Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help for a wet behind the ears newbie - and blank loads

It would be interesting to know what's actually in the commerical loads

The 9mm nitros I had were very quiet and couldn't burst a balloon, but were good for a quieter training round and when we once had to do a competition inside (I decided better to keep horse happy than to burst the balloons)

The nitro that blew up a trinity was a long cased home load I believe, so no crimp open ended. Hence my reluctance to mess with nitro.

Are dainty muzzle loaders common?

Also random question, but how much would you expect a dealer to charge to receive a firearm on your behalf? Quite a few have quoted £30

my rfd for me nothing, he tells me a tenner to cover the paperwork with everyone else so 20 to 30 is about normal. the most common is the 1862 colt replica. look on henry kranks website.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

I have friends on Ohio that shoot this and similar comps/disciplines regularly from horseback - but as a shooter and rider myself - it freaks me out slightly I must admit ! I would not want to combine the two !

http://americashorsedaily.com/saddle...nted-shooting/
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2161837/posts
    http://www.acmsa.com/melissa%20dragoo.htm
    and check the video in this one
    http://newmsa.com/

Jimmy uses a coarse BP rifle powder loaded in brass pistol cases - capped with a simple card wad - then sealed with a cellulose varnish (nail polish to you & me)

They use both pistols & leverguns

They are hitting balloons from about 15ft - and when I went to see him (and his wife) shooting - my assumption is that the coarse powder is still burning and it is that that does the bursting (I may be wrong) - there is no 'solids' husks seeds wax lumps etc
    See this link http://www.ponybox.com/upload/news/1805_featured.jpg

But........ to respond to one question from the OP . NONE of them are quiet !!!!!!

Now the problem comes when you use the worlds 'blanks' and 'percussion pistol' in the same sentence - as they don't exctly go together . and cartridge pistols are now Section 5 - but if you have one allowed for this discipline - then good luck to you !!

Cheers and Yeee HA !!!

Roy
    Last edited by harricook; 06-08-2012 at 09:31 AM.

FYI,the powder used in cartridge blanks are nothing like we use in our bulleted rounds.
    Blank powders are usually terrifically fast.
    Think Bullseye x 10 (generalisation but you get the picture!)

Going back to the pyrodex/ml pistol,how about using the florist foam in that to hold the powder?
    Say 20 grains of v fine powder,florist foam with abit of nail varnish to hold it in place?
    You could make a tubing cutter to get the right diameter of foam.

I may give this ago later myself!

Even racier,how about a duplex load?

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by pegger View Post
    Oh dear - so this is my first post and the only "help" you guys can offer is to pick apart my FAC application!

Can we stick to the subject here, or has no one experimented with different types of powders and numbers of grains?
    Not 'guys', just me, and I'm sorry to have caused you any offence. Given the rather wacky laws regarding acquisition and possession of firearms over here, it's not something I'd ever heard of and I'm pretty certain I'm not the only one here. It's just that the others are too polite, but I'm just an old soldier and if I want to know something, I ax.

Let's all calm down, eh?

tac

Quote Originally Posted by farmer7 View Post
    Totally unhelpful. Also implies he's telling lies!
    I refute that totally. I am asking in order to find out, not to prosecute or persecute. Given the rather odd firearms laws in this country, especially regarding the discharging of a live Section 1 firearm [from horseback] and add to that that the sport is obscure enough for me never to have heard of it, I think it's fair for me to ask how it was achieved.

I have already posted an apology to the OP, but I do not intend to apologise to you as well. If you don't like my post, please complain to the management, and THEY can deal with it by suspending or banning me.

tac

The coarse grain that Roy mentions hits the nail on the head, perfect to have the glowing grain popping the balloon. And as Tony says a duplex load, so you would use a fine powder as the main charge topped of with some coarse grain to do the pop. The burn of the fine stuff would be faster so the coarse would be ejected still burning.

I still think your ignition would give you problems, caps are not as reliable as primers in a cartridge. A larger hole in the nipple should help as the pressure should be fairly low. The ideal might be a nitro conversion cylinder which uses shotgun primers but this would be an expensive gun.

A tissue wad with nail varnish to secure it seems a good idea. I think florist foam is man made so perhaps the bang would turn it into a molten plastic projectile, maybe to much. Our wool wads are spat out whole but dont go very and may disrupt the glowing grains coming out.

The info that you could be looking at 15 yds range throws the cat among the pidgeons thats quite a way for no projectile to pop a balloon, would a pinch of semolina be to much ejecta?. I guess we are looking at something that will give a bit of spread like a shotgun so a shorter barrel perhaps.

Its an interesting load puzzle and the combined wisdom on here has come up with something approaching what you need I think.
    Last edited by Smokeless Coal; 06-08-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

This topic is on very similar lines to something I proposed at my club, which was quick draw balloon popping so its all good info for me as well.

How about adding some salt?

Tony

Do you mean rock salt?

tac
    vcrai.com

would not be good for the horse if it got hit

Interesting subject.......

Give me a minute.

.36 calibre, nitro conversion, CCI 209 shotgun primer, 2gns of Unique and a Krank .36 cal soft wad.

Shaken within reason, primer stays in cylinder as they are recessed on the nitro conversions. And the wad, which is tight fitting keeps the powder in the chamber when seated full length of the rammer.

A satisfying bang, but not so loud that I would have needed ear defenders in the garage. At three feet the wad went through one side of a shoe box and stayed in there. A nice flash even under strip lights.

Jobs a good 'un!

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Someone just had fun
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

A good test Simon. Another test would be balloons at increasing distances and see what the furthest popping distance is.