Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: webley vulcan valuation

webley vulcan valuation

hi all
    whats your thoughts on a webley vulcan?
    i was talking to a mate about buying a old springer and he said he knew a mate who had a webley stuck in his garage he said he would ask him about it .
    any way yesterday he brought it me round to have a look it came in two bin liners so removed these and it was a vulcan .22 in very good condition for its age in fact it looked like it had hardly be use.
    a couple of knocks on the stock which probably have been done while stored as its not been in a slip but the metal work is perfect looks brand new has the open sights on and some original webley 4x15 scopes made in japan.
    all the screw heads on the stock are unmared looks like they have never been touched.
    there are a couple of bad bits the satey catch is broken or missing and one of the thumb adjusters on the rear sight is broken.
    what would be a rough value for the gun.
    also could anybody put a date on it serial no. 028413
    also what model it is.

cheers mark

here's some pics sorry about quality

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/DSC00683.jpg
    http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/DSC00685.jpg
    http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/DSC00686.jpg
    http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/DSC00690.jpg
    http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/DSC00692.jpg
    http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/DSC00693.jpg
    http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/DSC00695.jpg
    http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/DSC00696.jpg
    Theoben Rapid mk2 .20
    BSA Spitfire hf .25 - Benjamin 347
    HW80 .22

Vulcan

Hello, its a Vulcan MkII from around 1980, its worth around £80 to £120, should be more in my opinion but thats what they seem to go for private.

Its a MKII, which were a improved gun over the MKI. A lot more made and fairly common in this condition. Thousands in much less nice condition though. Think the MKII came out in 1983?? (someone put me right), and ran for a good few years (anyone know when they stopped?). I believe you can still get a marginally better trigger sear for it at a cost. This is a nice one and £120 is about right though not more; even a mint in box is only worth £170 as a lot were made. For farmyard ranges then they are a good gun, just not in the HW77 league. A 4x40 scope would be an improvement as cheap 2x20's are not much better than the open sights and some would argue worse.

thanks for the replys so far
    got a bit of a bargain then i only paid £40
    Theoben Rapid mk2 .20
    HW80 .22

Hi Mate

With the faults as you said i would put £120,so you had a good deal well done

With respect to the comment on HW77s,the Vulcan was a underated, very well made light usable cheap rifle.that was full power.
    But not trendy
    As the two, i`ll take the Vulcan,(cheaper lighter,same power and British and humble)
    Last edited by hookerball; 05-05-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Very nice, a much underated gun , enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Its a MKII, which were a improved gun over the MKI. A lot more made and fairly common in this condition. Thousands in much less nice condition though. Think the MKII came out in 1983?? (someone put me right), and ran for a good few years (anyone know when they stopped?). I believe you can still get a marginally better trigger sear for it at a cost. This is a nice one and £120 is about right though not more; even a mint in box is only worth £170 as a lot were made. For farmyard ranges then they are a good gun, just not in the HW77 league. A 4x40 scope would be an improvement as cheap 2x20's are not much better than the open sights and some would argue worse.
    Hi there,a mk2 vulcan was my very first rifle and i think it was 1981 but could be a year or so out.My mate had a mk1 which we both agreed was the better of the 2,very good rifles and like has been pointed out underated.I had a very very tidy vulcan ks that i sold on here for £80 a few years back,good value at that sort of money but not worth much more in my opinion...

That Vulcan I'm pretty sure ended up in a good home, got a trigger upgrade, a full v maching, a slimtech silencer, and still gets used regularly.
    It did have a wobbly barrel lock up bar that needed re setting, but once that was done, was a good 'un

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    The Webley & Scott Vulcan was a 'land-mark' British air rifle, as WAS THE FIRST British air rifle which straight from the box could be expected to achieve anything like the max sub F.A.C. 12ft.lb power level.

Here is a bit of info on the Vulcan models for you. Many minor mechanical differences separate the various Vulcan variants, but these were basically variations on the same theme. The more noticeable cosmetic differences however are as follows, inc. info on the Xocet and Stingray (Brum built ones that is), which were basically continuations on the Vulcan theme ...

Vulcan MkI: thinner barrel and slimmer stock than later models.

Vulcan MkII: fatter lacquered stock with pistol grip cup with white spacer, and a white butt pad spacer, too. The MkII also had/has a thicker 16mm barrel, and different front sights.

Vulcan MkIII: early MkIIIs sported same style stocks as described for the MkII, but later ones had plain pistol grip ends and no white spacers. These had the same style sights and barrel as the MkII, although later carbine K versions had threaded muzzle-breaks fitted which incorporated the front sight.

Xocet: a no thrills variant of the Vulcan (no safety and very plain stocks) with re-jigged breech so no gap apparent from above when rear sight removed.

Stingray: mechanically the same as the Vulcan but with finger grip flutes running length of stock, re-jigged breech so no gap apparent from above when rear sight removed, and a threaded muzzle break as standard incorporating front sight.

The first Vulcans hit the market in 1979. All Vulcans were available in .177 and in .22. With the exception of the Xocet, all of the above have also been available as Walnut Deluxe Specials, and all except the MkI have been available as carbines. At one stage I had eight examples of Vulcan in my collection, but now I only have one.

Webley & Scott air rifles using the model names of Xocet and Stingray were also made and marketed after the original British Brum based manufacturing company of Webley & Scott closed in 2006. They were sold by the outfit that bought the Webley and Scott name. These later examples were made in Turkey and/or Eastern Europe, and imo leave a lot to be desired . Hope this helps: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

If you pick up a Vulcan and are about to buy a silencer, be a bit careful with the '16mm' barrel size, as Webley tended to size in imperial rather than metric, just a tip - The Pro Systems usually line up OK, if you want something quieter, be a bit careful with sizing -

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

[I]Vulcan MkI: thinner barrel and slimmer stock than later models.

Vulcan MkII: fatter lacquered stock with pistol grip cup with white spacer, and a white butt pad spacer, too. The MkII also had/has a thicker 16mm barrel, and different front sights.
    Hmm. I would say this was the other way around. The Mk 1 had a very thick pistol grip, which could be rightly described as 'fat' while the Mk 2 had a much nicer slim pistol grip. The Mk 2 stock was larger but slimmer and much nicer to handle.

The Webley Vulgar had a great powerplant but the breech pin made for poor lock-up after a bit of use and the trigger was a nasty thin blade. As a response to the HW35, Anschutz 335 and Feinwerkbau Sport it was half-assed and it took them several model increments to fix it. By then it was too late. Good example of a British compromise lacking in conviction and courage. Good gun with a bit of work though, and the Beeman C1 carbine derivative with its straight hand stock is a cracking little gun.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

Vulcan MkI: thinner barrel and slimmer stock than later models.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

Hmm. I would say this was the other way around. The Mk 1 had a very thick pistol grip, which could be rightly described as 'fat' while the Mk 2 had a much nicer slim pistol grip. The Mk 2 stock was larger but slimmer and much nicer to handle.
    Helloooo Alistair. Pistol-grip wise, possibly (will just about give you that although we are only talking millimetres of circumference difference, here), but when considering said stocks over all (from the butt through to fore-end), having owned more than my fair share of each over the years, I beg to differ, Sir, as comparing the two stock styles, as stated, over all, is a little like comparing Twiggy (as was) with Jo Brand (as is) !!!

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

thanks for the great info lads
    does any one have any spares knocking about for the vulcan i need a safty catch and the windage thumb screw part of the rear sight.
    cheers mark
    Theoben Rapid mk2 .20
    HW80 .22

Quote Originally Posted by azz22 View Post
    thanks for the great info lads
    does any one have any spares knocking about for the vulcan i need a safty catch and the windage thumb screw part of the rear sight.
    cheers mark

www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk

I have a soft spot for the MKI because of its innovation and that small people could shoot it. Wow it was powerful from such a small package. Some of us could hardly lift a HW35E or Webley MKIII in those days Shocking agricultural trigger though; as bad as BSA's lesser models. It was the price that was fantastic, half that of a HW or FWB. For farmyard ranges it was the biz with all that power

The MKII was a much nicer stocked and barreled affair and an improvement but it just seemed bigger. Same trigger, well no better. The delux vertions were lovely but just didn't shoot accurately enough to get out of the farmyard. Just like BSA's, Airsporter or Mercury S's, they couldn't do 35 plus meters accuracy to hit a pigeon's head. A HW77 if you could lift one can to 45m

That was the rub of it, accuracy in hunting with optics has gone beyond the farmyard range of 25m. At 25m you can use open sights in .22 calibre and hit most vermin which is what air guns were used for until Airgun World and Jap optics showed us the way 1979 was the relaunch of air rifles and gave us the industry of today. The Vulcan was a trail blazer of its day, if you couldn't afford or lift a HW35E I got my first Sport so