Thread: New member, need some advice!

Cool New member, need some advice!

Hi all

just joined AirgunBBS (was recommended to join as a knowledgeable and helpful site)

need your advice as need a new rifle but which one should i go for .177 or .22!

i have descided on getting Daystate Airwolf but which calibre!

got a bit of land, mainly going to do target shooting,but do have a few rabbits and rats to get rid off !

also has anyone got a daystate they are selling!

cheers for any advice

grant007

Hello mate .

And welcome to the forum .

All the best .

Andy .
    " Never mistake kindness for weakness "

Confidence is important

Hi

Either calibre will do the jobs you mention, although most people would say .22 for hunting. However, there are people who say .177 is more accurate and so has a place in hunting. Confidence in your rifle is vital, so listen to others views then make a decision and practice on targets until you have nailed it.

jimcorbett

hi and welcome

just a quick search on the .177 v .22 debate, it's big

if you're on about doing target shooting as well as hunting, a 177 would probably be the better choice.

when i first started shooting i bought a hw100 in 22. i was mainly ratting and later rabbiting. after a while i took an interest in hft. i did use the 22 for a while, but soon realised i was at a disadvanage to 177 users because of the more loopy trajectory of the 22.

i swapped my 22 for a 177 action and my scores started to improve straight away. also when i took the 177 hunting for rabbits and what not and it killed them just as well as the 22 did. at the end of the day its about putting the pellet in the right place. both are just as accurate as each other, but its easier to do that with the flatter flying 177 pellet than it is with the 22.

i wouldn't go back to 177 and was lucky that someone was willing to swap actions with me.

Quote Originally Posted by grant007 View Post
    ... mainly going to do target shooting...
    .177 then.

Once you've made 4 posts you will gain access to the sales section. AirWolfs come up for sale fairly regularly, so keep an eye out.

It is also worth joining the Daystate Owners Club (DOC), again AirWolfs are sold fairly frequently.

Welcome to the bbs.

A very warm welcome to this fine forum it’s good to have you join us ………………….…

Welcome Grant007 ... and yes, if you want to include target shooting - especially if you might join a club and enter comps - .177 is the best calibre because of its flatter trajectory. I have no expereince of hunting but know that whilst .22 is often seen as the hunter's choice, some prefer .177 for hunting anyway.

ATB

Jon