Thread: Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24

Renegade Master is offline They mostly come at night, mostly

Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24

Just a quick "first impressions" of my new scope and mount.

I was looking for a 1-4/4.5 scope for my CSR rifle. As I will be shooting in Service Optic class, the magnification is restricted to 4.5x max. Although I could have gone for a bigger scope and just not turned it up past 4.5, it made sense to me to have a lower mag scope and save weight.

A lot of guys who shoot CSR are using S&B and Nightforce scopes, but to be honest those are well out of my price range so I started looking around at mid range scopes. There are a few offerings that were in my budget, such as the Leatherwood Hi-lux CMR, Nikon M223, Konus M30, Weaver Grand Slam & Bushnell 3200. Then I started hearing a lot of good thing about the Viper. After a bit of research, reading reviews and getting a chance to have a hands on look at one, I decided it was the scope for me.

Fast forward a few months, and after being buggered around by the UK importer (Newpro) I placed an order with eurooptics.com While I was at it I also ordered the ADR/Vortex cantilever mount. Total cost (inc shipping, customs and Parcelfarce charges) was £610.00, which was actually quite a saving on the Newpro price.

Last weekend I got my first chance to properly put it through it's paces at 100 yards. First impressions were very good. It was a dry but overcast day, yet the optics were clear and bright. The reticle was very sharp. The illumination could have been brighter, but TBH I will probably never use it anyway so not a major problem for me. The finger turrets adjusted with nice positive clicks with no play. The mag ring turns smoothly. The zero stop feature is basic, but works well. Overall the scope feels well built and solid, without being heavy. It's also quite compact, being only 9.7" long.

The mount was rock solid, and a couple of nice feature of this is that it is adjustable width ways across the rail (for some reason my .223 upper rail is a few 1000th narrower than my .22 upper rail) and has a safety catch design to stop the levers unlocking if snagged. Eye relief was perfect for me shooting NTCH.

Overall I am more than happy with the scope & mount. One of my shooting buddies (who shoots with a S&B Short Dot) had a look through and was impressed at the clarity compared to his (far more expensive) scope. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this setup to anyone.

Quick picture for those who haven't seen one (this was taken mounted on my .22)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23746341/Pi...0rifle%203.jpg
    Last edited by Renegade Master; 11-04-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: change picture link

Update

I've now had a chance to put this scope through it's paces during 2 days shooting in the Civilian Service Rifle competitions at the Imperial. I am now positive that I made the right choice.

I have used it from 25 yards out to 600 yards in everything from cloudy/light rain conditions right though to strong sunlight, and it has performed faultlessly throughout. I found the glass bright, and the reticle clear and sharp in all conditions and at all ranges. The turret adjustments were precise, as was return to zero.

All in all I am very pleased and won't hesitate to buy the Vortex brand again.

Glad to see another one has seen the light. The upper end Vortex scopes are seriously under-rated here in the UK. Still, it keeps the price down for those in the know, for the moment.

Another Update (8 months on).

I continue to be impressed with this little scope. I have been shooting with it every month since September in the CSR league. Being a winter league I have naturally been out in all weathers, and the scope hasn't missed a beat. The mount is also holding up incredibly well, I haven't touched it since I fitted it last year and there has been absolutely no movement or changes in POI.

Several shooters on the CSR circuit are now using this scope, and since the UK importer has changed recently, hopefully they should be more readily available in the future.

Thumbs up Vortex...

Great review RM

Another vortex convert here! I've got a diamondback and well impressed with it...better that WTCs and other more pricey scopes in its class!

ATB
    Jon
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'