Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help for a wet behind the ears newbie - and blank loads

Help for a wet behind the ears newbie - and blank loads

Hi there

I have just acquired my FAC and have lots of newbie queries!

I am looking for a fairly inexpensive percussion pistol, ideally more of a pocket size as my holsters were made for trinity peacemakers. I wondered if anyone has any recommendation? I was thinking about a second hand uberti.

Also how easy is it to find accoutrements, as most gun dealers in Gloucestershire have no idea what I am talking about!

Finally I need some advice as I would like to make blanks, capable of bursting a balloon, but as quiet as possible (no projectiles allowed!). Any help would be most appreciated, as up until now I've been used cartridge revolvers!

I wonder,,,,,what club are you with?
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

I'm being assisted by a pistol club, but my sport is tentpegging so we use pistols on horseback to shoot a balloon in mid air whilst jumping.

This is why I am interested in quiet rounds!
    Last edited by pegger; 05-08-2012 at 03:37 PM.

once seen a bloke whom loaded his own for shows ,forward venting pistol but restricted tube ,half blanked at base and another welded in halfway up barrel to look down barrel you could not see daylight ,,he used millet (bird seed) in wax i think although it was fac and had condition on his cert he used it in wild west shows ,,dont know if your local plod will be happy for using a true fac for this type of usage
    Tempest .22, BSA Lightning(delux) .22 ,HW 80 K .22 Sako finn fire .22rf, Browning Buckmark 22rf , BSA 22 Hornet centre fire ,Winchester s/a mod 1400 12 bore, Winchester select light 12 bore J Manton hammer side bee side 12 bore and a 410 hushpower, BASC MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    ,,dont know if your local plod will be happy for using a true fac for this type of usage
    Hi there - the police specifically issued my FAC for these competitions.

yep but to be using a true revolver ,as i said the lad whom i saw his weapon was a peacemaker which forward vented but no true bore it would only vent flash and the small seed husks ,so made for the job
    Tempest .22, BSA Lightning(delux) .22 ,HW 80 K .22 Sako finn fire .22rf, Browning Buckmark 22rf , BSA 22 Hornet centre fire ,Winchester s/a mod 1400 12 bore, Winchester select light 12 bore J Manton hammer side bee side 12 bore and a 410 hushpower, BASC MEMBER

I have partially blocked forward venting revolvers already, but a 9mm short round needs to be around 20cm from the balloon to burst it

I swapped to .38 long rounds, which have a longer range, but are very loud and has already put one of my horses off jumps with balloons

Hence why I have gone FAC route, to use a cap and ball pistol with a clear barrel in the hope that I can achieve effective balloon range, without it being too loud for the horses.

Hope that makes sense

How far away are the balloons?
    And I think you wont ever get a "quiet" load!
    Tony

Ah well distance depends on high how your horse is, how high they jump the fence and how far you are willing to lean out!

The ideal shot is behind the horse, so the blast is behind them.

What I am after is someone who knows their powders and can advise on the quietest ( possibly the worst?) - otherwise going to cost me a lot in trial and error!

I don't often get as close as this guy, as he has longer arms and both horse and rider have been doing it longer than me!!
    http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/webim...2414527502.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    yep but to be using a true revolver ,as i said the lad whom i saw his weapon was a peacemaker which forward vented but no true bore it would only vent flash and the small seed husks ,so made for the job
    Well food for thought, I already have forward venting partially blocked pistols, but I haven't got into making my own rounds, and the .38 ones i bought (which have wax in the end) are about twice as loud as a 9mm and have a very good range.

I need a halfway house, so hoping that a percussion revolver will allow me to use a smaller blast with better effect as the barrel is clear

Sorry to say that I'm trying very hard, so far I confess with no success, to get my head round the fact that you seem to have been granted an FAC for a Section 1 BP revolver in order to shoot bloons from the back of a norse.

Have I got it right? [Over the way nobody is going to believe this].

Me being nosey - what was your 'good reason' to acquire this Section 1 firearm? It cannot have been target shooting, since you don't actually shoot it at the target -or do you? It can't be pest control either, unless you feel that bloons are somehow threatening to your livestock or crops.

So please, just put my mind at rest and tell me, and no doubt, a few others, what prompted your county Chief Constable to make his [to me] surprising decision.

tac
    vcrai.com

Oh dear - so this is my first post and the only "help" you guys can offer is to pick apart my FAC application!

Can we stick to the subject here, or has no one experimented with different types of powders and numbers of grains?

Ieazo is offline Tony hawk's stunt double...Just the face though
    I am reading this with interest, sorry I can't offer any help but good luck.

Have you any more pics, or links?

I do admit I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at your FAC interview bet you raised an eyebrow or two but that's not to say your reason is any less valid than target or hunting so hats off to you and again, good luck.
    I like tinkering and banging

So do I really need a re-enactment forum for good advice over blank loads?

I would like know silly things, for example with no ball the best way to stop everything falling out if you are careering round on horseback. The safety of my horse is my #1 priority and hence why I will be off to a club to learn how to handle these.

The sport is here: www.britishtentpegging.com

We have a GB team, this is an FEI sport and appears in the Asian Olympics. So it's legit

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    what a great hobby!
    Well it beats most horse sports for the fun factor! Plus I'd like to think it's more interesting to watch too.