Thread: Newbie with AA S510 SL Hunter Carbine & ancient HW77K

Newbie with AA S510 SL Hunter Carbine & ancient HW77K

Hi all,
    Just wanted to introduce myself to this great and well respected forum
    Getting back into airguns, especially for bunny bashing after not really using them since I was a teenager.
    Just got a s/h AA S510 Carbine Superlight Hunter to replace my old and tatty HW77K.
    Got a bipod and sling but still using old Nikko Gold Crown WA 3-9x40 so looking for a scope next.
    Thinking ideally an MTC Viper Connect with SCB but not yet been able to find anyone with one on a S510 - so a bit worried I'll need high mounts to clear the mag (not ideal as the ambi-stock has quite a low comb)...
    Other options I'm considering are a Leapers Compact 3-12x44 or the more conventional Harwke Panorama EV 4-12x40.
    Watch this space...

Hello mate & welcome!!

I have an s510 at the moment and I really like it!! I have an ags on it at the minute on medium mounts the clearance is not a problem at all!!!

All u haveto do is try the mounts and see which ones feel the best when your head is rested on the stock!!!

What tube scope have you got at the minute? I'll have a look see if I have some spare mounts

Adam
    I wanna be the airgunbbs Model

Thanks for the very kind offer Adam!
    My Nikko is a 1" tube on Sportsmatch medium mounts, the objective is a good 8-9mm clear of barrel but there's only about 4-5mm clearance between tube (specifically the protuding bit underneath the turrets) and the mag.
    It's really my new scope (whatever that will be that I'm concerned about)! The MTC Connect, as it's very short eye relief seems to end up with the objective (albeit only 32mm) above the mag on many guns (not certain but I suspect S510 also) so need mounts to clear this on mag. Been trying to find a pic or someone with this gun/scope combo but no joy yet.
    If I find a gunshop near me with the scope I'll do as you suggest and take my gun there and try all the mounts.
    Thanks buddy!
    Toby

Quote Originally Posted by woodmister View Post
    Hello mate & welcome!!

I have an s510 at the moment and I really like it!! I have an ags on it at the minute on medium mounts the clearance is not a problem at all!!!

All u haveto do is try the mounts and see which ones feel the best when your head is rested on the stock!!!

What tube scope have you got at the minute? I'll have a look see if I have some spare mounts

Adam

Hello mate .

And welcome to the forum .

All the best .

Andy .
    " Never mistake kindness for weakness "

Hi Toby,

I have an S 510 with a connect scope on it, as far as I remember I have it fitted with sports match medium mounts and there are no clearance issues, in fact loosing a couple of mm from the mounts would be even better.

I believe that sports match where due some time ago to release a specific one piece mount for these scopes, but I don't know if they ever did, I think they where working with MTC developing them and there where some prototypes made and tested by one of the mags!

The best thing to do would be to contact garyc on this forum, he "is" MTC and from my experience very helpful.

My experience of the scope so far is very positive, I like the fact that it touches your face "connects" as it makes mounting the gun and attaining a clear picture instant and the field of view is extraordinary, making target acquisition much easier than with a traditional scope.

Having given my setup to others to try seems to get mixed opinion though, I can understand how touching the scope feels unnatural, as it was for me initially too, a traditional scope now feels awkward. The other thing most people struggle with is getting a clear picture and a comfortable position, this I am 100% convinced is due to the fact the scope is positioned (fore/aft) for me and my facial structure relative to the cheek piece.

All this said I have a fault with mine, and as far as I know it is the only one sold that has had this problem and the customer service from MTC is exemplary.

If you need me to measure the mounts, give me a shout.

Hope this helps Luke

Thumbs up

Hi Luke,
    That's incredibly useful - thanks very much mate!
    Do you hae any pics you could post up or email to me please of 510 with connect on it? I'd love to see how it looks!

Hi Toby,

I'll see what I can do!

Have you searched the forum yet, there's lots of info in here some where if I remember correctly.

I think you could get this thread moved to a different section and it would get more attention.

Cheers Luke