Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5x10-50 (Philipines-manufactured).

Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5x10-50 (Philipines-manufactured).

I bought this scope from another BBS member for not a great lot of cash.

It's to replace the Deben-Hawke Pro-Stalk 3x9-50 which was on my TX when I bought it 2nd-hand five years ago or so. Nothing much wrong with the Hawke, but it's a big lump of a thing, the optics aren't that great and the eye relief is not variable - in other words you have to be in exactly the right position to see the reticle clearly. Too near and you can see way too much scope innards. Too far away and your field of view is drastically curtailed.

Simmons WTC were all the rage a few years ago, despite their being a budget (top-end budget) scope. The Philipines-made ones are more highly regarded than the later Chinese ones due to their supposed superior build quality, but I've never tried a Chinese WTC so can't comment. The older ones have been around a while now, so logically while they may not be perfect cosmetically the glass, design and general build should still stand scrutiny.

The scope.
    This is a WTC WA (stands for wide angle), as opposed to a WA AO (adjustable objective). This means that the scope has a wide angle of view, and will be in focus from about 17 yards out to infinity, which is actually the case. It is out of focus at shorter distances, but in fact the rifle can be aimed as low as 7 yards with this scope without any trouble. I guess the scope is shorter and lighter because it does not have the extra components to allow it to focus, and I think this is a fair trade-off. It sits well on the TX, and looks the part. It's certaily smaller and lighter than the Hawke.
    The eye-relief adjustment is nicely machined, smooth, and quality.

In use.
    The scope has the Simmons Truplex reticle. Like a Duplex reticle it's crosshairs with thicker crosshairs, no mil-dots, ladders or illumination.
    It comes up to the eye easily, and if you are a bit out (too near/too far away) that makes very little difference.
    The resulting picture is bright, the reticle stands out well, and the focus is sharp from around 17 yards out.

All in, a nice scope. Streets ahead of the Hawke Pro-Stalk in terms of use, performance and build quality.
    Clearer and sharper than the 3.5x9-50 Richter scope on the S200.
    Not far off my binos (Leica 8x40) for crispness.

Simmons made a big thing of the light gathering qualities of the WTCs when they first came out. I don't find it any better than the Hawke in that respect, but perhaps its a shade better than the Richter? They were probably better than some of the similar-priced scopes of the time.

Worth buying?
    Yes without hesitation if it was to be mounted on a PCP. I like the scope very much, but I don't know what the TX recoil will do to it - this very much depends on previous scope use/abuse, which I don't know about.

However, I think if you want a good scope for not much money it's worth taking a punt on one of these.

I'll report back when I've used the rifle/WTC combo more.
    Last edited by Ravman; 01-03-2012 at 06:58 AM.
    It's only a bloody pellet gun for Gods sake!
    BASC member

good review im thinking of getting one of these for my hw80k

Hi Ravman

Ive had a few over the years and nice scopes, i bought mine new about 10 years ago and it cost me £220 IIRC , but can now be picked up for about £60-70 , a lot of scope for peanuts really.

As to wether it would be any good on a TX, mine was on a Theoben Eliminator for the very reason that they are very durable and can withstand a fair bit of punishment, and it never really lost its zero

cheers
    craig

These scopes are Centrefire rated so should easily take the recoil off Spring Air-rifles.
    Lovely scopes in my opinion.
    I've got 2 Simmons WTC's,both Phillipines models and I'm keeping hold of them both!
    Daystate Renegade .177,Daystate Forester LE .22,Daystate Huntsman Classic .177,Daystate Huntsman Regal .177,Daystate Bullpup 2000 .177,Weihrauch HW45 Custom .22,Weihrauch Silverstar .22,Weihrauch HW77K SE .22,Weihrauch HW35E .22.

Thanks guys - very reassuring.
    BASC member

i loved mine when i had them think i had 2 or 3 of them My current bushnells are a pretty big upgrade though
    The best things come to those who wait !

Update now I've had the chance to mess around withe the scope a bit.

Had this scope for a few days now, and I can report back on how it operates in the field.

I'm delighted with the responses to this thread so far (thanks guys) because they suggest that it is unlikely that the Simmons WTC range will be damaged when you buy.

The first thing to get used to is the lack of mildots. In use this is not as much of a problem as it first appeared once I'd worked out aim points for five, ten, forty and fifty yards (scope is zeroed at thirty yards).

Rangefinding.
    The truplex reticle is uncluttered, with one set of fine crosshairs in the middle which become thicker as they move outwards.
    This uncluttered reticle makes for easy rudimentary rangefinding.
    At fifty yards on 6x the fine crosshairs measure approx ten inches - a little bigger than a feeding rabbit.
    At thirty yards on 6x the fine crosshairs measure approx five inches. A rabbit head fits neatly into one half of the horizontal fine crosshair.
    Not as accurate as a purpose-built rangefinder, but handy to have on your rifle nevertheless.

This biggest problem I had with this scope was getting the focus sharp when there was hardly any light. This could be something (let's be honest, IS something) to do with age, but at a tad over sixty I find my eyesight is not great just before darkness hits. So I'd adjusted, as I thought, the eye relief to suit me, had the reticle nice and sharp, and the scope was pin-sharp during daylight.

In use though, the scope was a bit blurry as it got darker - not good, in fact about the same as my old Hawke. Eventually I twigged and spent some time getting the eye relief objective adjustment just right. I was out last night until it was too dark to see properly.
    The scope was sharp and clear all the way through. And I got a bunny.

It's a great scope. Highly recommended, and because they haven't held their prices a real bargain when you find one.
    Last edited by Ravman; 14-03-2012 at 09:13 AM.
    BASC member

simmons scope wtc

used one of these on my 22 hornet for years payed 25 quid for it it was a 3.5x10x40 really good at low light put my mates hawk to shame at low light .

Simmons used to make really fantastic scopes. The Aetec and WTC ranges are unbelievably good value at present provided only that you don't need mildot or other more elaborate reticles. I use Aetec on all my rimfire rifles and am delighted with them.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Iv'e got 2 Aetecs, one on my Rimfire the other on my Rapid. I cant fault them.
    I think Simmons are very good scopes.
    Just been gifted an almost mint WTC 3.5-12 x 50. Another keeper.
    Last edited by samboy; 18-03-2014 at 02:46 PM.

I bought one of the WTC 3-9x50 scopes to live on a customised '80 I bought back in 2004. Its still there and gives a good quality image. You will find however that if you adjust the magnification it might alter the impact point when in the field. I just leave mine on 9 now my eyes have gone and the scope still performs well despite the battering its had over the years.Good quality scope.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Ravman View Post
    I bought this scope from another BBS member for not a great lot of cash.

It's to replace the Deben-Hawke Pro-Stalk 3x9-50 which was on my TX when I bought it 2nd-hand five years ago or so. Nothing much wrong with the Hawke, but it's a big lump of a thing, the optics aren't that great and the eye relief is not variable - in other words you have to be in exactly the right position to see the reticle clearly. Too near and you can see way too much scope innards. Too far away and your field of view is drastically curtailed.

Simmons WTC were all the rage a few years ago, despite their being a budget (top-end budget) scope. The Philipines-made ones are more highly regarded than the later Chinese ones due to their supposed superior build quality, but I've never tried a Chinese WTC so can't comment. The older ones have been around a while now, so logically while they may not be perfect cosmetically the glass, design and general build should still stand scrutiny.

The scope.
    This is a WTC WA (stands for wide angle), as opposed to a WA AO (adjustable objective). This means that the scope has a wide angle of view, and will be in focus from about 17 yards out to infinity, which is actually the case. It is out of focus at shorter distances, but in fact the rifle can be aimed as low as 7 yards with this scope without any trouble. I guess the scope is shorter and lighter because it does not have the extra components to allow it to focus, and I think this is a fair trade-off. It sits well on the TX, and looks the part. It's certaily smaller and lighter than the Hawke.
    The eye-relief adjustment is nicely machined, smooth, and quality.

In use.
    The scope has the Simmons Truplex reticle. Like a Duplex reticle it's crosshairs with thicker crosshairs, no mil-dots, ladders or illumination.
    It comes up to the eye easily, and if you are a bit out (too near/too far away) that makes very little difference.
    The resulting picture is bright, the reticle stands out well, and the focus is sharp from around 17 yards out.

All in, a nice scope. Streets ahead of the Hawke Pro-Stalk in terms of use, performance and build quality.
    Clearer and sharper than the 3.5x9-50 Richter scope on the S200.
    Not far off my binos (Leica 8x40) for crispness.

Simmons made a big thing of the light gathering qualities of the WTCs when they first came out. I don't find it any better than the Hawke in that respect, but perhaps its a shade better than the Richter? They were probably better than some of the similar-priced scopes of the time.

Worth buying?
    Yes without hesitation if it was to be mounted on a PCP. I like the scope very much, but I don't know what the TX recoil will do to it - this very much depends on previous scope use/abuse, which I don't know about.

However, I think if you want a good scope for not much money it's worth taking a punt on one of these.

I'll report back when I've used the rifle/WTC combo more.
    you can buy a simmons aetec for similar money..even better optically than the W.T.C.and no..P.O.I..shift at least not on mine

had a wtc 3.5x10x50 when i first started shooting, i thought i needed more mag so swapped it for a higher mag ,i have tired loads of different scopes ie fixed mag ( which was very clear but just to heavy ) , side focus ,front obj, i always wished that i never got ride of it , when i look back i shot more stuff with the wtc than all the other scopes put together , so now i have one on my 223 and 17MACH2 love them more or less just point and fire
    CZ452 STYLE 22RF SAK MODERATOR CZ452 17MACH2 THIRD EYE MODERATOR TIKKA T3 S/S T8 MODERATOR SBS 410, FRANCHI 620VS SEMI AUTO 20 BORE TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST BECAUSE ONE DAY IT WILL BE

Quote Originally Posted by WINK View Post
    you can buy a simmons aetec for similar money..even better optically than the W.T.C.and no..P.O.I..shift at least not on mine
    I agree with this. The Aetec range is superb and just fantastic value for money these days. The 3.8-12x44 cost £380 when new compared with the 3.5-10x50 WTC which cost £210. Now a mint Aetec costs about £120. The reason: the market's obsession with mildot and other rangefinding/compensating aids. The optics are excellent and the WTC range are only slightly less good in the optics department. However they are smaller and slightly cheaper. Also don't forget the dinky little 1.5-5x20 WTC which is STILL to many shooters the best ratting scope on the market and the one against which all newcomers will be judged.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    I agree with this. The Aetec range is superb and just fantastic value for money these days. The 3.8-12x44 cost £380 when new compared with the 3.5-10x50 WTC which cost £210. Now a mint Aetec costs about £120. The reason: the market's obsession with mildot and other rangefinding/compensating aids. The optics are excellent and the WTC range are only slightly less good in the optics department. However they are smaller and slightly cheaper. Also don't forget the dinky little 1.5-5x20 WTC which is STILL to many shooters the best ratting scope on the market and the one against which all newcomers will be judged.
    i cant remember the aetec at £380..remember them at £220..compared them both in low light aetec miles better much bigger eyebell and aspherical lenses...mine cost me £80 off the bay