Thread: 7.3 Heritage?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Agree

I agree with everything that Triumph says.
    In addition it helps to have the pistol as part of a collection. This needn't be a collection of pistols, for example you may have all the battle rifles used during the first World War by the major combatants. Now you would like to add the pistols to your collection. So Webleys (several marks are relevant), Luger, Mauser, Lebel, then Colt M1911, also S&W & Colt revolvers in .455 etc.
    Since this is a collection, in theory, the Police should grant multiple applications but some Police Services will not allow general listings (one .455 revolver) but insist on serial numbers before authorisation.
    I have been collecting since before the ban and can honestly say that I have learnt more from the (almost monthly) Heriage meetings than from all my study of books. There is a wealth of knowledge out there.
    However the NRA is doing its best to stamp out Heritage Pistols by increasing the costs for storage and range hire until they are beyond my ability to pay.

Hey majex maybe you should consider 1066 club, we expect to be up and running as a heritage site in a matter of weeks.

http://www.1066rifleandpistolclub.co.uk/
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Opening soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    Hey majex maybe you should consider 1066 club, we expect to be up and running as a heritage site in a matter of weeks.

http://www.1066rifleandpistolclub.co.uk/
    Now, why didn't I think of that?
    Shhhhhhh... they'll all want some.

I looked at the possibility of going down this route a while back, but decided that it was a whole lot cheaper to fly out to Oregon a couple of times a year to shoot my handguns than go through the pain you guys have to go through in order to shoot your own guns.

If one of you who is currently shooting your own handgun under the aegis of this form of license would be good enough to tell the rest of us the where and how of it, I'd be very grateful. All I get from the one guy I know who shoots 7.3 heritage is a load of patronising BS.

tac

Not really shooting

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    I looked at the possibility of going down this route a while back, but decided that it was a whole lot cheaper to fly out to Oregon a couple of times a year to shoot my handguns than go through the pain you guys have to go through in order to shoot your own guns.

If one of you who is currently shooting your own handgun under the aegis of this form of license would be good enough to tell the rest of us the where and how of it, I'd be very grateful. All I get from the one guy I know who shoots 7.3 heritage is a load of patronising BS.

tac
    I think you are laboring under a misapprehension about section 7, especially 7(3). This exemption applies to historic or important firearms that deserve to be preserved or collected. It is not a loophole so people can carry on shooting pistols just like before.
    The vast majority of the pistols held at Bisley (and probably elsewhere) are of .455 calibre and Webleys. There are also S&W, Colt, Luger, Mauser etc etc. There are a few more modern pistols but they have to have an outstanding characteristic that will exempt them from Section 5.
    There has been a lot of misinformation given out regarding the pistols in the collection and the NRA seem to be completely unaware that it happens at Bisley (except when it come to setting the fees - up 30% this year).

7.3 is all down to "good reason" and the most common is part of a collection.

There is a guy whos a Germans in ww2 fanatic, got the vehicles got the full authentic uniform and wanted the sidearm to add to his collection.

A collector of Enfields is applying to add some Webleys to his military rifle collection.

A film buff, wants to add to his collection of all the guns used in 007 films.

I have all the muzzle loaders used by US army pre and post civil war, my next to add is a S&W Scofield.

We have a collector of all the AMT products, most of his are currently abroad but he wants to bring them back over here. That a historical collection and on technical grounds.

We have another who collects historical target pistols.

Another has the collection of literature and a comprehensive knowledge and would like to add the actual firearm.

Nobody should suggest to a person what their collection should consist of its an individual thing and they would then have to satisfy their firearms department of their legitimacy.

Its not even about shooting them for many owners, they get them out, clean them and discuss them with other collectors then put them away again. Theres no competition other than comparison against others.
    Last edited by Smokeless Coal; 20-02-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    7.3 is all down to "good reason" and the most common is part of a collection.

There is a guy whos a Germans in ww2 fanatic, got the vehicles got the full authentic uniform and wanted the sidearm to add to his collection.

A collector of Enfields is applying to add some Webleys to his military rifle collection.

A film buff, wants to add to his collection of all the guns used in 007 films.

I have all the muzzle loaders used by US army pre and post civil war, my next to add is a S&W Scofield.

We have a collector of all the AMT products, most of his are currently abroad but he wants to bring them back over here. That a historical collection and on technical grounds.

We have another who collects historical target pistols.

Another has the collection of literature and a comprehensive knowledge and would like to add the actual firearm.

Nobody should suggest to a person what their collection should consist of its an individual thing and they would then have to satisfy their firearms department of their legitimacy.

Its not even about shooting them for many owners, they get them out, clean them and discuss them with other collectors then put them away again. Theres no competition other than comparison against others.
    Exactly so Smokeless Coal. That is precisely the answer.