will gather dust and little else.
    hi red bob i would really like to know how you know who this was pointed (insult) as i have seen 3 people this week ??

sorry i did not want to break rules
    Last edited by bat7x64; 06-02-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Hi Bat

As this was initially a valuation thread (at least I think it was!!), you would probably be best starting a new thread offering it all for sale (it's also forum rules )

Good luck with the sale, for what it's worth, I reckon it's worth a heap more than one and a half large

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

As Johnbaz said.. You need to start a new sales thread and as you have had valuations up to £3K, it might be wise to let those valuers know

Just check Fleabay now at the present auctions for vintage BSA pieces/parts on various auctions, then see how many similar parts like vintage BSA rear sights you have in your hoard. I think you have a lot of work ahead sorting, cataloging, listing the parts properly, but if you take that time and then sell accordingly you are in for a very nice financial windfall . Some of those parts photographed are like the proverbial rocking horse poo. There will be a lot of people in our hobby very excited about your recently acquired TREASURE hoard . LUCKY BUGGER .
    Recon this should come under ( treasure trove)and inland revenue reported a nice find, that collection must have been assembling while i was there 1953 john. ex xix
    snarepeg.

I just hope something can be sorted so everyone is happy, Bat gets the price he wants, which seems an excellent price IMHO and the amassed parts then get sold on to us at a decent mark up for the guy who has £1500 to spare. But there is a lot of work sorting that lot out for some one, so maybe a large mark up would be fair to the buyer. Problem is, most of us have Champagne taste, but only beer money to spend . A lot of the parts I saw on those photo's are highly desirable to a lot of guys on here and we haven't seen what stocks there are yet. But there's also bound to be a lot of those bits n pieces that are more or less worthless or next to worthless at least. I would still dearly like to see this ''Treasure hoard'' in its entirety even if none of it ends up in my grubby little hands .
    Last edited by Grayling; 06-02-2012 at 09:39 AM.

I just hope something can be sorted so everyone is happy, Bat gets the price he wants, which seems an excellent price IMHO and the ammassed parts then get sold on to us at a decent mark up for the guy who has £1500 to spare. But there is a lot of work sorting that lot out for some one, so maybe a large mark up would be fair to the buyer. Problem is, most of us have Champagne taste, but only beer money to spend . A lot of the parts I saw on those photo's are highly desireable to a lot of guys on here and we haven't seen what stocks there are yet. But theres also bound to be a lot of those bits n pieces that are more or less worthless or next to worthless at least. I would still dearly like to see this ''Treasure hoard'' in its entirety even if none of it ends up in my grubby little hands .
    ^^^ My thoughts put into words ^^^. You've had sound advice from the great, the good and the extremely knowledgeable. Everyone with an interest in this sort of thing ( not tucked up in a Trappist monastery anyway) must surely be aware of your hoard by now so I think you'll simply have to make your mind up. Toss a coin - and then see how you feel about the result. It works for me.

To sum up - maximum profit versus minimum effort , or a combination thereof , target contentment .

Good luck with that !
    ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Gary makes a good point Bat. If you've now decided to sell the parts as a single lot, you'll need to illustrate more clearly what is there. From what I've heard there's quite a lot more than appears in the pics on this thread and it would certainly help someone work out more closely what sort of margin they could make if they bought the lot.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before:
    Have you considered taking a load along to the sale event being organised in Sutton Coldfield on 1 July? Details are around on the forum. Although I guess this may mean a little legwork to set some prices .... But then some attendees may help you on the day as well.
    Cheers, Phil