Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MTCs, Hawkes, Nikons etc: Some Opinions

Nothing wrong with my Hawke nite eye at all. Works great out to 50yds and I find the Springer it's on works great with it.

Just bought another Hawke scope off the back of my first one impressing me.

You must be unlucky.

I bought a 3-9X 50 Panorama AO IR Map6a Ret, And have the issues mentioned in the OP. Slightest movement and i lose the picture, black edges , Distortion the works !! I also have a Bushnell Legend which i have no issues with and is nice and clear.

Have tried a few things to work out the Hawke but nothing seems to change it which is a shame because it is clear when i finally get my head set right !! and the Map6 ret i really like.

Have tried the Hawke on my S200 & the Superten but still get the blurry image / Black edges . Time to sell it i think and try a MTC methinks !!
    AA S200 .22 , 10 Shot Conversion Nikko Sterling 3-12x50
    FX Cyclone BTAS Reg .22 Leapers Swat Scope
    Daystate Huntsman Classic .177 Mamba Lite 3-12 x 40

Of the scopes I have, by far the best is a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 conquest. Next is the Nikon M223 (monarch essentially), then the Nikkon Pro-Staff, then MTC, then Hawke Sport HD.

The Zeiss is miles in the lead in every way to be honest, but so it should be.

The more I use the MTC the more I like it for value for money, but in low light it does struggle compared to the Zeiss and Nikons. The Pro Staff is on my .22 HW100K which I use for shooting around farmyards (so generally close in) and it is a beauty. You dont need a ladder ret for this sort of stuff (30-35 absolute max) and the optics and build are definitely one up on the MTC.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Of the scopes I have, by far the best is a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 conquest. Next is the Nikon M223 (monarch essentially), then the Nikkon Pro-Staff, then MTC, then Hawke Sport HD.

The more I use the MTC the more I like it for value for money, but in low light it does struggle compared to the Zeiss and Nikons. The Pro Staff is on my .22 HW100K which I use for shooting around farmyards (so generally close in) and it is a beauty. You dont need a ladder ret for this sort of stuff (30-35 absolute max) and the optics and build are definitely one up on the MTC.

Hi,
    out of curiosity what is the pro staff px'd at? I do fancy trying one of these for hunting or HFT with the BDC.

Thanks,

Dean
    BASC

I have a feeling they do two very similar scopes. Mine is the 3-9x40 AO, so adjustable parallax. Goes down to about 10 yards if I recall, without running to gun safe! At 3x and min parallax I was able to see well enough to shoot two ferals at about 3-4 yards a couple of says ago.

The only oddity is that the turrets adjust to 1/4" at 50 yds, rather than 100. The scope was designed for .22 Rimfire and airguns, but IMO it is just great for .22 at 12fpe for 'farmyard stuff.' I don;t think they are easy to get in the UK tho, but if you have trouble, PM me and I will dig out the details of where I mail ordered mine from in the UK.

Everything about it is nicely made. The parallax adjusts smoothly with just the right weight. The turret caps come on and off sweetly with no threading issues. The click stops are snappy and clean. Optically it is a fair bit better than the MTC Mamba Lite so that does help when knocking ferals out of barns in low light. The fine reticles with the little dot in the middle is very precise. Perfect for bopping a barely visible birds head poking up above a rafter and precise placement.

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    Hi,
    out of curiosity what is the pro staff px'd at? I do fancy trying one of these for hunting or HFT with the BDC.

Thanks,

Dean

Brilliant OP explanation thanks, absolutely agree with your honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post

Totally agree, I have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 which only cost £500 from the USA at the time - Having acquired an MTC since for £200+ I was dissapointed to find it was like looking through a (full) milk bottle at high magnification in bright sunlight. Unfortunately this (budget priced!) Zeiss is now £800+

The Zeiss has a Parallax of 30 yards to infinity. How does that effect targets under 30 yards?

best,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    The Nikons are superb scopes. Fantastic optics and solid build quality
    I have owned Leups, MTC, Redfield, Nikko Stirlings etc.

I have three rifles, two of them have Nikons on them, and if I could get the right spec for the third, I would have a Nikon on that aswell

Tony

Scopes

Well very surprised at your findings with Hawke scopes , personally I have Hawke eclipse's on my air and CF rifles and they perform faultlessly ......as has every Hawke scope I have ever owned .....even my shooting partner who uses a S&B was very impressed by the quality of the Hawke Eclipse ......but everyone has their opinions I guess.
    Enjoy yourself........it's later than you think !!!