Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7.3 Heritage?

It seems more like visiting an old relative serving a life-sentence with no parole.
    Yep thats about the size of it.

It need not be expensive though. If the site is close enough your joining can include your regular target shooting and range use with your section 1s, range fees you would pay wherever you shoot. The pistols dont have to be pristine perfect examples, you probably wouldnt want to shoot it if it were. The storage rental is the worst extra cost, the sites have an increased insurance and security outlay to recover.

The lock in is not a solo thing, heritage sessions tend to be maybe once a month so quite a few attend together for a chat and a shoot. You cant keep ammo for your 7.3 at home so theres a fair bit of reloading done on site. And a lot more chatting and discussion than a regular shooting session.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Thanks for that footnote to what was rapidly becoming a lesson in futility for me...

Now that you've clarified a few points I'm afraid that 'see but can't touch' and 'non-competetiveness' of the meet would have me howling to be let out from being 'locked in'.

Add to that your comment that it need not be expensive due to range fees and so on...hmmmmm. My present club does not charge any range fees at all unless you are a on-spec visitor [with an FAC, of course] who just has to zero his gun at a convenient range. I shoot on the inside ranges twice a week and outside also twice a week, being as I'm a retired old f&rt.

And I found Model 29 Swiss Luger, too - exactly what I wanted. Sadly, the gun-murderers had gotten to it before I expressed any interest, but I can tell you that at £3500 there wasn't a lot of interest around.

Thanks and 'bye.

tac

Closer than you'd think

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    I'd be looking at Swedish Nagant and Husqvarna and Swiss Ordnance and maybe a Model 29 - all of which are readily available to me in the USA. It is possible to personally import a S7(3). You only need a S5 dealer to take it from the port (or airport) to the Designated Site. I have done this twice, once from Spain and once from Belgium. You will also find that live firers are less money than deacts. However a Model 29 is going to be expensive wherever and whatever. The others will be much more modest.

It does, however, look to be exceedingly costly here, both as far as the actual firearms are concerned, and the travelling needed to go visit them, although Bedford is not too far from me. Herts & Essex are near Braintree and is a lively collector's club. Bisley is ferociously expensive. presumbly in a solitary, serious, non-competetive, historically considered and non-enthusing way, Not so, provided you enjoy the company of like minded collectors. There is no competition allowed and you may not handle anyone else's pistol but you can learn a whole lot from the other collectors. Unfortunately, you cannot try-before-you-buy. If you are interested in collecting, it will suit you, if you are only interested in shooting "as before" this is not possible. These are the limited means by which collectors were able to save some of the country's heritage, it is not a "loophole" through which everyone can ride. If it is not for you, so be it, I enjoy it but then I'm an inveterate collector.

tac
    See above

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

So. . . please explain this again. . .

. . . there's a Section 7.1, and a Section 7.3: and one of these categories allows you to keep an operable condition cartridge pistol at home, but you can't shoot it, or possess ammo that fits it.

And the other category allows you to shoot such a pistol, at certain approved ranges: but you have to store the pistol, and the ammo for it, at such a range.

And in either case, the pistol in question has to be historically significant, in some way, correct? How defined?

But isn't there some other category for operable conditions pistols chambered for obsolete calibers, that allows you to purchase same without a license?

And doesn't the latter include deactivated cartridge pistols, antique muzzleloading pistols (how defined?), and deactivated modern muzzleloading pistols?

Sorry for all the questions: but this is very confusing to me.

I think that I understand Sections 2, 1, and 5 OK.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

We have section 58 for obsolete caliber Jim. Our government (Home Office) publishes a list of obsolete calibers and guns on it.These are "off ticket".

section 7.1 covers collectables allowed at home these are held on a Firearms Certificate. As you say ammunition cannot be held for them but...... if you have a .38 revolver on 7.1 and perhaps an underlever rifle in .38 under section 1 you would have the ammo at home for the rifle (it would not of course be used in the revolver).

section 7.3 allows pistols to be held at Herritage sites but we have to assemble and store its ammo at the site.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Thank you, Smokeless!

Section 58. . . that's what I was thinking of. It's similar to our (US) law about antique cartridge guns: but I have to admit that it makes more sense. Our law exempts cartridge guns made before 1899: regardless of caliber. So you have some guns in perfectly shootable condition, chambered for ammo calibers available at your local sporting goods store, that are exempt from gun control laws.

That's provided it was made in 1898, or earlier. Another specimen, same make, model and caliber but made in 1899 or later, WOULD be subject to the gun control laws.

What's the cut-off year for a muzzleloader being regarded as off-ticket in the UK?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

thats 1939 Jim. But they must not be fired, to fire would require them to be put on FAC.

OK, 1939. . . probably a good cut-off year. Modern muzzleloader production didn't start in earnest till the 1950's - 60's.

Jim

An annoying thing is that the EU directive places all muzzle loaders into a no need for licence section. You would think all Europe would sing from the same song sheet, but no they leave it to each nation to decide which gun laws they want.

The EU directive is like US federal law: muzzleloaders, whether legitimate antiques, or newly manufactured replicas, are not regulated under federal law.

Each individual state has its own policy, of course.

Hi
    I am just in the process of filling in the forms for variation on my licence for section 7
    Last edited by ferrit; 28-08-2012 at 06:47 PM.

I guess the first question would be, why do want 2 x .455 Webley's on sec 7:1....or do you mean 1 x .38 and 1 x .455

Hi
    I was advised a .38 Webley would not be coverd under section 7.1
    Last edited by ferrit; 28-08-2012 at 06:48 PM.

I don't understand this, why would you apply for a 7(1) certificate for a .455 webley when that caliber is on the obsolete calivbers list?

Cancel that, I remember .455 was on the list but it's on the list as "Not being on the list".......
    Last edited by markH; 09-03-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post
    I don't understand this, why would you apply for a 7(1) certificate for a .455 webley when that caliber is on the obsolete calivbers list?

Cancel that, I remember .455 was on the list but it's on the list as "Not being on the list".......
    That makes just about as much sense as any of the rest of the application form.

tac