Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Renewal Imminent - Reccomend Me a BP Pistol (or 2)

.36 balls are .375 so .357 bullets would be too small and you should only use soft lead in a muzzle loader, ok if you have the mold and cast them in lead.

Logically you would think conicals having better contact with the rifling should be better, but personally I think the weight is too much for the charge. They tend to tumble and keyhole the target on light loads, and if you stoke it hotter they strip on the rifling because they are soft lead so again tumble.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

As above, tried the conical bullets in the Rugers and found them fiddly to load without being any more accurate. Seem to remember them shooting about 6" higher than ball with the same charge of powder. No doult accuracy could be good if you find a combination that works for your gun but they are still awkward buggers to load, i gave up and use only ball now.

.36 balls are .375 so .357 bullets would be too small and you should only use soft lead in a muzzle loader, ok if you have the mold and cast them in lead.
    what size ball are .44 ? mold size? an weight if pure lead used .

thanks
    ballkeeper

Once again thanks for the replies - steep learning curve on this one!

I've completed the paper work which will go in on Monday / Tuesday next week. Then it's just wait for the FEO to do his stuff. I asked for a .36 and .44 revolver, each with 2 spare cylinders, so I'll see what he says about that; hopefully a reasonable request.

I've You-Tubed 1858 Remingtons to death and can't wait to get one down the range! There are some very helpful and informative video's out there. It looks like that is what I will be chasing down after taking advice and cost considerations.

My initial plan is to go with lead ball, wonder wads (so no grease / lube?) and either pyrodex or 777 rather than BP - are there any flaws in this plan as a starter for 10?
    Buckle
    Proud member of The YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Z1 Owners Club GB Wanted: Nothing at present!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckle View Post

I've completed the paper work which will go in on Monday / Tuesday next week. Then it's just wait for the FEO to do his stuff. I asked for a .36 and .44 revolver, each with 2 spare cylinders, so I'll see what he says about that; hopefully a reasonable request.

I've You-Tubed 1858 Remingtons to death and can't wait to get one down the range! There are some very helpful and informative video's out there. It looks like that is what I will be chasing down after taking advice and cost considerations.

My initial plan is to go with lead ball, wonder wads (so no grease / lube?) and either pyrodex or 777 rather than BP - are there any flaws in this plan as a starter for 10?
    You WILL be asked WHY you need two cylinders - and the reality is - you don't !

If you shoot a standard BP precision comp - it's 13 shots loaded 5 + 5 +3 ..... so two cylinders are no help & a waste of your money .

Your plan for ball - wonderwads & substitute is fine - only flaw is wonder wads are 5.5p to 6.5p each depending on where you buy them

I punch dry wads & use a squirt of grease from a small syringe on only two cylinders to keep the fouling soft

Happy to give any advice you need about kit/loads/accessories etc - I shot a Pietta Remington for years & then traded up to a Ruger OA - so have experience of both.
    my email is on my contact page http://www.airgunbbs.com/sendmessage...member&u=97501 as my PM box is invariably full !

Cheers

Roy

I've shot the .44 conical bullets backwards if that makes sense. Loaded and rammed point down into the chamber. Thinking behind this was that most of the weight would be forwards so maybe they would act like a shuttle cock in flight.
    Certainly made loading easier.
    Worked pretty well although powder was dropped to 15 grains from 20 when using ball, they flew straight grouped well and cut a surgical hole in the paper, but were on a par with ball overall so gave that up.

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    You WILL be asked WHY you need two cylinders - and the reality is - you don't !

If you shoot a standard BP precision comp - it's 13 shots loaded 5 + 5 +3 ..... so two cylinders are no help & a waste of your money .

Thanks for the reply - I don't understand this bit though. If it's 13 shots loaded surely that's exactly why you do need 2 extra cylinders (3 in total)? I must have got the wrong end of this bit???

I don't see that holding extra cylinders is any different to me holding extra mags for my Ruger 10/22 - at least that's analogy I'm planning on using with the FEO. I could still muddle my way through and shoot the competitions with one mag, but it makes them impractical. I appreciate the cylinder is a pressure bearing component and all that, but just like a magazine it's pretty useless without the rest of the gun to go with it. I'll keep you all up to speed on the renewal.

I understand about the cost of the wads etc. but to get me started I think it's the way to go. Once I have the pistol and am a bit more experienced with it I would like to start exploring casting my balls, making wads etc. - it's a whole new world to explore! The plus side for me being it's a bit cheaper to get started than re-loading metallic cased ammunition, although I have a .357 Winchester that needs feeding too.......
    Buckle

Thanks for the reply - I don't understand this bit though. If it's 13 shots loaded surely that's exactly why you do need 2 extra cylinders (3 in total)? I must have got the wrong end of this bit???
    Sorry - should have added ... Its a 30 minute time limit - you load within the time limit - comp here http://www.britishpistolclub.org/MLC.HTM

Its about THE commonest BP pistol comp shot ....

I don't see that holding extra cylinders is any different to me holding extra mags for my Ruger 10/22 - at least that's analogy I'm planning on using with the FEO. I could still muddle my way through and shoot the competitions with one mag, but it makes them impractical. I appreciate the cylinder is a pressure bearing component and all that, but just like a magazine it's pretty useless without the rest of the gun to go with it. I'll keep you all up to speed on the renewal.
    The original reason for NOT allowing them I understand - was to stop (a deranged ??) shooter - holding off the Police etc with multiple preloaded cylinders (as if you would choose a BP pistol for this purpose ????)

.... and which comps is it you are going to "muddle" through with one cylinder ?????

I understand about the cost of the wads etc. but to get me started I think it's the way to go. Once I have the pistol and am a bit more experienced with it I would like to start exploring casting my balls, making wads etc. - it's a whole new world to explore! The plus side for me being it's a bit cheaper to get started than re-loading metallic cased ammunition, although I have a .357 Winchester that needs feeding too.......
    Beware - casting becomes a hobby in it's own right - you have been warned !!!!

EDIT : and Reloading becomes a hobby too !!!

Cheers

Roy
    Last edited by harricook; 03-02-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Roy - thanks for the reply explaining the time limit; I'm showing my ignorance there. I'm on a steep learning curve with this.

On the premiss that if you don't ask you don't get, I'm still going to request the extra cylinders. We'll see if the state paranoia clause gets invoked!

A couple of the guys at the club have warned me about the addictiveness of reloading - I feel I'm at the top of a very long and slippery slope! It all started off with a lever action Marlin 39, and has spiralled out of control from there........
    Buckle

By all means ask for the spare cylinders, we have plenty people in our club who have them. I suppose it's just another post-code lottery. good luck.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

could the reason/need for extra cyclinders is to stop the fouling gummed barrel ...how many shots can you get before the gun needs cleaning
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by tdmrider View Post
    could the reason/need for extra cyclinders is to stop the fouling gummed barrel ...how many shots can you get before the gun needs cleaning
    You could have a dozen cylinders - makes no difference - you only have one barrel ?? [confused ??]

I generally shoot a couple of cylinders & then push a nylon brush down mine once or twice - theres no leading & minimal fouling

I use black powder + dry wads and a squirt of BP lube on two cylinders

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by tdmrider View Post
    what size ball are .44 ? mold size? an weight if pure lead used .

thanks
    For most guns the .44 ball is .454, the Ruger OA uses .457
    .454 ball in lead weighs approx 140grn .454 conical weighs approx 200grn
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

For most guns the .44 ball is .454, the Ruger OA uses .457
    .454 ball in lead weighs approx 140grn .454 conical weighs approx 200grn
    cheers guys
    can see me needing a few molds then
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 04-02-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    ballkeeper

Question calibre question

I had a slot for a .44 BP pistol, came across a ROA but it was .45, so had to have my slot altered to .45 cal seems they wont give duel calibres as in 44/45, you must state what calibre you require, you will enjoy BP shooting, cheers Tezz