Thread: Whats max load in a .45

Whats max load in a .45

Hello I have a Ruger old Army, I use 20 grain Triple F from Hodgdon, works fine, yet listening to other there seems little consistency in what is used. There is plenty of space in the chamber, and I know no air gap should be left.

Any help guys

From trial and error to see whats shoots well I found 18 gr (by volume) of H777 and 24 gr (by volume) of Sainsburys Semolina shoots well.

If I increase the power charge then I also decrease the filler, so I've always got 42gr of content behind the ball.

Off a rest this can shoot 1 inch at 25 meters for me.

Throw in some treso nipples and Remington number 10 caps and then you have a gun that never gets cap jams, and always goes bang consistently.

The max load for a Ruger Old Army with 777 from the Hodgdon website is 35gr with wonder wad. I've shot that and its a big stonking bang but not very accurate, so only useful for the entertainment value.
    Last edited by Rollo; 09-05-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Semolina?

Thanks for this very usfull, Yes I think 35 grain would give a big bang and Grin. The 1" group at 25 yards was impressive, is that with ball or minie bullets? I have been shooting at 15 yards and with a bench rest best has been 2.5", but then I am still learning with the gun. Plus I did not get the semolina thing, can you explain?

I had a lot of problems when Ifirst got it with getting right caps and wads. In the end I bought new nipples (smaller hole to chamber) my own wads 3/16 think from carpet felt and Remmington no11 caps. Now no more ignition problems, bang every time

The semolina is an inert filler to guarantee theres no air gap behind the ball when your using a modest powder charge. It also means you don't have to seat the balls really deep in the cylinder - closer to the top is meant to be more accurate.

Semolina seems to work well - right sort of consistency, doesn't cause extra fouling and no mess on an outdoor range.

I only shoot balls out of mine which I cast from the Lee molds - last shop price I saw for balls was upto £19/100 which is taking the mickey for £2 of lead.

not too much !

I've been shooting 22grn in my .44 and have watched bits coming loose am now down to 12grn and it shoots well stays together and is accurate at 15 to 20 yrds, pistols arn't long range weapons so don't need that much charge, experiment a bit yourself, by the way I use triple 7, pre oiled wads, and no inert fillers just ram ball all the way down.