Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hawke Varmint SF 2.5-10 x 44 Scope

My feed back!

I have been using a 4x16-44 SF Varmint... I have had no issues with the eye relief, but I do know that the SF is not spot on... Our club range is 25 yards .. but the SF has to be set at about 30 yards to get a clear target... Hawke have confirmed that the side wheel can be adjusted to sort out the alignment by loosening the three small allen keys... but care not to remove the cap should be taken .. if you do the gas purge will be lost... So maybe not a total confidence booster in my mind.

Other than that its been a good scope, but the when the SF is set to 25 yards and then compaired to my Nikko, it is way more blured at 8 yards and 40/45 yards! BUt I am not sure if that a good or bad thing in HFT

Not tried a MTC but like the look and optics I have seen on fellow guys rifles..

Atb Rob
    "qui audet adipiscitur!"

Quote Originally Posted by reddenning View Post
    There should be no parallax error on an image focusing scope that's one of the main reasons for having the ability to focus the objective. Parallax occurs when the graticule and the target image are not coincident. The eyepiece (ocular) focuses on the graticule and the (side focus or objective focus) focal length is adjusted so it is in focus viewed with the ocular. When this is done the target image and the graticule are then in the same plane.

Parallax can be observed by holding a finger on the left and right hand aligned at differing distances from your eye, by moving your eye to the right or left the fingers become unaligned. Moving the head to the right will make the finger furthest from your eye appear to move to the left and vice versa. If the fingers were exactly coincident this effect would not occur.

On a fixed focus scope there is generally some parallax error except in the case where the target is at the exact distance where its image is exactly focused in the same plane as the graticule. Here it would be an advantage to ensure you are exactly on the optical axis.

Terry
    i shoot hft so dont adjust my parallax. it's set at 25yards. i know you shouldnt get it if you adjust it, but i dont. i should have explained myself a bit better.

thats why i find it an advantage to have the need to get my head inh the right position to see properly. as i said, it help to reduce parallax error

Hmm, just purchased one of these from Uttings, which arrived in some serious packaging (there was no way it was going to get broken in transit)!

Like a few others I was looking for a cheapish scope to add to my collection. but didn't want to go down the road of crappy coke bottle bottom optics.

I already have a varmint 2 with front AO. The optics aren't bad, but there are a few aberrations, noticeable mostly in bright light. Anyway I was pleasantly surprised to find the mk2 SF actually appears to have better optics, in fact I would go as far as saying they are better than my MTC Viper 4-16*50. Only downside is the reticle, a tad too crowded with those blobby half mil dots, although it is perfectly useable. Came with two flip up covers, making it excellent value for money.

I will be hanging onto this!

UPDATE - May 2013

After nearly 18 months of daily use (Professional Pest Control) the side focus developed a minor and irritating fault in that sometimes it would jam and / or not focus.

I contacted Deben directly (as my local RFD has gone out of business - now a PoundStretcher supermarket !) and their service department was very quick to respond.

I sent the old scope to them, and got a message to say that it was going to be replaced under warranty.

Two days later and I have a brand new scope.

Well done Deben on some excellent Customer Service. You wouldn't have got that buying some cheap tat on Fleebay !

Regards

JonP
    Last edited by JonP; 29-05-2013 at 06:24 PM.

I'm so glad the OP took the time to write this review I have this scope mounted on my tx200 and I have noticed that you need to be bang on with your eye alignment etc . I was considering getting an eye piece or changing scopes , possibly for an airmax which I have already .
    After speaking to a guy at the club and reading this review I persevered with the varmint and took into account a few of the things said with this post , I can now do inch groupings at 30 yds with jsb exacts which I don't think is too bad at all for a springer thanks guys
    Which rifle next ?

Quote Originally Posted by gasman1 View Post
    i shoot hft so dont adjust my parallax. it's set at 25yards. i know you shouldnt get it if you adjust it, but i dont. i should have explained myself a bit better.

thats why i find it an advantage to have the need to get my head inh the right position to see properly. as i said, it help to reduce parallax error
    whs^^. thats what makes a good hft scope ,critical eye alignment.
    RHINO GUIDED WALTHER LG400
    BASC HFT TEAM ENGLAND 2016 HAS BEEN
    www.tuggstatts.co.uk