Thread: Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5x10-50 (Philipines-manufactured).

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks guys - very reassuring.
    It's only a bloody pellet gun for Gods sake!
    BASC member

i loved mine when i had them think i had 2 or 3 of them My current bushnells are a pretty big upgrade though
    The best things come to those who wait !

Update now I've had the chance to mess around withe the scope a bit.

Had this scope for a few days now, and I can report back on how it operates in the field.

I'm delighted with the responses to this thread so far (thanks guys) because they suggest that it is unlikely that the Simmons WTC range will be damaged when you buy.

The first thing to get used to is the lack of mildots. In use this is not as much of a problem as it first appeared once I'd worked out aim points for five, ten, forty and fifty yards (scope is zeroed at thirty yards).

Rangefinding.
    The truplex reticle is uncluttered, with one set of fine crosshairs in the middle which become thicker as they move outwards.
    This uncluttered reticle makes for easy rudimentary rangefinding.
    At fifty yards on 6x the fine crosshairs measure approx ten inches - a little bigger than a feeding rabbit.
    At thirty yards on 6x the fine crosshairs measure approx five inches. A rabbit head fits neatly into one half of the horizontal fine crosshair.
    Not as accurate as a purpose-built rangefinder, but handy to have on your rifle nevertheless.

This biggest problem I had with this scope was getting the focus sharp when there was hardly any light. This could be something (let's be honest, IS something) to do with age, but at a tad over sixty I find my eyesight is not great just before darkness hits. So I'd adjusted, as I thought, the eye relief to suit me, had the reticle nice and sharp, and the scope was pin-sharp during daylight.

In use though, the scope was a bit blurry as it got darker - not good, in fact about the same as my old Hawke. Eventually I twigged and spent some time getting the eye relief objective adjustment just right. I was out last night until it was too dark to see properly.
    The scope was sharp and clear all the way through. And I got a bunny.

It's a great scope. Highly recommended, and because they haven't held their prices a real bargain when you find one.
    Last edited by Ravman; 14-03-2012 at 09:13 AM.
    It's only a bloody pellet gun for Gods sake!
    BASC member

simmons scope wtc

used one of these on my 22 hornet for years payed 25 quid for it it was a 3.5x10x40 really good at low light put my mates hawk to shame at low light .

Simmons used to make really fantastic scopes. The Aetec and WTC ranges are unbelievably good value at present provided only that you don't need mildot or other more elaborate reticles. I use Aetec on all my rimfire rifles and am delighted with them.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Iv'e got 2 Aetecs, one on my Rimfire the other on my Rapid. I cant fault them.
    I think Simmons are very good scopes.
    Just been gifted an almost mint WTC 3.5-12 x 50. Another keeper.
    Last edited by samboy; 18-03-2014 at 02:46 PM.

I bought one of the WTC 3-9x50 scopes to live on a customised '80 I bought back in 2004. Its still there and gives a good quality image. You will find however that if you adjust the magnification it might alter the impact point when in the field. I just leave mine on 9 now my eyes have gone and the scope still performs well despite the battering its had over the years.Good quality scope.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !