Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet sizer?

Pellet sizer?

Normally I use JSB Exact Premium 4.52, 8.44gr in my Steyr Challenge and get good results at 25m benchrest.
    I'm running low and do not seem to be able to locate a fresh supply that are not at stupid prices.

So I'm considering buying some standard JSB Exacts in 4.53, then weighing and sizing to produce my own 4.52/8.44gr Premiums.

KarlC kindly sold me a jewellery scale so the weighing bit is sorted.
    I have a couple of tins of 4.52 Exacts so will test them too, hopefully they will just need weighing.

Suggestion on pellet sizers please gents? I'm looking at the T.R.Robb (https://www.trrobb.com/Adjustable_Pe..._19548899.aspx) offering, any experience?

TIA.
    TTFN
    N.
    "The only difference between Men and Boys is the price they pay for their Toys."

Quote Originally Posted by LewesNick View Post
    Normally I use JSB Exact Premium 4.52, 8.44gr in my Steyr Challenge and get good results at 25m benchrest.
    I'm running low and do not seem to be able to locate a fresh supply that are not at stupid prices.

So I'm considering buying some standard JSB Exacts in 4.53, then weighing and sizing to produce my own 4.52/8.44gr Premiums.

I have a couple of tins of 4.52 Exacts so will test them too, hopefully they will just need weighing.

Suggestion on pellet sizers please gents? I'm looking at the T.R.Robb (https://www.trrobb.com/Adjustable_Pe..._19548899.aspx) offering, any experience?

TIA.
    I have a Terry Robb one and if as well made as mine they are good and adjustable
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

I have a Fenton pellet sizer in 4.52, if you know that's what you need, save the money and need for adjustment and get one of these for a tenner. Precision made, pop pellet in, push in with pusher out pops the pellet...simple. For the price of the tr Robb you can get every size you need and it quicker.

Bongo

TR Robb has a video on the pellet sizer worth watching if you do get one, its a good little bit of kit and will allow you to size to what you want whereas the push through jobbies while cheaper are obviously a one stop shop so the former will allow you to tweak

A pellet sizer is definitely a good idea. A few years back I measured a selection of half a dozen different pellets, head dia. and tail. dia and none of them corresponded to the nominal sizes stated on the tins.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Thanks all! Mr Robb will be slightly richer today.
    TTFN
    N.
    "The only difference between Men and Boys is the price they pay for their Toys."

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Remember, putting pellets through a sizer is essentially making them like a different batch number, so they will not perform the same as the rest of the tin, or batches of them if you have more.

It's also essential to go slowly when sizing, as some pellets may benefit from it, and others simply won't
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    We found that 80% of any benefit came from all the pellets being the same size rather than what that exact size was. Sadly, cheap chinese imports flooded the market at less than we could make them for here in the uk, they were also up to half a millimetre out from their advertised size.
    The bad press these poorly made, crappy chinese copies gained (putting the probe into the barrel in the UK legally constitutes "made in England". Really!) along with covid put us out of the pellet sizer business.
    Our more exacting customers have pestered us ever since, and we have found a new UK manufacturer and will have proper, accurate sizers available in stainless over the coming month or so.

TR Robb adjustables are great though, let us know how you get on

I wouldn’t bother with the head sizes on jsb. They’re rarely what is stated and often smaller. You can easily find 4.53 smaller than 4.51.

Try Air Arms directly, I've heard they have plenty of JSB exact 4.52 in stock.
    A

You would probably do better to weigh and head size the plain pellet I can never help think that sizing actually damages the pellet by forcing a size of the head to set diameter but at what cost.

It is effectively deforming a pellet that has already been formed.

And can you guarantee the form of this resizing damage is the same and consistant.

I have tried a lot of ways and to be honest, I cant really improve on killing a rabbit other than a decent make of pellet cant do straight from the tin.

If Ibwas a paper puncher, ok, I would possibly look at weighing, cleaning, head size, lead/antimony ratio etc.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I was just wondering if a pellet seater would size pellets in the breech?

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I was just wondering if a pellet seater would size pellets in the breech?
    to a point yes, but as some breeches have a lead in then possibly not very effectively. iirc correctly the "advantage" of a pellet seater was to ensure consistent placement in the breech rather than an attempt at sizing

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3 View Post
    Try Air Arms directly, I've heard they have plenty of JSB exact 4.52 in stock.
    A
    As per RobF 's quote above, the size stated on JSB or Air arms tins has no bearing on the pellets in the tin.

If you buy 4.52 or 4.53 they are never any different in size and are all usually around 4.51. They differ in how they shoot only by batch and die number.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by LewesNick View Post

TIA.
    Pellet sizers will not work 9/10 times, and your 4.52 pellets will be no different in size to your 4.53 pellets, but they might shoot differently only due to the batch or die.
    Just try different batches until you find a nice one, ignore the tin size it means zero. Good luck.
    BASC