Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Melbourne Marksmen Airgun Fayre this summer

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    Hi John

The Melbourne fayre is going ahead.

We have the blessing of our local Firearms dept and insurance is also in place through our affiliation to the NSRA.

Our club night is tomorrow (Thurs) and we will be deciding on a date then, that fits in with the Royal British Legion bookings and our members holidays.

As Waltons are having their fayre 7th July then we will work round this date also and have ours either about a month earlier or a month later

Hopefully by friday this week we will have a date firmed up.
    ATB
    John

Excellent look forward to attending both events, may I suggest a month later as there are other establish Arms Fairs in June, but non in July and August at all.

Thumbs up

Hi John

The Melbourne fayre is going ahead.

We have the blessing of our local Firearms dept and insurance is also in place through our affiliation to the NSRA.

Our club night is tomorrow (Thurs) and we will be deciding on a date then, that fits in with the Royal British Legion bookings and our members holidays.

As Waltons are having their fayre 7th July then we will work round this date also and have ours either about a month earlier or a month later

Hopefully by friday this week we will have a date firmed up.

ATB
    John
    Great news.....and once again, I'm here to help you all with any assistance you need.
    L

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Its all looking good for TWO Airgun Fayres this year then, 2013 is going to be a good year....Well done Guys !

Bring them on !

John.
    “An airgun or two”………

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Its all looking good for TWO Airgun Fayres this year then...
    Whilst it might at first seem like good news, "Two Fairs must be better than one, Right?", two events will split both the sellers and attendees across two venues seriously diluting both.

Having been to both of the Sutton Coldfield fairs I'd suggest that the demand and supply is insufficient for two events.

The Club meeting tonight will be interesting, and details of the proposed Fair will doubtless follow.

Happy shooting in the meantime.

I can sympathise with the view that experienced fair attendees have expressed about two fairs leading to a dilution of attendance.

However, now that there appear to be two fairs going ahead, Sutton Coldfield R&PC are happy to support both of them and will book a seller's table as soon as possible. We've recently accumulated a lot of items to sell on behalf of deceased or retiring shooters. (I've just brought a load home from one retiring shooter with the rear suspension springs on my VW bottoming out!) Members also have their own collectables to sell off.

Both venues are more accessible than the Sutton Coldfield site and I hope that will make it easier for buyers and sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    I can sympathise with the view that experienced fair attendees have expressed about two fairs leading to a dilution of attendance.

However, now that there appear to be two fairs going ahead, Sutton Coldfield R&PC are happy to support both of them and will book a seller's table as soon as possible. We've recently accumulated a lot of items to sell on behalf of deceased or retiring shooters. (I've just brought a load home from one retiring shooter with the rear suspension springs on my VW bottoming out!) Members also have their own collectables to sell off.

Both venues are more accessible than the Sutton Coldfield site and I hope that will make it easier for buyers and sellers.
    Thanks Charlie, I know you guys can be depended on for support. We have booked you a table.

I have posted the comments below on the other thread started by Waltons Lyons, but here they are again to update anyone reading this thread

It was felt that too much work/preparation had taken place to abandon our fayre and the opinion of the meeting at our range yesterday was that if both clubs worked hard enough then there is no reason why both clubs could not make a success of these meetings.

When I organised the first of these fayres at L&D Groby in Sept. 2008 we kept the interest of those attending by running a number of shooting events for which prizes had been donated by our sponsors.

Again prizes, including several very generous cash vouchers for airgun spares have been donated by our sponsors and so we would ask those attending to bring a rifle/rifles to shoot with in the various classes of belltarget competitions that will take place. (vintage/classic/open) plus a novelty fun shoot.

We will hopefully have a computer set up to show everyone the lead shooters in the various competitions. The prizes are well worth trying for.

I know that a few members on here sometimes attend the arms fayre at the B.M.C.Museum (jnc 6 on M42). That fayre starts at 9 am but because of the very limited amount of airguns on sale I have found that by 10 am I have been round twice and ready for the return journey.

So we will run our fayre on the same day - 16th June, but start our fayre at 11.30am.

It is a 45 min journey between the 2 venues for those wishing to attend both fayres.

We appreciate that money is tight and so we will keep the door price down to £2 and a single table will be £10 (includes a ticket)
    Entry to each competition will 50p

We will also organise a BBQ for lunchtime Chris H is the man in charge of the burgers etc Sandwiches also available

I will edit post 1 of this thread with more details and if anyone would like to come through on the Saturday night then our chairman Chris H will be available to entertain you in and around the various local pubs/curry houses. There is local accommodation available.

This fayre is 3 weeks before the Waltons fayre and I am sure that the interest generated at Melbourne will encourage our attendees to attend their's also.

If the competitions at this fayre are anything like our recent match with Redhill Revolvers then this will be a fun day.
    john
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 09-02-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added- sandwiches available
    hold me back !!

Thanks Charlie, I know you guys can be depended on for support. We have booked you a table.

I have posted the comments below on the other thread started by Waltons Lyons, but here they are again to update anyone reading this thread

It was felt that too much work/preparation had taken place to abandon our fayre and the opinion of the meeting at our range yesterday was that if both clubs worked hard enough then there is no reason why both clubs could not make a success of these meetings.

When I organised the first of these fayres at L&D Groby in Sept. 2008 we kept the interest of those attending by running a number of shooting events for which prizes had been donated by our sponsors.

Again prizes, including several very generous cash vouchers for airgun spares have been donated by our sponsors and so we would ask those attending to bring a rifle/rifles to shoot with in the various classes of belltarget competitions that will take place. (vintage/classic/open) plus a novelty fun shoot.

We will hopefully have a computer set up to show everyone the lead shooters in the various competitions. The prizes are well worth trying for.

I know that a few members on here sometimes attend the arms fayre at the B.M.C.Museum (jnc 6 on M42). That fayre starts at 9 am but because of the very limited amount of airguns on sale I have found that by 10 am I have been round twice and ready for the return journey.

So we will run our fayre on the same day - 16th June, but start our fayre at 11.30am.

It is a 45 min journey between the 2 venues for those wishing to attend both fayres.

We appreciate that money is tight and so we will keep the door price down to £2 and a single table will be £10 (includes a ticket)
    Entry to each competition will 50p

We will also organise a BBQ for lunchtime Chris H is the man in charge of the burgers etc

I will edit post 1 of this thread with more details and if anyone would like to come through on the Saturday night then our chairman Chris H will be available to entertain you in and around the various local pubs/curry houses. There is local accommodation available.

This fayre is 3 weeks before the Waltons fayre and I am sure that the interest generated at Melbourne will encourage our attendees to attend their's also.

If the competitions at this fayre are anything like our recent match with Redhill Revolvers then this will be a fun day.
    john
    Excellent, I wish Melbourne all the best with their endeavours.

Thumbs up

Its good to see that a date has been agreed hopefully both fayres will be well supported, ...mike...

I will be there, I went to the Melbourne last year as a guest and was made very welcome, it will be good to go back again.

I also went to the Sutton fayre where I met some of the Melbourne members again, very pleasant and knowlegable people. While I was there I picked up a chromed Gat for £5, a real bargain, also I met a vendor who at a later date sold me a Webley MkII Target pistol I needed for my collection at a very reasonable price, he is also a BBS member.

These fayres are a great place to meet up with like minded people, may I suggest that if you do attend Melbourne or Walton Lions that you make yourself known as a forum member, which ever one you belong to.

I would reccomend all members to attend if they can, good bargains to be had and contacts to be made.

If Melbourne produce any posters or leaflets. Please let us have some so we can use them at the promo events we take part in.

I'm really glad that the venues & dates for both Melbourne and Walton Lions Fayres have now been finalised and sincerely wish both events every success. At least this way we will establish whether there is sufficient interest to sustain two events held quite close together. The only plea I would make is that both clubs review the situation next year with a view to possibly combining their efforts to establish a larger regular event that may attract a wider attendance. Maybe the venue could alternate between the two clubs as suggested in an earlier post.

Regards

Brian

bell target matches

Thanks to all for your support to date

What may also be a good idea is to have a rifle team event arranged (teams nominated before the day) and shot on the day
    Perhaps teams of 3 or maybe even pairs

I have a superb biathlon target with steel discs that have holes that go down from 12mm on disc 1 to 6mm on the final disc 5.

This would be ideal for a team match.
    Shots through the holes cause a white flag to trip showing a hit and points are normally 1 for disc 1, 2 for disc 2 etc up to the final very difficult disc 5. So a max score over the 5 shots is: 15 if my sums are right or 45 for a team.

Food for thought - plenty of time to arrange

John
    hold me back !!

Outdoor shoot

Ideas are rolling in for fun on the day

Chris H has come up with the idea of holding one of our exciting duck shoots, outdoor adjacent to the BBQ in a marquee

It is a very safe and excellent spectator sport and shot with our specially adapted club CO2 powered rifle (designed and donated by airgun wizard Marcmac).

Ballistic corks are used instead of pellets at a range of 6 yds and this unusual shooting discipline may well take off.

Prize for the winner.
    hold me back !!

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    Quote Originally Posted by harry123 View Post
    Great news.....and once again, I'm here to help you all with any assistance you need.
    L
    If I can be of any help in any way please let me know also.
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

Help on the day

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
    If I can be of any help in any way please let me know also.
    Thanks mate

I think we may well need some range marshalls on the day if we run all these comps.

Chris will have a table on the day and may well need someone to take charge when he is cooking the sausages and if there is a demand for the 'bring and buy' then we would perhaps need some help on there

Offers of help gratefully received

Chris or myself will keep in touch

Thanks again

John
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 12-02-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: addition
    hold me back !!