Thread: What makes the nice click on a pb revolver?

What makes the nice click on a pb revolver?

Just got myself a Uberti .44 1851 Navy. It's shooting really nice (although I need to get a higher front post made up).
    When I bought it, I noticed the "clicks" on cocking were quite quiet. This didn't really worry me as it indexed fine. However, after giving it a complete strip and clean, the clicks are almost silent.
    As far as I can see, there are only three springs in the thing: The hammer spring - which just tensions the hammer (I can't see where it would tension the hand and bolt), or the spring under the trigger guard, which probably does tension the mechanism. Would this spring be responsible for the clicks?
    The other spring is the hand spring, however, rotating the cylinder half cocked sounds fine with loud clear clicks so there is a lot of tension there.
    So is it the spring under the trigger guard I need to look at/replace?

Cheers,
    Simon

The first click as you cock the gun is the hand indexing the cylinder over and engaging the ratchet at the back of the cylinder. The second 'click' is the bolt going home in the little slot in the cylinder. The 'clickety-clickety' noise as you rotate the cylinder on half-cock is the hand going over the ratchet on the rear face of the cylinder.

tac

so why so quiet?

Thanks Tac,
    So why is it soooo quiet on cocking? Is it a weak trigger and bolt spring?
    The reason for my concern is that some tension is required to keep the sears engaged (I would have thought)?
    Cheers
    Simon

Sounds like the bolt spring has gone flong for the last time. Krank has spares - look it up in the exploded diagram in the latest catalogue. While you are at it, you might as well replace ALL the springs - that can only be a good plan.

tac