Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Gamo Centre and Target Pistol

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Nice job Steve.

I have been thinking (not always a good thing) about making an anatomical grip for my Centre as I just can't hold it as well as I would like with the standard plastic grip - so you are ahead of me and I need to get on with it!

Did you over-cover the original grips, or have you keft them safe and started with a fresh wooden base?

I think I will make a wooden base to fit the pistol frame, but then build it up as you have done but with Milliput until I get the shape right.

If I get brave later I may also go looking for a spare walnut - but that would be a lot of work for a non-woodworker such as myself!
    I know where there is a spare walnut

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    I know where there is a spare walnut
    Get the nutcrackers out!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Get the nutcrackers out!
    suite

Cheap MPL Pistol

I have a really nice GAMO Falcon for sale if anyone would like it for £55.

This is a very good condition pistol that looks like it has not had much use from new and would be ideal as an inexpensive start to the MPL series, and easy to sell-on again at a similar price.

The pistol is lighter in weight than the GAMO Centre, but shares the same mechanics and so is capable of the same performance making it an ideal first MPL pistol for anyone on a tight budget or just wanting to dip their toes in the water before commiting to anything more expensive.

The pistol has been serviced and lubed and shows little sign of any wear anywhere.

Sent u a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat stig View Post
    Sent u a pm.
    The Falcon is on hold for Fat Stig .

Knock knock !!!!!

Looking forward to joining the gamo gang on tue, hope I can improve on my hw45 scores

Gamo Center

Interesting findings for the Gamo Center which does not suprise me. I used one heavily during the early 80s and found it very accurate.
    There was some argument back then that rear moving pistons for Webley pistols were a better idea but time has proven this to be in error.
    While it appears to make sense to have a rear moving piston striking into the hand, they forgot about the 2 way recoil effect, where the secondary recoil moving forward (in the case of the Webley design) is more difficult to control than the secondary recoil of forward moving pistons. You will find that the Original 5, Gamo Center etc are more accurate than the Webley, HW45 designs offhand therefore.
    Lightly sprung at approx 3ftlbs the Gamo didnt suffer from much in the way of recoil/vibration niether.

Gamo Competitor

Interestingly my efforts to match the Gamo Center were realised with an LP53 I loaned at my club last night.
    It really demands repeatable holding and general good technique but matched the Center when using RWS10 last night. Fabulous trigger control, difficult recoil but mastered it after around 100 shots. 53 is running on a nicely run in leather washer at 405fps high.
    Did not find the HW70 so clever in my hands. Convinced I would but trigger control trickier. Cannot decide if its down to grip and balance (effecting trigger control) or trigger per say here.
    In final conclusion I think its a combination of grip type (53 and Centre being similar) affording good trigger control on decent triggers. Sight pictures comparable. Velocity comparable.
    Miserable effort with a Turkish Tempest (as control)

Sounds like we should give the LP53 a serious try then

Lp53

Sounds like we should give the LP53 a serious try then
    I have not participated in any of the shoots on here but we hold similar shoots at my club....with similar results.
    Nobody can shoot the rear moving piston stuff (Tempests, 45 and an ABAS) well which surprised us but it became apparent that the supposed advantage of rear moving recoil brings with it unforeseen secondary recoil.
    The 53 does buck upward (proven because the rear sight leaf is known to spring up out of its ball seating on rare occasion) but it does seem to be just one directional. The rest is probably down to fine trigger control once one has become accustomed to it. My assessment of the once forgotten Center, is it has a combination of useful plus points coming together without anyone really noticing. Namely, decent trigger, long site base typical to a fully fledged competition pistol, low mainspring power moving forward and great balance. Grip is semi target too.
    Ultimately both trounced by a SSP from a quality shooter but that's the thing. An average shooter will not get anymore out of the SSP/sledge without good technique. All these guns being as potentially as accurate as each other on the basis of consistent velocity terms. Its how we corrupt them with our handling.
    Last edited by clarky; 08-08-2013 at 07:44 PM.

I have found much the same with my pistols over the years.

The Centre and the LP53 are the most repeatably accurate guns I have ever owned, single handed.

My Webleys have much bigger groups and my old HW45 (now deceased!) was better than the Webs but not as good as the Gamo.

So for me it's the LP53 first, then Gamo as backup.

Love to try a spring Feinwerkbau or an Original someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyctophiliac View Post
    I have found much the same with my pistols over the years.

The Centre and the LP53 are the most repeatably accurate guns I have ever owned, single handed.

My Webleys have much bigger groups and my old HW45 (now deceased!) was better than the Webs but not as good as the Gamo.

So for me it's the LP53 first, then Gamo as backup.

Love to try a spring Feinwerkbau or an Original someday.
    There really is a considerable leap from the springers to the guns you mention but only in so much of the ease of use and more forgiving nature....not potentials. We found virtually no difference in consistency of velocity between pretty much all the guns mentioned here, indeed we actually realised our Turkish Tempest as being the best in this regard with barely a 5fps extreme spread across 5 shots. The potential is there but only one club member can tame it to within half the group size of the Gamo. I was hopeless with the gun but the guy has owned all the Webley variants since the 70s to be fair.