Thread: a pair of cadets

a pair of cadets

just picked up another cadet to go with the one I already have (my first gun)

Its a smoothbore .177 1951-1962 according to knibbs and has the usual patina and pitting. Looking forward to getting it cleaned up and test fired.

my other one is a .177 1943-1947 which is in better condition and shoots really sweet for its age...

im going to have to get my hands on a chrony to to satisfy my curiosities one of these days

anyone else have a cadet?

yep i had one years ago it was really accurate for what it was and in good nick apart from a broken stock
    i wish we had the internet then i would have kept it
    i bought another one off here a couple of months ago but havent got round to doing anything with it yet
    i think they only put out about 5 ft pounds though good for garden fun on a sunny sunday afternoon (if we ever get any sun)

exactly what i use it for mate... and agreed on accuracy - i can ping bottle tops at 15 yards all day long with mine..

I remember growing up with that gun - took what seemed like 100 shots one time, but i eventually managed to shoot a minnow!

the thing i have noticed with mine also is that the older one seems to be better made!

another thing i noticed about the differences in my two cadets is the older one has no stock bolt going up through the pistol grip... and the stock has an inlaid strip of wood running through the pistol grip face.. i cant find anything on knibbs about this.. the action seems to be held in place at the rear with the trigger guard screws.

bummer - just tried to have a look at the action on my new one (without the use of any loosing oil ) and broke a front stock screw... hopefully there will be enough protruding from the action to fully remove it later on..after a good soak with wd40!

cadet

i think my cadet dates 1949-51 going by the serial number,it has the stock bolt and the inlay.it shoots very well up to about 15yds.these little rifles are of very sturdy construction and great for garden use,no idea about power output but the pellets will bury themselves pleasingly into fence posts at 15+ yards.a very nice gun to shoot in my opinion. atb.

Cadets

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    just picked up another cadet to go with the one i already have (my first gun)

its a smoothbore .177 1951-1962 according to knibbs and has the usual patina and pitting. Looking forward to getting it cleaned up and test fired.

My other one is a .177 1943-1947 which is in better condition and shoots really sweet for its age...

Im going to have to get my hands on a chrony to to satisfy my curiosities one of these days

anyone else have a cadet?
    [quote] i woul love to see the smoothbore when you have it finished as i have four smoothbore two cadets andtwo majors[quote]

cadet major

my dad has still got his cadet major he got when he was a kid , and first rifle i ever fired . its still going strong its accounted for a pigeon and squrrel just lately

Cadet Major

I have a Cadet Major 1947 in .177 in realy nice condition. Took it to the range 2 weeks ago ,had this since i was 10 years old ,i am now 67 so served me well over all those years. Taken a seat in the cabinet along with 2 Meteors one in .177 and one in .22 And A Gold Star in .22 but that wants the stock refurb. All took a seat in the cabinet,main tool now is BSA R10 MK2 in small cal .177 . And love them all......

my dad

my dads had his since he was about that age and now is 73. I started off with it at 9. Got an old airsporter , webly mk3 , r7 , daystate ph6 , supersort,original 45 , dastate panther , 3 shotguns , 5 fullbore rifles , so that little bsa started me off and ended up costing me a fortune lots of fun though
    Last edited by magnummike; 04-10-2012 at 06:59 PM.