Thread: BP Revolvers - Justification for multiple cylinders

BP Revolvers - Justification for multiple cylinders

I was wondering whether various Police Forces have different attitudes to the owning of multiple cylinders for BP revolvers? Are there any BP competitions for example that require a pair of cylinders for quick reloading and whether such comps are deemed justification? Also what is the distinction between having a spare cylinder and having a 'set' whereby both cylinders were originally provided with the revolver?

I apologise for all the questions but if requesting a variation I would be interested in how you would word the justification for wanting to own an additional cylinder. Imagine 'Target shooting' would be insufficient and evidence needed to be provided why rapid reloading was required.

Many thanks.

Hmmmm. Not sure how many manufacturers, if any, provide two cylinders with their guns - I've never heard of anybody doing it, but then, I've only been BP shooting since the late 1960s. Others with more experience of the rather odd laws hereabouts might care to put me right with regard to additional cylinders, but in general they each require an entry on your FAC as a independent and stand-alone item of gunnery.

I'm not up to the competitions that you shoot here, either, but the MLAGB does not appear to have any competitions that require a rapid reload using another pre-charged cyinder [minus caps].

Given the odd take on any kind of shooting that is outside the norm, I'd check with your FEO about the feasibiity of acquiring another cylinder, and what 'good reason' you might have for justifying it. Certainly, it is a pressure-bearing component of any revolving BP firearm, and so you can't actually just go into a gun-store and buy one like you can in the USA. I'd say that each case is taken on its merits with regard to the number you might have in your possession, and that each one is treated like an extra barrel for your rifle - like the SAKO quad, ror instance.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger Red View Post
    I was wondering whether various Police Forces have different attitudes to the owning of multiple cylinders for BP revolvers? Are there any BP competitions for example that require a pair of cylinders for quick reloading and whether such comps are deemed justification? Also what is the distinction between having a spare cylinder and having a 'set' whereby both cylinders were originally provided with the revolver?

I apologise for all the questions but if requesting a variation I would be interested in how you would word the justification for wanting to own an additional cylinder. Imagine 'Target shooting' would be insufficient and evidence needed to be provided why rapid reloading was required.

Many thanks.
    If "Target Shooting" is considered good reason for owning a BPP then the same holds true for a spare cylinder, just put down Target Shooting. There is no restriction on the number of magazines one can have for a .22lr LBP or for a Rifle.

Imagine nothing and just add one to your next list of variations. They might surprise you and just give it to you; it's a 'post-code' lottery out there. Some Constabularies will allow them without issue, others have issues. Or just say WTF and buy an LBR in the same calibre.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Durham Police have no issues with this, bought my .36 with a spare cylinder. I just asked for the .36 variation plus a spare cylinder and all was groovy.

What I will say, however, I've never needed it lol

All the advice has been given above so I won't add to it. I went through this at the last FAC renewal and my FEO (Wilts) was more than happy with entries for a .44 and .36 BP revolver along with 2 spare cylinders for each. The reason to own being target shooting.

So far I've only bought a .44, with it's original cylinder, though!
    Buckle
    Proud member of The YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Z1 Owners Club GB Wanted: Nothing at present!

Where would you get a spare cylinder from and how could you be sure it was timed correctly ?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by waterford103 View Post
    Where would you get a spare cylinder from and how could you be sure it was timed correctly ?
    Alan Westlake sells loads of them

http://westlakeengineering.com/15105.html

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post

I have a spare cylinder for my Westlake nitro Taurus, and also a spare loading block, for my Patriot pistol. No problem acquiring a slot for them.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post

Some beautiful revolvers there!
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

If I lived in the UK, I think I'd go the Westlake-smokeless route. Those Colt 1851's and Remington 1858's, etc. are very pretty: but I suspect the blackpowder mess would get old, after awhile.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I suspect the blackpowder mess would get old, after awhile.

Jim
    The opportunity to smoke out everyone else on the range & induce mass coughing up of lungs ? Nah, it never gets old
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    If I lived in the UK, I think I'd go the Westlake-smokeless route. Those Colt 1851's and Remington 1858's, etc. are very pretty: but I suspect the blackpowder mess would get old, after awhile.

Jim
    Hey Jim

Apologies to the OP - as I have nuthin' to add to this thread other than to say ....'Welcome Back' - been a long time !!

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    The opportunity to smoke out everyone else on the range & induce mass coughing up of lungs ? Nah, it never gets old

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Hey Jim

Apologies to the OP - as I have nuthin' to add to this thread other than to say ....'Welcome Back' - been a long time !!

Roy

Jim

David TS is offline Happiness is a warm L1A1 SLR
    Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Hey Jim

Roy
    Yes, nice to see you Jim .
    When I look back, the fondest memory I have is not really of the Goons. It is of a girl called Julia with enormous breasts.
    Spike Milligan