Thread: Webley Mk II Service lubrication/disassembly

Webley Mk II Service lubrication/disassembly

Gentlemen good afternoon,

I am about to aquire a Webley Mk II Service Air Rifle. Please could anybody give me advice regarding stripping it and any hints on where precisely to apply lubricant and what to use ?

I have been advised by the nice man at John Knibbs to apply Moly on the trailing edge of the piston and the rings, also the trigger sear and main spring. I certainly have no reason to doubt him. He also advised that a heavy oil should be coated on the cylinder. If anybody could be so kind as to add any tips on the stripping of the actual gun or can advise on how much oil to use all information would be great fully received.

This is my first air gun strip, although I have stripped a few firearms. I have dowels, punches, small wood hammer and the correct size turnscrews. I have searched the net and whilst I can find info on stripping the Webley Senior Pistol (I also have one of those to strip!) I can find nothing on the Mk II Service.

Forgot to add, I have purchased new mainspring, breech seal and phosphor bronze piston seal.

Regards Craig.
    Last edited by roughshooter29; 25-08-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Craig there's some good basic information on lubrication <HERE>, although of course the stuff about leather piston washers is not relevant to the Mk2 Service. Lubricate sparingly. In my experience, fitting a new phosphor bronze piston ring meant power was disappointing until eventually it bedded in, but that could just be the particular rifle I was refurbing, not a generalised problem.

Edit: further research turned up this pic, posted by Raygun, who is active these days on the Airgun Forum.

Also, a very informative post by Troubledshooter tells us that Phil Bulmer did a stripdown of the Webley Service Mk2 in the December 2005 issue of Airgun World.
    Last edited by Garvin; 25-08-2012 at 11:17 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks alot Garvin,

Troubledshooter has indeed sent me the article and armed with it (no pun intended lol) I can now stripp, clean, and lubricate.

My only concern is that I might get addicted to this vintage airgun business.

Regards Craig.