Thread: Model engineering

Model engineering

Just spent a great day out at the Model Engineering show at Harrogate.
    No real connection to airguns but lots of lovely materials and machinery for making those hard to find parts that collectors always need.
    Some of the models on show are nothing short of magnificent, I was particularly attracted to some, circa third, scale motorcycle engines including a HRD (Vincent) Vee twin, built from scratch. Many of these guys are pure perfectionists with endless patience.
    I bought a couple of bits and pieces for my milling machine, they may get used sometime, they fall into the 'must have' category and will join the rest of the bits in the cupboard, till I find a new project.
    It still has the rest of the weekend to run, well worth a look.
    Mel

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Mel, second this...when I lived near London the Alley Pally venue for this was always a must. I started working in 1982 at a place where one of the mechanics was an ex RAF fitter who was Merlin and Centaurus trained, and later worked at Aston Martin engine building. He was a loco fan and some of his took 18 years to build and he told me about the model engineering show.

I did a few welding jobs for him on various projects, and his work was breath taking, he would work from blueprints he tracked down of obscure engines and do the lot himself, even making special machines where needed for jobs like machining the wheels...which he made the casting patterns for himself obviously!

He saw a BSA standard of mine I took into work, and was impressed by it's quality, and mused about making a 1/3rd scale working replica when he had time...Unfortunately he never will as he is still beavering away at making probably his last project, due to his age now

The work ethos and perfectionism of some of the old boys I was lucky enough to work with in years past was inspiring to me, many are long gone with a wealth of skills and information, most were apprenticed to some of the great defunct engineering or aircraft firms, so I despair a bit at how useless many people I meet are at even basic DIY or practical stuff these days, as it seems no-one wants to get their hands dirty any more.

At least I have the memories of some great times and stories.

To give an idea of the huge range of stuff at these shows;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mo...=1540&bih=1052

http://www.modelengineershow.co.uk/

http://members.upc.nl/i.cerjak/Vixen_V8.htm

ATB, Ed

Hi Ed, taking on board what you say, the first thing that I noticed was that the general age of the visitors was late middle aged, to retired, that may change over the weekend as the working age population turns up.
    I've made lots of stuff over the years (nothing outstanding) and still have a steam engine, started as an aprentice, still unfinished, residing in a box in my old shed. I'm past retirment age now, maybe I'll dig it out and do a bit more.
    Mel.

Surrounded/drowning in that level of performance from my 30's to retirement.
    Truly awesome and most of them still producing, not in the way you mean, any visit for a cuppa/chat starts in the workshop to view the latest
    advances.
    As a make do and mend guy I usually stand gazing with mouth open.
    Thanks for the links.