Thread: Making your own wads

Making your own wads

Hi, I'm new to BP pistol shooting so I've been browsing the net for help and info.
    I found some very helpful people at http://www.hardy-hanson.co.uk/felt_strips.htm for a supply of a large variety of felt suitable for wad making, ask kindly and they will send you some samples. It's worth a look if you don't already know of this place.

interesting but would it work out cheaper as they are no prices on view

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    interesting but would it work out cheaper as they are no prices on view
    Hi

I dealt with Hardy Hanson a few years back (maybe 4 ??) when I was experimenting with wad thickness & felt density witrh a view to setting up commercially.
    At that time, yes as the OP says they were extremly helpful - but it was cheaper to get my sheet felt from the US

Don't know how or if prices have changed

Cheers

Roy

Hardy Hanson's prices

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Hi

I dealt with Hardy Hanson a few years back (maybe 4 ??) when I was experimenting with wad thickness & felt density witrh a view to setting up commercially.
    At that time, yes as the OP says they were extremly helpful - but it was cheaper to get my sheet felt from the US

Don't know how or if prices have changed

Cheers

Roy

I don't know of the cost involved in getting the felt from the States but Hanson's have a minimum order price of £10.00 plus 'about' £2.00 for p&p and that will cover for three or four strips 15cm x 100cm of what ever density or thickness you require. They also told me that they could punch out the wads, obviously at a cost.
    I don't know whether this is a deal or not.

Regards,

Alan.

think 100 wads for a martini are about £4 posted

In the early 80's when I shot BP I punched my own wads from an old felt hat. The punch I think was from an x-acto craft knife set, the hats were jumble sale and the lube was tallow from my fathers plumbing tools.
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

Quote Originally Posted by airgunshooter View Post
    I don't know of the cost involved in getting the felt from the States but Hanson's have a minimum order price of £10.00 plus 'about' £2.00 for p&p and that will cover for three or four strips 15cm x 100cm of what ever density or thickness you require. They also told me that they could punch out the wads, obviously at a cost.
    I don't know whether this is a deal or not.

Regards,

Alan.
    Hi Alan

Yes that was about right - but that meant commercially there was no point in persuing it with HH as it would be cheaper to buy them already done

I am now shipping 54" x 36" sheets of Grade F1 Hard from the US (and Chennai India) & punching wads

Cheers

Roy

Wads

Hi

Worth a look at;

http://www.wadsincorporated.com/

Just bought some pre-lubed wads for my ROA. Good quality but postage. A little steep.

Wildy