Thread: Leupold VX3 6.5-20X50 Long range

Leupold VX3 6.5-20X50 Long range

After much consideration I've settled for this scope, I wanted a scope that gave good all round performance for hunting and occasional longer range vermin work both in daylight and under lamp light. This scope I would say was a jack of all trades but its better than that if that makes sense. It will do all that I require of it but to a high standard as opposed to a similar scope that will only function in a given capacity.

Boring bit, scope was delivered well packed in a Leupold box with hologramed stickers and the usual documentation. Also a discount voucher for the NRA (the real American one that politicians fear) and an invite to join to North American hunting club (I may take them up on that if I ever emigrate)
    A 2 1/4" sunshade is provided which I didn't know about and made me glad I didn't buy one separately, usual allen keys for turrets etc. Instruction manual was a generic version ( a bit like a car manual) where every model is covered and you just read the bits relevant of your model, Personally I would have preferred a model specific manual but its clear and concise and serves its purpose.

Build quality is very good with the zoom ring firm but smooth, covered target turrets give positive returnable clicks and 15MOA elevation. The turrets are very well marked. I think a fast focus eye bell would be useful but the screw style one adjusted easily and is locked firmly in place. Side focus parallax was again firm and smooth and really snaps the image into focus

I had hesitated in getting a Leupold because of the image quality, I compared my Meopta with a friends VXL and found the Leupold lacking. HOWEVER that is not the case with this model the image is as sharp as a box of scalpels and it is from edge to edge, quite a few people complain that the eye relief is a problem and sight picture can be awkward, personally I see this a a plus point as it promotes correct head placement which aids accuracy through consistancy.

The fun part, mounted it on my Tikka M595 .22-250 with opti-locks and it required 2MOA windage and is spot on at 100 yards,turrets are easily reset to zero with the supplied allen key, the rifle currently has a synthetic stock with Karsten cheek piece and will give cloverleaf groups at 100 yards using A-max 52g handloads running at 3750fps. I produced a drop chart courtesy of Big Game info and filled some water balloons at my back stop. The balloons were no larger than 5" diameter to imitate a chest shot on a fox. I have found this type of target very good for lone shooting as it gives instant results of a hit or miss (plus it looks good)

300 yards 12x mag dialed in the corrections with a side wind at half value and aimed dead center, I chose the fine duplex instead of the varmint hunter reticule due to internet research which informed me I'd be lucky if the aiming points would correlate with my bullet drop, the image is in the second focal plane so will remain the same size regardless of magnification, to me the cross hair is the perfect thickness and did not cover the target in any way and was always visible.
    Three shots three exploded balloons

400 yards 20x mag, image quality still fantastic and reticule still allowing me to see everything without disappearing ,misread the wind here and over corrected, second shot did the business

2230 hrs, looked through the scope at a fence post on 12x at a range of 80 yards and was still able to see the grain, I would have no hesitation in taking a shot at live quarry at this time with this scope.

Under lamplight everything is just as clear as in daylight, I always take my shots with white light using a scope mounted Lightforce 170 and use a separate 170 with amber filter to search (the benefits of lamping from a quad).

In summary, I'm very happy with this scope and would happily but another if I could get it past the wife, as I've mentioned above its like an exceptional jack of all trades, I have owned Swarovski and Sightron, I currently have Meoptas which may be better than the Leupold in certain respects but none of those scopes could do all that I expect of this one model.

Hope you find this of use, regards Pete
    Last edited by pbranthwaite; 21-06-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Nice review, sounds a useful piece of kit - can we ask how much and where from please?

any chance of some pics as i have the same one but 40mm obj on a t3 with optilocks, so would like to see your set up if thats ok, on the one i have i dont have target turrets though

tony
    anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new.

Having slated Leupolds for the past 12 years or so, I recently purchased a MK4 8.5-25 x 50 and I have to say I am as happy with it as with my big Zeiss and Swarovski. I love the reliability, functionality is a small and lightweight package. The optics are very good indeed. I have used it at 1000 yards and long range varminting too. I rate them highly.

Quote Originally Posted by tony h View Post
    any chance of some pics as i have the same one but 40mm obj on a t3 with optilocks, so would like to see your set up if thats ok, on the one i have i dont have target turrets though

tony
    2012-06-14 20.05.36.jpg2012-06-14 20.05.52.jpg2012-06-14 20.06.14.jpg

There you go
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

thanks......
    anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new.

I have been using the very same scope on top of my 22-250 AI for the past 5 years its excellent, i previously had the varmint reticle and hated it so got rid and bought a fine duplex like you.

TB.