Thread: Whats a good accurate classic 10 metre target pistol?

Whats a good accurate classic 10 metre target pistol?

Hi - I have been borrowing a rohm target pistol for my son (11) and its time to get our own.

I have been looking for a decent classic 10 metre target pistol such as a FWB 65 or a Hammerli Master .177.

Anyone have other suggestions? He must be able to cock it so some of the pneumatic ones are probably out of contention.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wsmk2 View Post
    Hi - I have been borrowing a rohm target pistol for my son (11) and its time to get our own.

I have been looking for a decent classic 10 metre target pistol such as a FWB 65 or a Hammerli Master .177.

Anyone have other suggestions? He must be able to cock it so some of the pneumatic ones are probably out of contention.

Thanks
    The Diana / Original mod 6M or 10M recoilless pistols are an alternative however they must be building good pressure as replacing seals is slightly more expensive than the norm (or the price must reflect this).

They tend to be cheaper than your suggestions, anyway.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Much as I adore the FWB65, I wouldn't recommend it for a child as it requires a measure of wrist strength to cock. It might be a little on the heavy side too, though I don't know how it compares with other pistols.

Matt

good match pistol

FWB mod 2 co2, sidelever cocking with little finger (yes that easy) fills from pub gas bottle with adapter, more accurate that most shooters, sold mine for £200.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    FWB mod 2 co2, sidelever cocking with little finger (yes that easy) fills from pub gas bottle with adapter, more accurate that most shooters, sold mine for £200.
    Another good value and excellent bulk fill CO2 pistol is the Walther CPM1. Without the balance weights it becomes a very light weight match pistol.
    Mine shoots at 510 ft/sec and gives 180 shots from each of the 2 cylinders. Price wise probably around £250 with case, tools and manual and £275 with large CO2 bottle included. New large CO2 bottles are quite cheap to buy/rent

An alternative light weight match pistol for a junior is the FAS 604 (although it is a SSP)
    Using a kneeling roll or rolled up bit of carpet laid on the shooting bench/table this pistol can be loaded safely and kept pointing down the range.
    My daughter used to shoot one when she was about 12 years old. A really nice one cased would be probably around £200 mark They are however a bit pricey new.
    hold me back !!

All a bit exotic for an 11 year old.
    I guess he wont be keen on complicated cocking and /or filling.

If he likes the Rohm try finding a good second hand one.
    I had a Top for a few years which has been doing the rounds between mates for £250.
    It must be 10 years old now.It has been trouble free and still shoots spot on.

I would suggest that a TAU 7 would be an ideal and accurate match pistol for an 11 year old to use.

Not too heavy, and very easy to cock with simple CO2 bulbs to provide the power.

At a cost of around £140 - £180 for a good used example in fair condition, this is a pistol that can blow away the Romm for accuracy, and from our clubs experience it is a lot nicer to shoot and a lot more reliable too!

The Model 65 and 80 pistols from Feinwerkbau are absolutely superb - but like the Original Model 6 and 10, and Walther LP2 and 3 they could be a bit hard for an 11 year old to cock after a few shots and are best kept for later years if the interest continues as he gets older (and stronger).
    Last edited by zooma; 28-02-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Smile

I will research the pistols suggested

He needs to be able to cock it easily - the pneumatic pistols can be difficult such as the Gammo so CO2 or PCP is ideal.

Not tried a FWB 65 for myself but the arm looked as though you can get decent leverage from the pics that I have seen.

The Rohm we have borrowed seems a but temperamental on power.

Fantastic advice from everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmk2 View Post
    Not tried a FWB 65 for myself but the arm looked as though you can get decent leverage from the pics that I have seen.
    I've never had a problem, but I know some people do; it being a sidelever, you're sort of pulling at an angle, so it can feel as if the left hand is twisting the pistol from the grasp of the right hand. My 10 year old nephews stand no chance of cocking it, but then they aren't the strongest of kids.

Matt

I prefer Diana 10 over FWB65 as well, I hate the sidelever cocking, and dont like the weight/balance, but the Diana is a stif cocker too.
    Maybe oldie co2 is best, as you said, maybe hammerli, or better spares wise, walther, FWB, etc
    ATB,
    yana

secretagentmole Guest
    Crosman 1377 or 1322!

He may not be abel to give it all the air ir needs to get to top power, but even at 4 pumps, still accurate!

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Another vote for the Tau-7; if the sleeve weight behind the foresight is removed, balance is improved and overall weight reduced. As zooma said, s/h examples are around for around £150 - 180 if you look at the standard, match versions are rarer and more expensive.

Details here;

http://my.tbaytel.net/coopers/Tau7Re...l#Tau7Versions

There is a junior version available as well.

The best way is to visit or join a club and ask to try other members guns; most shooters are happy to help in this way.

Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal