Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermal image monocular

Thermal image monocular

I have just taken the guide 518c out for its first outing after a bit of fiddling around with settings
    All i can say is WOW. I could see rabbits crows and pigeons out to approx 150 yards.
    Then i came accross two larger heat sources about 600 yards away although at this range i could not identify what animal they were i could see which way they were pointing as the thermal image could pick out the engine room of these animals. As these tests were carried out in the light i had a draw tube swarovski scope with me and the two larger heat sources were Roe Deer.
    Iam thinking 1 or 2 more trips in the light then the real test at night, i cant wait!
    Steve

The next instalment

Tried the guide out a little more so now I know what all the buttons do without looking
    Had a trip today to one of our deer shoots ( nearly all muntjac) this is a shoot in a very dense broadleaf woodland. We have 6 high seats set up but we have to feed the deer so they are shootable we fed today with maize as this seems to be a favourite. When I finally climbed into the high seat with rifle binos and the guide 518c.
    Turned the guide on and noticed straight away that the heap of maize was still warm from being in the motor so it had a really handy thermal signature. Upon my next scan with the guide I found a heat source on the maize it was a squirrel approx 75 yards away then I noticed a few tiny heat sources that turned out to be blue tits approx 50 yards away. After about an hour I spotted a large heat source and could clearly identify as a muntjac. Anyone who shoots muntjac will know that the big bucks very rearly show them selves. This muntjac would not leave the cover of a briar hedge but remained clearly visible on the thermal scope. At no time could I see this deer with my binos. I worked out that to carry on moving in the same direction this deer would have to cross a two foot opening between briar bushes this proved to be the deers last steps with a well placed 55 grain .223 bullet.
    Again I looked through the thermal scope and could clearly see the dead deer and again I could not see the carcass with the binos. This buck was a large healthy buck the type you rarely see even though you know they are there. This thermal scope in going to become a must take piece of kit that will go on most hunts with me.
    The next trip will be foxing with thermal for spotting and night vision for shooting.
    I have taken a few photos with the on board camera in the guide but have not worked out how to put them on here yet..
    Steve
    Steve

Had one of these for fifteen months now and I wouldn't be without mine. Don't use an nv spotter anymore.

Once you get used to the heat signatures of different animals, you'll be amazed at how far you can identify them.

Mine is on Auto all of the time and set on white hot.

George
    Loads of stuff that goes bang and some gadgets that cut through the darkness.

http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com

just been watching some footage taken with one, very impressive, very impressive price too
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

At what distance max does the image become unidentifiable and becomes just a heat signature if that makes sense, I assume with practice and use you can identify upto its max range.

thermal

I use a Flir thermal image camera day in day out in my work and it is fantastic , i use to search out squirrels in the trees .Being employed in red squirrel conservation it is great , basically i trap and shoot grey squirrels . The Flir is great for scanning the trees which alerts you well in advance if there is a squirrel about . Usefull in monitoring red squirrel populations and for picking out the greys .wouldnt want to be without mine now its amazing what you can find that otherwise you wouldnt know was there ..

Distance

After another outing (fruitless this time) I think you can safely recognise rabbits out to just under 100 yards foxes to 200 yards and deer even further.
    My Monday night outing was for fox on a golf course, I have kept on top of the rabbit and fox population so I did not expect to see many foxes. As this was the first outing on this golf course with the thermal I was surprised to see 6 muntjac spread out along one hedge line when I say hedge line it is approx 10 metres wide and very dense and about 500 yards long, when I first saw the heat sources from about 700 yards I thought it must be an escaped flock of sheep as I never suspected multiple muntjac in that area. When I halved the distance to about 350 yards I thought they were muntjac and at about 275 yards I could clearly confirm this I must add at this point it was a little foggy on Monday night so you could not spot these deer with a lamp. We saw no foxes on this trip but the potential of the thermal was yet again clear to see.
    Steve
    Steve

read a nice review on this product, seems to win over the Flir especially in the battery replacement area
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

Battery

I had at least 2 hours out of my batteries Monday evening. My only complaint is when battery low warning comes on you only have a matter of seconds left, not even enough time to grab a spare set from your pocket.
    Steve
    Steve

Different to mine then, Steve.

Mine seems to flash the battery indicator on and off for ages before it finally turns off. Maybe up to ten minutes.

George

South Molton, slightly to the North of Paddy
    What batteries are you using? Rechargeable or standard, this might make a difference in the shut off times.

ATB

CB

I'm using Ansmann 2850 rechargeables.

George

Just wondering if it was the difference in voltage between Nimh and alkaline batteries, and their different performance characterisics as they get to the end of their charge that was causing the rapid shut down.

ATB

CB
    Last edited by charlie basher; 22-02-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Or, as I understand it, 'protected' rechargeables do a quick shut off, rather than linger.

George

Quote Originally Posted by PESCA View Post
    Or, as I understand it, 'protected' rechargeables do a quick shut off, rather than linger.

George
    Yes thats the thing, alkaline go through a slow voltage drop (from 1.5V in an AA) whilst maintaining a deteriorating amount of power, but a Nimh battery holds its voltage closer to its 1.3V starting charge and then suddenly drops below a voltage capable of running the device you are using; thus not giving the device any time to initiate a low battery warning. I have struggled with a couple of "voltage sensitive" devices at home that will not entertain the thought of working with freshly charged AA batteries, but are fine with standard non rechargable alkaline batteries in them.

ATB

CB