Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring rifle gathering

Spring rifle gathering

Chaps,

I can't take the credit for this one. Baxterbasics suggested it n one of my obsessive lubrication threads.

With the current high surge of interest and enthusiasm in the springer world, he's suggested a gathering of like-minded enthusiasts.

We get a venue. To make it as fair as possible, it'd have to be centrally located, to make it possible for all.
    Maybe an existing FT venue, but one with camping/b&b/hotel facilities.

An informal-ish FT/HFT shoot. Lots of trick, tuned springers.

Compulsory peeps have got to be Bigtoe, Mick, Jim Tyler and Terry D. Get some professional tuners there, too....Steve Pope, Tony Wall, Welsh Willy, Lyn Lewington, UK Neil.

Throw in lots of like-minded enthusiasts and home tinkerers. And also just people who enjoy shooting their springers, even basic, older, open sighted oldies.

Maybe a few trade stands...John Knibbs, Chambers Spares, manufacturers, importers etc etc.

Even if it can't be this grand, we need to organise a springer gathering, even if it's just 100 or so like-minded spring enthusiasts.

Come on, chaps, what do you think?

Likely venues?

THIS COULD BE A TRULY FANTASTIC DAY / WEEKEND. Let's make it happen!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

YOU can take all the credit for this idea Tony
    I merely suggested a camp over and fun target comp-that way if people have a long way to travel, it makes it more worthwhile

If you can get Terry D to strut his stuff around an HFT / FT course, that would be worth the journey alone

The only other "suggestion" would be to run a few fun sideshoots with all proceeds going to Cliff and Graylings very worthy Treats for British Troops charity
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

You'd probably have to look at the Manchester area for it to be really central.
    Whatever doesn't kill you, is going to leave a scar... A Crip With A Gun!
    S400F Superlite Carbine - XL Tactical - 280k - 2250b - Striker 1000X - IZH MP-61 - Webley Bert - 2240 - C40 - El Gamo Centre - Walther CP88 - Sig Sauer GSR - Makarov MP-654

How about kibworth shooting ground? http://www.kibworthshootingground.co.uk/

Good for hft, food, a gun shop and pretty central LE8 0RD

oh, and lots of parking.

Manchester or Leicester would be fine by me.
    Let's gather momentum and see where it takes us.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Manchester or Leicester would be fine by me.
    Let's gather momentum and see where it takes us.
    Depending on date I am sure Anne and I would support Kibworth or similar locality ... a good opportunity to compress a few springs , eh what??

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by longbow72 View Post
    How about kibworth shooting ground? http://www.kibworthshootingground.co.uk/

Good for hft, food, a gun shop and pretty central LE8 0RD

oh, and lots of parking.
    Count me in for Kibworth - Manchester's too far west for me.......

Dunk
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

Count me in

I can see that this is going to be MEGA.
    Longbow's suggested I pm a mod, so I've just pm'd TerryD to see what he thinks and if there's anything he can do to assist.
    In just a very short space of time, it's generating lots of interest (expected!!).

This will be a superb day / weekend if we can make it happen.

i like the sound of this big time. if only we could get ken turner to participate in this im probably asking for too much, but id love to see ken shoot again and id get the chance for some spares for my .177 kt83 which incidently id be pointing down range on the day. might bring me caravan thnking 'bout it this is a great idea whoever thought it up.

How many tinnies can we get in the 'van?
    Obviously all in the pursuit of scientific research....we need the empties for piston sleeves.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Cornwall is a fantastic place for a weekends camping and shooting!

It could be the "End of the road Springfest!"
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Cornwall is a fantastic place for a weekends camping and shooting!

It could be the "End of the road Springfest!"
    Hahaha....nice try, matey, very central location!

I assume we can count you in, matey, as we need your character, sense of humour and wit there!!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hahaha....nice try, matey, very central location!

I assume we can count you in, matey, as we need your character, sense of humour and wit there!!
    Anywhere's a long way from here, it's over 100 miles to the nearest bit of motorway! Geographically speaking, the centre of the Britain (excl n Ireland) is Haltwhistle on the A69.
    If its a weekend I can do and within striking distance I'll be there.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Right, without wishing to dampen the enthusiasm for this project, I can assure you it's going to be a lot harder to get it sorted than most could possibly imagine.

First, I'm afraid that what appears to be unlimited enthusiasm on here may not represent quite as much in the real world. In my experience, ten forum promises to attend equates to one person actually making it on the day. Also, if you're going to 'sell' the idea to a business, you'll need to guarantee a viable turnout. I think you'd be better off organising something around an existing event, where at least some of the interested parties will be going anyway. Kelmarsh or the Midland Game Fair are good meeting points, with camping facilities on hand.

I'd love to bring some springers to a meet, and I'd certainly give it publicity in the mags, so keep me posted and good luck with it.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge