Thread: Remington shooting a tad high (a foot actually...)

Remington shooting a tad high (a foot actually...)

Ok, I've now been to the range three times with my Pedsersoli .44 Remington and I have, I think, a problem.
    Basically the gun is a pleasure to shoot and giving good groups - but shooting about a foot high at 25yards.
    Now I got the pistol second hand but from a dealer and paid a good price so is this acceptable?
    Other relevant points are the front sight has been filed down a tad (maybe 2mm) - this I know will make it shoot higher but a casual calculation tells me that even an unfiled new one (which I am trying to obtain) will not lower the POI by that amount.

I've let others shoot this by the way, with exactly the same results.
    I'm using 21g powder, balls fit just righ (can't off hand remember exactly what size), a semolina packing (I think 23g-ish).
    Anyone any ideas/views?
    Cheers,
    Simesgee

Either add some height to the foresight somehow or else move your target to 40-50 yards.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

In my historical research, and almost fifty years of shooting older guns, I've yet to find a REAL old-style revolver, let alone a replica, that did NOT shoot high at 25 yards. Even my Ruger Old Army, with its anachronistic adjustable sights screwed down flat, shoots about 15 inches high at 25 yards. This is simply because most guns of that type were designed to shoot to a point of aim at least 50 yards away.

So, aim lower, or get a taller foresight fitted. I built mine up with JB Weld, and filed it down to get a more acceptable 'mark'.

tac

Remington shooting high

Cheers tac.
    Just phoned Kranks and they can get new front sights but I have to measure the dovetail as Pedersoli have used different sizes. Apparently filing the sight to lower the POI is a common mistake....
    Adding height to the front sight is, as you say, the only way to get round this problem. The gloop on the front to build it up is an option as well, althoug I am wondering if drifting out the dowvwtail front sight and seeing if anyone can weld a larger element to it woulld be an easier option?
    Anyway, nice to know this is ahem, "normal".
    Cheers,
    Simes