Thread: New member just brought HW45 BLACK STAR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New member just brought HW45 BLACK STAR

Hello,I am a new member here & just brought myself a HW45 BLACK STAR air pistol .22 ,I would like to know if i have made a good choice or not ?,I brought the gun just to have some fun with,shooting tin cans & targets and stuff with it.I am not into hunting or hurting any animals with it.Just for fun as a i say.

I have had a few gun before when i was a kid,my best gun that i liked back then was a webley tempest .22 air pistol.I was going to buy one of them again but i see a HW45 SILVER STAR in the gun shop that took my eye & so i asked if i could take a close look at it.They let me hold it in the shop & i loved the feel of it in my hands.The only thing i was not sure about at the time was the silver look to it as i thought it looked a little bit like a toy gun.anyway i liked it so much still that i left a £50 deposit on it & then went home.When i got home i fired up the laptop to look at it again online & found out that they do the same gun in black called the black star.I thought it looked so god dam sexy so i called the gun shop to ask if they can get me that one instead & they said yes they can but i would need to wait over a week for it to come in,I said deal i will wait.The gun was £17 cheaper than the silver one to so that was ok.

So i should have my new toy to play with next week ,now after reading a little bit online about the gun i am a bit worried because many people seem to be saying that it is a very hard gun to shoot & i am starting to think that maybe i have wasted my money .

Can anyone tell me if the HW45 is going to be harder to shoot than a webley tempest ?,as i say i had a tempest once before and i did love it but i thought that was hard enough for me to shoot.sometimes i was ok on it and other days i was crap & i did get a bit mad with it.

Do you good people think that i will like it or not ?,I know that it might be hard for people to tell me if i am going to like it or not but would love to just hear peoples opinions on this forum.

I have just sold my brand new AirArms s410 tdr .22 last week as i thought it was not fun to shoot,as it seemed a bit to easy to hit things with it & i felt like it was not much fun shooting it for some reson.This is why i thought i would get a pistol instead.BUT i do not want a pistol that is going to be too hard to shoot and hit cans with it.

Also what pellets shoot good in this HW45 black star ? , i have just brought some RWS super dooms just for a start but would like to know what is the best of the best to shoot in this gun for fun shooting.

I was going to buy a webley alecto at first but when i talked to the man in the gun shop he said lots of people do not like them when they see them in the flesh so that put me right off them.Anyway i think this will be enought questions for my first post.

Thanks in advance for any reply i get & thanks for having me admin

Hi,

Welcome to the forum

I also have a Black Star .22 and I absolutely love it! I wouldn't say it's any more or less difficult than a Tempest but it is a little more challenging than the Alecto due to the fact that the HW45 has a bit of recoil. I found the Alecto very boring to shoot and i didn't really get on with the cocking action. I also thought it looked a bit cheapo due to all the plastic. However, I would probably own one if the price was right. I.e. £120 used.

My Black Star seems to like JSB exact dome heads but that's the only type of pellet that I've tried in it. Trust me, you will have no problem killing cans with it, I can hit cans fairly consistently up to about 20 metres and I'm fairly new to pistol shooting.

My girlfriend has a CO2 Beretta but she liked my HW so much that she has just bought a used Silver Star in .22! She's gonna try to whoop my ass at the range with it today

Don't be put off if you don't hit everything you point the gun at, it will take a while to get used to it. Also your gun will probably diesel (smoke coming out of the muzzle) for the first few tins of pellets but I hear that this is normal and doesn't affect the accuracy of the gun.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine,

ATB

Peter

Try the search bar. You should find loads of posts and advice on HW45's. Welcome to the forum by the way.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

welcome to BBS,I have 2 HW45 PISTOLS .177 and .22 they are both great pistols for hitting tin cans etc it will take you a while to hit targets every time because of the recoil ,you may want to consider fitting a red dot sight at some point ,I also have a webley tempest but prefer the HW45,you have made a good choice,although I prefer rifles for target shooting but as you say with todays advanced rifles it is very hard to miss the target a pistol is more of a challenge,have fun.
    Ken.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Welcome to the BBS Hotshot
    Don't worry about hitting things with the HW45, as spring pistols go its recoil is quite manageable and the trigger is excellent which helps accuracy greatly. As long as you keep a consistent hold on the gun you will get results - it's not particularly hold sensitive, just don't hold it really really tightly and you will get on just fine.
    Have a play with it, holding it in different ways and see what it does to the POI (point of impact). The important thing is to hold it in such a way that you can replicate that hold each time. In my experience the Artillery Hold doesn't work so well with pistols, they prefer a slightly firmer grip. Have an experiment yourself though, shoot some groups and see what works for you.
    Start off shooting on 1/2 power for a bit, not only to get used to the recoil but also to get rid of some of the factory lube without it detonating and smoking too much.
    Just so you know, it will shoot to a different point depending on the power it is set at - counterintuitively it will impact lower on higher power - this is due to the timing of the firing cycle.

I've not shot a tempest but I'll hazard a good guess that the HW45 will be easier to shoot.
    Opinions differ, but there is a broad consensus that the HW45 is the best sporting spring pistol available. You haven't wasted your money by any means
    Good deals with these members

I would worry more about getting it.
    These are in short supply and are special order from HW.
    That can take a long time.

You will love it. Easily customisable with alternative grips and barrels are easy to swap so if you get bored of .22 you could try .20 or .177

Have what i believe to be a Mk1 HW45 in .177 and i love it. My first pistol as i was a bit bored with the clinical ability of my 3 AA s410's.
    I could hit a tin can end on stright of. Times are hard cash wise at the moment but this will be one of the last things to go.
    Wanted S4** in need of TLC Project required WYG
    AA S410TDR .22 050370 Tench reg (AA S410 Classic .177 039396 Pre A/T Walnut T/Hole) AA s410k 1.77 Tench Reg HW90 .177 1268824

Quote Originally Posted by Hotshot666 View Post
    Hello,I am a new member here & just brought myself a HW45 BLACK STAR air pistol .22 ,I would like to know if i have made a good choice or not ?,I brought the gun just to have some fun with,shooting tin cans & targets and stuff with it.I am not into hunting or hurting any animals with it.Just for fun as a i say.

I have had a few gun before when i was a kid,my best gun that i liked back then was a webley tempest .22 air pistol.I was going to buy one of them again but i see a HW45 SILVER STAR in the gun shop that took my eye & so i asked if i could take a close look at it.They let me hold it in the shop & i loved the feel of it in my hands.The only thing i was not sure about at the time was the silver look to it as i thought it looked a little bit like a toy gun.anyway i liked it so much still that i left a £50 deposit on it & then went home.When i got home i fired up the laptop to look at it again online & found out that they do the same gun in black called the black star.I thought it looked so god dam sexy so i called the gun shop to ask if they can get me that one instead & they said yes they can but i would need to wait over a week for it to come in,I said deal i will wait.The gun was £17 cheaper than the silver one to so that was ok.

So i should have my new toy to play with next week ,now after reading a little bit online about the gun i am a bit worried because many people seem to be saying that it is a very hard gun to shoot & i am starting to think that maybe i have wasted my money .

Can anyone tell me if the HW45 is going to be harder to shoot than a webley tempest ?,as i say i had a tempest once before and i did love it but i thought that was hard enough for me to shoot.sometimes i was ok on it and other days i was crap & i did get a bit mad with it.

Do you good people think that i will like it or not ?,I know that it might be hard for people to tell me if i am going to like it or not but would love to just hear peoples opinions on this forum.

I have just sold my brand new AirArms s410 tdr .22 last week as i thought it was not fun to shoot,as it seemed a bit to easy to hit things with it & i felt like it was not much fun shooting it for some reson.This is why i thought i would get a pistol instead.BUT i do not want a pistol that is going to be too hard to shoot and hit cans with it.

Also what pellets shoot good in this HW45 black star ? , i have just brought some RWS super dooms just for a start but would like to know what is the best of the best to shoot in this gun for fun shooting.

I was going to buy a webley alecto at first but when i talked to the man in the gun shop he said lots of people do not like them when they see them in the flesh so that put me right off them.Anyway i think this will be enought questions for my first post.

Thanks in advance for any reply i get & thanks for having me admin
    I bought a .22 Alecto about 6 months ago, and I find it a brilliant bit of kit, light, easy to shoot and very accurate, I don't where that dealer was coming from, I'm very happy with my Alecto. Perhaps you should have had a try before ordering the HW45?

Hi Dave1943,I am very pleased to hear that you are happy with you Webley Alecto

I did hold one in the gun shop & it was not my cuppa tea right of the bat,I have small hands so that did not help.I would still like to fire one though just to see what they are all about.From what i have read they are still a very good gun.

everyone is diffent though,not everyone likes the same gun,if we did it would be a boring old world

I have spent the whole day shooting The HW45,used a whole tin of pellets & am feeling a little bit sick of shooting,my hands are hurting bad .I do love this HW45,it is a joy to shoot & i do not miss much i am shooting at,if i do miss,i will hit it within the next 2 shots belive.I pulled off an amazing shot today,a tin can about 50 meters away,I hit it dead on & it took off ,smack it went.Belive I do not need a red dot on this baby.the open glow sights are a bit of me.

Lol as i say my hands hurt bad & I got the kids begging me to go shooting again tomorrow ,I have a bad right hand anyway & all that shooting today has really upset it,I feel old right now .

Take care all & I will try & do the same

Just thought I would show one last target card that I shot today,& there was me worrying if I would be able to hit a can with it.

2 shots was shot at the bull,2 at the lid of the can,1 shot at the bottle,3 at the rat.

RWS Superdomes .22

Thank you Welhrauch for making an excellent pistol if you read this.I am more than happy with it,you did it in style.I love everything about it.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/...6/SAM_2356.jpg
    Last edited by Hotshot666; 02-11-2012 at 01:11 AM.

good shooting now you need the silver,stl.standard, youve just got to love hw45s
    brian.
    PS just tell the wife we said it was ok.

If your interested airgunner.177 makes grips for crosman,webley and hw45, he has just made lovely grips for my webley hurricane.
    Why not drop him a line

Quote Originally Posted by Hotshot666 View Post
    Hi Dave1943,I am very pleased to hear that you are happy with you Webley Alecto

I did hold one in the gun shop & it was not my cuppa tea right of the bat,I have small hands so that did not help.I would still like to fire one though just to see what they are all about.From what i have read they are still a very good gun.

everyone is diffent though,not everyone likes the same gun,if we did it would be a boring old world

I have spent the whole day shooting The HW45,used a whole tin of pellets & am feeling a little bit sick of shooting,my hands are hurting bad .I do love this HW45,it is a joy to shoot & i do not miss much i am shooting at,if i do miss,i will hit it within the next 2 shots belive.I pulled off an amazing shot today,a tin can about 50 meters away,I hit it dead on & it took off ,smack it went.Belive I do not need a red dot on this baby.the open glow sights are a bit of me.

Lol as i say my hands hurt bad & I got the kids begging me to go shooting again tomorrow ,I have a bad right hand anyway & all that shooting today has really upset it,I feel old right now .

Take care all & I will try & do the same

Thanks for the reply Hotshot, I, too have small hands; (my website name is a clue), and unfortunately, living in N. Ireland, air pistols are not as common as the rest of the UK, mainly because:1/ all weapons have to be on a FAC, and 2/ most folk who own pistols here are either rimfire or centrefire, as it easier to get on a ticket, which means, you cannot go into a gunshop as ask to try out various air weapons as in the case of the rest of the UK, you have to order on spec. I read up all the reports on the Alecto and took a chance, which fortunately turned out ok for me, I also have a co2 pistol that got from my son living over in England, and I had to get it on my FAC, before I went over to collect it, you are very lucky in the choice of airguns that you can have.
    I'm glad that you are getting on with the HW45, but how is it making your hand sore, I know that you mentioned a bad right hand, that intrigues me, can you shoot using your left hand? I didn't realise until shooting my pistol, that my master eye was my left eye, so I shoot right-handed using my left eye: rolleyes:
    I've haven't had any bother with the Alecto, and I've had some long sessions with it at times, especially when we have had guest shoots and the ladies have been using my guns and I've loading steadily for two to three hours for them. While they're waiting their turn on the rimfires.
    I have a recent scorecard that I shot last month for the 10 metre comp with the Umarex Boys Club, but it has to be put on my Photobucket as I don't know how to get it on here otherwise, done that: any misses are from me not the gun! happy shooting Cheers Dave

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...ledave/002.jpg

You say that you need FAC for any airgun ? wow what the xxxx.how long has it been lie that over there ?

Do you think it could go like that in the uk soon ,How hard is it to get FAC just for an airgun ?.what happend to all the peoples guns that people had ? what about people that have just forgot they had an airgun in the shed or in the loft somewhere ?.say if the law comes in to be the same in the uk as N. Ireland & people had lots of airguns but did not want to get a FAC ? would there guns be taken away ? did N. Ireland gov give people all there money back ?.That sucks over there why did people let the gov make that law up over there ?.all you lot should have told them no way & should have all stuck together like glue and fight back.

Could you get a FAC for an airgun just for shooting in your home in a indoor range,like a shed ?,would they let you have FAC just for that ?

I am so sorry to hear this,that makes me feel sick.they are treating ALL people like kids over there.

I have a bad right hand because I have broken it 4 times so far in my life,lets just say i have to much power in my arms for my silly little hands to handle.I have girls hands,they have always been weak,they are the downfull of my body .Everytime now if i knock my right hand just a little it will start to swell up.It sucks . Now i use my elbows instead if need be The photo of the sore near my wrist does not look much but it is,photo will not let it show well,it's much bigger looking in real life and is really red & sore,it is going to turn into a blister,I just now it.Yes now i need to rest my hands for a few days to let them recover.been out shooting again today & I need the rest now belive.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/...6/SAM_2358.jpg

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/...6/SAM_2362.jpg

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/...6/SAM_2361.jpg

Can you see I have a over size nuckle now,& i cannot close my middle finger up no more than that because it feels lie it will snap if i forced it.My hand is foooked

Lol,I wish i could get a new pair of hands from the 2nd hand shop
    Last edited by Hotshot666; 02-11-2012 at 05:43 PM.

You've cocked a springer HW45 over 1000 times in the last 2 days...... How come only your hands are sore?....my whole upper torso would be aching now if I'd done it that many times. best not to overdo it or you might not enjoy it after a while. I used both my Hw 45's up at the club today...... enjoyed it immensely, but limited myself with the pellets... Do it all again on sunday lol. all the best.