Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New .69 Mini Cannon

New .69 Mini Cannon

Hello,

Just thought some of you might be interested in my new purchase.. a .69 Mini Cannon
    I have been wanting one for quite a while now and a few of us in the club decided we would look into it. After looking around there was nothing that really ticked the boxes we where after. We had decided on .69 as the prefered cal but the ones we could find to buy anywhere where quite expensive and they did not seem to have the quality finish we where after. Luckily one of our club members is pretty amazing at CAD and engineering etc so plans where drawn up by him and sent to be made. It was quite a long wait but well worth it.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8386/8...2a02a9e325.jpg
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8089/8...c88fe35454.jpg
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8247/8...4772df308c.jpg
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8514/8...1473f2b4dd.jpg

There are also a couple of videos on Youtube if you search for Fulwoodshootingclub.

A few questions though.. we are looking to cast our own balls, we are using patched balls at the mo so will be casting .685 balls from range scrap, as we are using patched balls I think this means we do not need to worry about the hardness of the lead?

Next question - the proof house said they proofed the cannons with 2 & 1/2 inches of blackpowder - err what is this in grains? So far we are using 30 grains of pyrodex and it seems a fairly tame load but is making nice groups (no idea what a good group is with one of these as they have no sights!) but at 10 yards we can get 2 inch groups with concentration.

hope this is of interest.

Denno

Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post
    Hello,

Just thought some of you might be interested in my new purchase.. a .69 Mini Cannon
    I have been wanting one for quite a while now and a few of us in the club decided we would look into it. After looking around there was nothing that really ticked the boxes we where after. We had decided on .69 as the prefered cal but the ones we could find to buy anywhere where quite expensive and they did not seem to have the quality finish we where after. Luckily one of our club members is pretty amazing at CAD and engineering etc so plans where drawn up by him and sent to be made. It was quite a long wait but well worth it.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8386/8...2a02a9e325.jpg
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8089/8...c88fe35454.jpg
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8247/8...4772df308c.jpg
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8514/8...1473f2b4dd.jpg

There are also a couple of videos on Youtube if you search for Fulwoodshootingclub.

A few questions though.. we are looking to cast our own balls, we are using patched balls at the mo so will be casting .685 balls from range scrap, as we are using patched balls I think this means we do not need to worry about the hardness of the lead?

Next question - the proof house said they proofed the cannons with 2 & 1/2 inches of blackpowder - err what is this in grains? So far we are using 30 grains of pyrodex and it seems a fairly tame load but is making nice groups (no idea what a good group is with one of these as they have no sights!) but at 10 yards we can get 2 inch groups with concentration.

hope this is of interest.

Denno
    Very nice. The proof load used for your little cannon appears to be the amount of powder that occupies the bore to a depth of 2.5 inches from the bottom of the chamber. For instance, IF the cannon was .75" bore, then it is pi x 0.375 x 0.375 x h - h being 2.5.

I'll let YOU work it out.

Oh, alright. It's 0.9352 cubic inches. Easiest if you make a model of the bore and fill it up to the 2.5" line THEN measure that weight of mini-cannon grade BP - say FFg for the one that you have. OR, just do the same for Pyrodex RS - NOT P!!!! The Pyrodex RS should weigh around about 90% of the equal volume of BP - remember, it is VOLUME that you are looking for.

Remember also that this was the proof load and reduce your final load accordingly - 75% of whatever it was might be fine.

tac

PS - I'm VERY interested to know what grade steel you made it from - please PM me if you care to.

very nice, I look forward to reading more in the future

cannon

how about a copy of the drawings on cad

richard
    reloading is not cheaper You just shoot more

always wanted one of these,
    what was the total cost in the end?
    thanks,T

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    tac

PS - I'm VERY interested to know what grade steel you made it from - please PM me if you care to.
    Hi Tac, Thanks for the info, I was told which steel was used but cant remember - will find out though

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    always wanted one of these,
    what was the total cost in the end?
    thanks,T
    Total cost of the barrel was £375 although i got the carriage thrown in too because I have no woodwork skills at all and no one liked my idea of gaffa taping the barrel to a rollerskate

My father is an antiques collector and had one of these a few months back, I'll find out this afternoon what happened to it.
    I thought it was just an ornament?

Quote Originally Posted by shepp1 View Post
    My father is an antiques collector and had one of these a few months back, I'll find out this afternoon what happened to it.
    I thought it was just an ornament?
    I would guess it was just an ornament, as mine is a Section 1. I'm now trying to find a very cheap wooden ship kit to make a fun target with.

I would guess it was just an ornament, as mine is a Section 1. I'm now trying to find a very cheap wooden ship kit to make a fun target with.
    Section 1 firearm. What a heap of crap the gun laws are in this country. No wonder the rest of the free world laffs themselves fartless at what we have to go through to have smoothbore miniature cannon - EXACTLY what EVERY gang,member uses in their inter-gang warfare.

tac

He recons the one he had was potentially usable but as long as it is never fired then it does'nt need an FAC.
    He sold it for £400.

Quote Originally Posted by shepp1 View Post
    He recons the one he had was potentially usable but as long as it is never fired then it does'nt need an FAC.
    He sold it for £400.
    If is is drilled through into the chamber from the touch hole, then it sure does.

Here in UK it is a shootable and valid firearm with a hole like that.

tac

Section 1 firearm. What a heap of crap the gun laws are in this country. No wonder the rest of the free world laffs themselves fartless at what we have to go through to have smoothbore miniature cannon - EXACTLY what EVERY gang,member uses in their inter-gang warfare.

tac
    I know! and I'm fairly sure if you want a full size working cannon you only need a shotgun cert?

If is is drilled through into the chamber from the touch hole, then it sure does.

Here in UK it is a shootable and valid firearm with a hole like that.

tac
    Tac, I don't believe your statement is strictly true, if the aforementioned cannon is an antique then as long as it is kept as an ornament or curiosity then it is exempt under the firearms act and you can legally own one. However, the moment you go to fire it - and "intent" would be enough, it would then be designated a firearm under the Firearms Act.
    "All marriages are happy. It's living together afterwards that is difficult."

even if its smooth bore,if you shoot solid shot it has to be section one.
    i think its the same for BP rifles,
    will have to find out as i realy fancy one of these,T

Are you putting a scope rail on it

Lovely bit of engineering.