Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TAU 7 Match

I sold one of my TAU 7 Match pistols locally today, and I am pleased to say it will on active service in the Classic Carbon League.

Great news to know it has a good home and that it will be used and not just looked at now they are getting so rare.

My own TAU Match 7 with the stippled grip is still with me and still think it is a superb pistol with the same sort of dramatic good looks as the Original Model 10 - another Classic !
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I sold one of my TAU 7 Match pistols locally today, and I am pleased to say it will on active service in the Classic Carbon League.

Great news to know it has a good home and that it will be used and not just looked at now they are getting so rare.

My own TAU Match 7 with the stippled grip is still with me and still think it is a superb pistol with the same sort of dramatic good looks as the Original Model 10 - another Classic !

I am now reluctantly selling my other genuine TAU 7 MATCH pistol as I reduce my target airgun collection size.

http://bobsairguns.com/index.php?opt...ery&Itemid=107

http://bobsairguns.com/index.php?opt...lery&Itemid=49

........now sold !
    Last edited by zooma; 15-09-2016 at 12:02 PM.

I have now sold my own TAU 7 Match to a fellow RMTC club member and I am pleased to see it in regular action every week - and achieving some good consistent scores too!

The start of this thread may also help those that do not know the difference between the TAU 7 and the TAU 7 Match to identify them.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I have now sold my own TAU 7 Match to a fellow RMTC club member and I am pleased to see it in regular action every week - and achieving some good consistent scores too!

The start of this thread may also help those that do not know the difference between the TAU 7 and the TAU 7 Match to identify them.
    Roll-on a few years and last week I was fortunate enough to be able to make a deal with my fellow club member and now I have my original TAU 7 Match back with me again.

I was delighted to get this match pistol back as I really enjoy shooting with it and it is still in the same "as new" condition as it was when I first parted with it - well not quite "as new" because when I first owned it I added some stippling to the grip as the only problem I found with the TAU 7 Match was the gloss finish of the laminated grip. It looked really nice, but was not as "grippy" as I would have liked it to be, so I stippled the grip in the usual areas to take care of this.

At the time I was into making and refinishing match pistol grips and I would like to think that my work on this particular grip has enhanced it rather than defaced it, but realise that a purist (collector) would probably think it had been "spoilt" as it was no longer in its original ex-factory finish, but I find it has improved the feel of the pistol and after being parted with it for some time, I am still pleased with the way that it looks and feels.

I spent some time that first evening when I got it back shooting with it on the clubs 10 meter range and was reminded again about just how good these lovely lightweight match pistols really are - far more accurate than this particular shooter will ever be - and with the power adjustment set as it was I probably had about 90 shots before I exhausted the CO2 "bulb".

It is a shame that these TAU 7 MATCH pistols are no longer made as I think they have a lot to offer and were very good value when they could still be bought new.

I have just been onto the TAU site and found this:-

http://www.taubrno.com/tau-7-match--buk-en

It looks like there is a current version of the TAU 7 MATCH still being made, but it now has a walnut grip and no longer comes with the original type laminated grip or the fitted alloy case, but it does look very similar.......and the grip now comes with a stippled finish!

I cannot see from the picture if the pistol still comes with the optional weights and rear "balance bar" of the original, and I have not yet checked what the price would be in £ sterling or if it available in the UK, but it does look very interesting

Checking online I have also found this link to buy a new version TAU 7 MATCH in the UK for £440.00.

www.sureshot-airguns.co.uk; www.sureshot-airguns.co.uk/tau-brno/
    Last edited by zooma; 01-01-2022 at 12:11 PM.

Yep, its made in this 'cheap'form for years now.
    I dont know if its the same Match as recently (that is, with 'extra quality' barrel). Or that it is just the Standard or Sport version in disguise. I actually think the last; the original Match wasnt sold much. Was very rare. The Standard was probably 90% of their sales.
    Silhouet has changed accordingly; no more laminate.
    Probably still has same accessoiries. Incl the rear weight bar. Allthough never used it on either Tau 7 I have/had.
    Theyre focussing more and more on their pcp range.
    Theyre doing very well. Their PCP guns have their flaws but have ingenious elements too and are véry nice to shoot
    Pitty they dont have the Safari any more. Havent seen one for many years.
    ATB,
    yana

Happy New Year Yana,

I checked out the UK seller for TAU, but they have nothing currently advertised to suggest that they still sell them, but I will ask tomorrow as I know somebody that would like a TAU 7 Match - even if it is the current type .....and hope it still has the "selected" barrel.

If there are no sellers for TAU in the UK, then we will have to find out how the current regulations will affect the import of one direct from the factory.

Finding a good used older type would probably be a better bet. I have not seen one for sale recently - but there will be at least two others in our area that were sold from the local model shop before the regulations regarding who could stock and sell airguns here in the UK changed, so maybe one of those will come up for sale?

I have never seen a TAU 8 here in the UK, but it does look like another good value for money match pistol. If the TAU 8 shoots as well as the TAU 7 Match, there should have been a lot more of them in regular use (if the supply and price was good here in the UK) as more shooters like to shoot a PCP match pistol than a CO2 match pistol.

Stay safe,

Bob.

Happy new year to you too Bob!
    Last time there was a Tau discussion I believe the UK still had an importer. If so, they will not sell directly from factory.
    According to the Tau website, Sureshot is their 'partner'. I assume they mean importer.
    They come up every now and than on egun, but that doesnt help you guys as UK is not EU anymore. For sóme things, thats a downside
    In the UK theyve always been expensive, even sechand.
    I owned one of the first series Tau MK8. It is well made. I had an issue with my POI being too high. Solved it with a front sight shim.
    Besides that, it had a very curious special airstripper. You could really féél the air blast on your hand
    Never encountered that. But (because of that?) it was VERY dead to shoot. More than my Morini 162E.
    Trigger felt almost like an E trigger, very clinical.
    So it was a pistol with lots of potential, but with some start-up flaws.
    Same goes for MK300. It has an ingenious adjustable sight system. And it shoulders and fits very natural and I can hold it still very well.
    They just have to stop 'screwing around'with those filler plugs...They use 2 different plugs unfortunately, for the MK8 and 300. But you cant tell by eye which one is which.
    First series were manufactured randomly so it seems. My MK300 I had to fill with the MK8 plug. The one delivered with it, only leaked its air.
    But they dont seem to have noted anywhere which was made with which; I sold the MK8 so needed another plug for MK300 but they sent the wrong one. I guess I have to order a MK8 plug
    Thats Tau. That REALLY is Tau. They make great stuff, but sometimes....lol
    Finishing-off isnt the strong point of any czech company, which may cause issues with burrs on seals , regulator etc. (Had that with my Aeron Spider as well). So if yr really into serious shooting, you're better off with a more reliable brand I think.
    ATB,
    yana

Hi Yana,

I think you have summed it up TAU air pistols beautifully.

They are quirky budget priced airguns that perform far better than they should, and so they are ideal for beginners and those on a tight budget, but the more expensive Swiss, Italian and German made match pistols make a better long term proposition.

I like the Tau 7 Match and I will enjoy shooting it - but it will never be a serious replacement for my Morini or Pardini match pistols!

Stay safe,

Bob.

I had the chance to shoot him. A few notes here
    https://wiatrowkizbieracza.home.blog/4135-2/

Quote Originally Posted by marboc View Post
    I had the chance to shoot him. A few notes here
    https://wiatrowkizbieracza.home.blog/4135-2/
    Hi Marboc,

That looks very interesting, sadly I do not understand your Polish language, but it does look like you have taken some time to compile your test information - and I can also see that you have written about quite a lot of other interesting airguns too!

If I can find a translator, I will read it with interest.

Stay safe,

Bob.

No Current UK Importer or stockist for TAU

On another note, I did get a reply from Sureshot Airguns today to advise that they have no stock of TAU airguns and cannot get a reply from the factory, so it looks like (at this moment) there are no stockist of TAU airguns here in the UK.

Well, I must say that the Tau 7s are reliable. Ive been shooting them for about 20 yrs now. Think Ive replaced 1 piercer cap seal in that time thats it.
    But the Tau 7 has been made for decades. Biggest issue with the Tau 7 is rust as its all steel. PCPs are new for them.
    I didnt shoot any better (higher scores) with my PCP pistols back than than with my Tau 7 Match. I shot in the 360s ex 400 with the Tau 7 (pistol probably could do better). Had a Morini, Steyr, Aeron Spider, Hammerli AP, Walther LP300 to compete, (not all at same time) but nope The Tau 7 just fits in its own ingenious way.
    Todd Cooper always had a great site with lots of Tau info and testing.
    http://www.citlink.net/~schattler/at3.htm
    I used Google Translate opportunity for Marbocs site. Its best nót to use bulkfill. Its nearly impossible to get a complete fill with an attached cilinder. Use 12gr bulbs only. DONT freeze the gun! This technique is only meant to use with seperate cilinders. These you can freeze. With the freezetechnique you always need to check fillweight. When you overfill, itll freeze. Thats why guns with detachable CO2 cilinders have blowoff tools. You check the weight of the cilinder, check how much to add than fill and recheck. Dont overfill.
    The Tau 7 is bulkfilled through dryfiring ónly. Thats why its difficult to fill that way.
    Nr of shots vary between Tau 7s. My Match is set at very low power from factory. Itll give 80 maybe 100 shots from 1 bulb. The Junior is higher on power and gives less shots, as does the Silhouet.
    If you are experienced with the Tau 7, you can héar the CO2 lowering. On the Tau 7 Match I can nearly shoot it empty cause its so low in power.
    Mine all shoot best with JSB Match pellets by the way. Either rifle or pistol match.

Usually Tau replies on emails. However, they too have had bad times due to Covid measures. They are/have been in lockdown long time. Im waiting for pcp cilinder and parts for more than 6 months now.
    What usually dóes work to get them to reply is to order something lol
    Last edited by hwtyger; 04-01-2022 at 07:31 AM.
    ATB,
    yana

The TAU 7 is a very good gun. For me, it has only one drawback, CO2