Thread: Rabbit weather

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rabbit weather

I have just gained my first permission and am eager to try it out. It's a golf course which effectively means night hunting only, as golfers like to squeeze every last minute of daylight for their passion.
    I have DSA NV which is supported by N1000 laser IR and it's excellent for my HW100KS capabilities.
    Now where are the bunnies?
    Weather at present is heavy snow so don't expect any self respecting rabbit to be out in this but do other weather situations keep Mr R at home?
    Rain/cold/fog etc, are any of these likely to be a waste of time looking for him?
    The permission isn't showing much evidence of life at present and little if any droppings or runs are visible.
    I'll keep positive and my fingers crossed to see what happens over the next few months but any advice will be appreciated.
    Cheers in advance.
    Huw

rabbits

The rabbits will still be about, have a wander around tomorrow without your gun to recce the golf course you'll be able to see from he tracks where the most activity is.
    Air Arms s410 .177
    Daystate mk3 .177
    HW45 .177

Of course! (Pun intended)
    What an excellent idea, no golfers either, I guess.
    Many thanks.

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    If you have a decent layer of snow at the moment it really is the ideal time to see if you have a decent Rabbit population at present and just where any runs or hidden warrens are, Rabbits really stand out against a snowy background, but remember you do to, unless fully wintered cammed, got to admit to never doing well in snowy conditions. I find this more a time to see whats about footprint wise. The only weather I really dislike for night hunting with NV or Lamp are cold frosty/snowy moonlit nights. Its surprising how far away Rabbits can see and recognise human silouettes plus its very hard to walk on frozen grass silently, more like impossible. But get out there ASAP in the daylight while the snow is still there for a recce. If you do have Rabbits the snow will leave you in no doubt where they are or roughly how many inhabit the area.
    Last edited by Grayling; 05-02-2012 at 09:06 AM.
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

Good luck with your new shoot. From experience rain is a no go for nv, one drop of rain on the laser lens or scope objective and you can't see jack. From experience I would be looking to step up to fac air as golf courses are open and a lot of shots can run out at 50yds across a green.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.